Hacking MenuHax was patched?

D

Deleted User

I've two 3ds and both with menuhax and rxtools, boot rate is 100% and since i'm a casual player i dont see the point of migrate my setup to a9lh.

Still today i'm updatind my 3ds without any issue.

But i'll do the question, what is the great vantage do migrate to a9lh? with rxtools i can encrypt the games to my system, that is possible too with a9lh? Beside of faster boot, what a9lh can give me that rxtools cant?
Rxtools is pretty old now.Luma has more features like being able to use region exclusive dlc,a gba boot screen patch for injected gba games and custom splash screens when you boot up.Its also has a 100% boot rate when auto booted.Luma is also risk free since all you need to do is drag and drop.Now a9lh is optional but I sudjest you switch to luma on emunand since there is no risk.I would do the a9lh install if you have 2 3ds's since if you back your stuff up you should have nothing to lose unless you really need that second 3ds for something important.

Last edited by ,

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I've two 3ds and both with menuhax and rxtools, boot rate is 100% and since i'm a casual player i dont see the point of migrate my setup to a9lh.

Still today i'm updatind my 3ds without any issue.

But i'll do the question, what is the great vantage do migrate to a9lh? with rxtools i can encrypt the games to my system, that is possible too with a9lh? Beside of faster boot, what a9lh can give me that rxtools cant?
These questions don't really make sense. A9LH is a "replacement" for menuhax, not a replacement for rxTools. And you can't encrypt games with A9LH, the same way you can't with menuhax.
But to answer your question anyway, Decrypt9 supports A9LH so you can encrypt/decrypt stuff with that too. And I even think there is an rxTools build somewhere that runs on A9LH anyway if you really want to use that (though no one would advise so).

kapapt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Rxtools is pretty old now.Luma has more features like being able to use region exclusive dlc,a gba boot screen patch for injected gba games and custom splash screens when you boot up.Its also has a 100% boot rate when auto booted.Luma is also risk free since all you need to do is drag and drop.Now a9lh is optional but I sudjest you switch to luma on emunand since there is no risk.I would do the a9lh install if you have 2 3ds's since if you back your stuff up you should have nothing to lose unless you really need that second 3ds for something important.

I've two 3ds, one with 16gb sd and another with 32gb sd, so.. i'll always lost data no? or i can use my emunand on a9lh with luma?

What is the best way to migrate to a9lh since i'm with menuhax and rxtools? and on Luma how i can decrypt the games to install?

Kurt91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I recall correctly, RxTools emuNAND cannot be updated to the latest version because it uses some obsolete files. Luma3DS uses more current files, so it can be updated fully. RxTools also interferes with the 3D effect, causing noticeable ghosting effects which can accelerate how quickly a player's eyes tire from using said 3D effect. This issue is not present with Luma3DS either. The main benefit to RxTools was the "Tools" part of the name, in how it could do a variety of additional things to your 3DS. The thing is, these tools are obsolete, and their standalone counterparts are more stable and currently updated.

Long story short, eventually you'll want to play a game that will require a firmware update that RxTools simply cannot handle. It's much easier to swap to the more up-to-date CFW that will be able to deal with it now, rather than after you attempt to do the update and mess up your EmuNAND.

Now, I have my own two cents that I'd like to put into the conversation. Yes, I'm aware of the benefits of using Luma3DS over RxTools, and I recently swapped over. However, I'm still using MenuHax for my own system. Why? Because the guide is designed from a stock system to the final result. I currently have an EmuNAND that has a number of games, homebrew, and emulators installed. I tend to play longer games such as RPGs, and so losing my EmuNAND with all of my save files is a bit of a concern for me. Furthermore, while I have a back-up NAND file already from when I set up my EmuNAND the first time, I'm not entirely certain where in the guide I'm meant to continue. I believe that I'm at the point where the only thing left to do is to run the SafeA9LHInstaller program. However, I still have a measure of uncertainty about that, and given the possible risk of bricking my system if I'm wrong, I decided that the safest approach is to just stick with MenuHax. I don't usually let the batteries run dead, and tend to recharge them when the light starts blinking, so the longer boot time is rarely a concern for me. On top of that, while I admit that EmuNAND is potential wasted space, I tend to only play a couple games at a time, and delete games that I've finished (while keeping the save data in case I want to play it again and re-install it), so my SD card is usually large enough for my needs.

Furthermore, if you think back to when MenuHax was the most recent entry-point, a common trick was to use two different colors to help differentiate between the two NANDs. Personally, I'm rather fond of the black color scheme, so I have SysNAND set to the red theme, and EmuNAND set as the black theme. MenuHax is also set to auto-boot into EmuNAND, so the risk of updating SysNAND is miniscule at most, and I can easily see if I've somehow booted into SysNAND, although that's never happened once I set up the auto-boot feature.

As much as everybody keeps saying that MenuHax is obsolete, I don't see a massive need to switch to A9LH at the moment. Yes, it's no longer updated, but it does what it needs to well enough for people like me. Unless I'm mistaken and there's another benefit to switching? I can understand urging people to swap from RxTools because it can lead to a major problem if not taken care of ahead of time. I don't see such an issue to using MenuHax once it's fully set up, so why does it seem almost hostile towards people who still choose to use it?

Reactions: xtheman and kapapt

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I've two 3ds, one with 16gb sd and another with 32gb sd, so.. i'll always lost data no? or i can use my emunand on a9lh with luma?
You can use your emuNAND on a9lh with Luma yes. Or you can use your emuNAND on menuhax with Luma without switching to a9lh. Or you can switch to a9lh on sysNAND with Luma and put your emuNAND on your sysNAND.

What is the best way to migrate to a9lh since i'm with menuhax and rxtools? and on Luma how i can decrypt the games to install?
Google "Plailect guide".
And Luma can't decrypt games, it's just a CFW, not Windows 8. But Decrypt9 can (and so can rxTools) so you can use that besides Luma.

D

Deleted User

What I'm saying is luma is emunand compatible so you don't need a9lh to run luma since it works on your emunand.Get comfortable with luma first before migrating to a9lh since it requires a second downgrade if you have a old 3ds.

kapapt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
These questions don't really make sense. A9LH is a "replacement" for menuhax, not a replacement for rxTools. And you can't encrypt games with A9LH, the same way you can't with menuhax.
But to answer your question anyway, Decrypt9 supports A9LH so you can encrypt/decrypt stuff with that too. And I even think there is an rxTools build somewhere that runs on A9LH anyway if you really want to use that (though no one would advise so).

I'm making the questions because on 3ds scene i'm a little lost... at the time i've modded my two 3ds to rxtools and never go to a9lh, i've read the guide but dont understanded it

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm making the questions because on 3ds scene i'm a little lost... at the time i've modded my two 3ds to rxtools and never go to a9lh, i've read the guide but dont understanded it
Don't worry, switching to a9lh isn't necessary. But switching to Luma is though (see how ACNL doesn't run on rxTools with its latest update for example). It's just a matter of copying files on your SD card and you'll be able to boot your current emuNAND with Luma. And you can keep rxTools as a dual-boot option to get access to the decrypting tools you like, if you don't want to use Decrypt9 (though no one would advise that).

kapapt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
What I'm saying is luma is emunand compatible so you don't need a9lh to run luma since it works on your emunand.Get comfortable with luma first before migrating to a9lh since it requires a second downgrade if you have a old 3ds.

My both 3ds are O3ds, the difference is that one is the "normal" and the another is xl version. I've read that the downgrade take some hours to do it. I've to read the tutorial and check it. I've never done it because i'm feeling confortable with the menuhax and rxtools

kapapt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
If I recall correctly, RxTools emuNAND cannot be updated to the latest version because it uses some obsolete files. Luma3DS uses more current files, so it can be updated fully. RxTools also interferes with the 3D effect, causing noticeable ghosting effects which can accelerate how quickly a player's eyes tire from using said 3D effect. This issue is not present with Luma3DS either. The main benefit to RxTools was the "Tools" part of the name, in how it could do a variety of additional things to your 3DS. The thing is, these tools are obsolete, and their standalone counterparts are more stable and currently updated.

Long story short, eventually you'll want to play a game that will require a firmware update that RxTools simply cannot handle. It's much easier to swap to the more up-to-date CFW that will be able to deal with it now, rather than after you attempt to do the update and mess up your EmuNAND.

Now, I have my own two cents that I'd like to put into the conversation. Yes, I'm aware of the benefits of using Luma3DS over RxTools, and I recently swapped over. However, I'm still using MenuHax for my own system. Why? Because the guide is designed from a stock system to the final result. I currently have an EmuNAND that has a number of games, homebrew, and emulators installed. I tend to play longer games such as RPGs, and so losing my EmuNAND with all of my save files is a bit of a concern for me. Furthermore, while I have a back-up NAND file already from when I set up my EmuNAND the first time, I'm not entirely certain where in the guide I'm meant to continue. I believe that I'm at the point where the only thing left to do is to run the SafeA9LHInstaller program. However, I still have a measure of uncertainty about that, and given the possible risk of bricking my system if I'm wrong, I decided that the safest approach is to just stick with MenuHax. I don't usually let the batteries run dead, and tend to recharge them when the light starts blinking, so the longer boot time is rarely a concern for me. On top of that, while I admit that EmuNAND is potential wasted space, I tend to only play a couple games at a time, and delete games that I've finished (while keeping the save data in case I want to play it again and re-install it), so my SD card is usually large enough for my needs.

Furthermore, if you think back to when MenuHax was the most recent entry-point, a common trick was to use two different colors to help differentiate between the two NANDs. Personally, I'm rather fond of the black color scheme, so I have SysNAND set to the red theme, and EmuNAND set as the black theme. MenuHax is also set to auto-boot into EmuNAND, so the risk of updating SysNAND is miniscule at most, and I can easily see if I've somehow booted into SysNAND, although that's never happened once I set up the auto-boot feature.

As much as everybody keeps saying that MenuHax is obsolete, I don't see a massive need to switch to A9LH at the moment. Yes, it's no longer updated, but it does what it needs to well enough for people like me. Unless I'm mistaken and there's another benefit to switching? I can understand urging people to swap from RxTools because it can lead to a major problem if not taken care of ahead of time. I don't see such an issue to using MenuHax once it's fully set up, so why does it seem almost hostile towards people who still choose to use it?

Thats my point of view... i'm using the same methot, i've the sysnand with one color and the emunand with black theme and beside that my 3ds also boots strait do emunand.

My questions here is the real advantage to go to a9lh since the only thing i care about on this system are the games and the tools of decrypt them.

D

Deleted User

Thats my point of view... i'm using the same methot, i've the sysnand with one color and the emunand with black theme and beside that my 3ds also boots strait do emunand.

My questions here is the real advantage to go to a9lh since the only thing i care about on this system are the games and the tools of decrypt them.
The real reason is:once its installed properly you can recover from bricks by restoring a NAND backup with the arm9 tools since they load before the 3ds boots.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal

Decrypt9 is vastly superior to RXTools, atm. You will not lose anything by changing. You will have FIRM protection, a boot-time recovery... etc. The advantages are many.

upfromtheskies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why does every question about menuhax lead to a shit storm of comments saying to switch to a0
The real reason is:once its installed properly you can recover from bricks by restoring a NAND backup with the arm9 tools since they load before the 3ds boots.
But if you're not doing anything that involves fucking around with your nand, that's not needed. The only real advantage to having a9lh installed if you're just playing games is fast boot times, nothing else. And yes, eventually the latest updates may not work with emunand, but if that happens, which seems unlikely, there would be nothing preventing us from switching to a9lh at that point in time when it's actually needed.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Why does every question about menuhax lead to a shit storm of comments saying to switch to a0

But if you're not doing anything that involves fucking around with your nand, that's not needed. The only real advantage to having a9lh installed if you're just playing games is fast boot times, nothing else. And yes, eventually the latest updates may not work with emunand, but if that happens, which seems unlikely, there would be nothing preventing us from switching to a9lh at that point in time when it's actually needed.
No, you lack knowledge. A9LH is THE currently supported entrypoint, it IS the superior one without any doubt, and offers way more than faster boot times, like, for example, the ability to use SysNAND CFW safely, making it unnecessary to install TWL/AGB titles to both NANDs. A9LH is also the best for new users, as 1) the guide holds your hand throughout the entire process, 2) the tools are as noob-proof as possible, 3) The end result makes it pretty much impossible for a noob to update the wrong NAND (as there isn't a wrong NAND, Luma3DS has FIRM protection impossible to disable, and you can update SysNAND or EmuNAND without worrying that it'll affect your CFW). etc. The advantages go on and on. Booted without an SD? No problem, the system is either 1) going to shut down if using an old A9LH/there is no NAND CFW or 2)The system will boot CFW from NAND and you'll still be protected.

upfromtheskies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, you lack knowledge. A9LH is THE currently supported entrypoint, it IS the superior one without any doubt, and offers way more than faster boot times, like, for example, the ability to use SysNAND CFW safely, making it unnecessary to install TWL/AGB titles to both NANDs. A9LH is also the best for new users, as 1) the guide holds your hand throughout the entire process, 2) the tools are as noob-proof as possible, 3) The end result makes it pretty much impossible for a noob to update the wrong NAND (as there isn't a wrong NAND, Luma3DS has FIRM protection impossible to disable, and you can update SysNAND or EmuNAND without worrying that it'll affect your CFW). etc. The advantages go on and on. Booted without an SD? No problem, the system is either 1) going to shut down if using an old A9LH/there is no NAND CFW or 2)The system will boot CFW from NAND and you'll still be protected.
I agree it's superior, but not that it's "noob" friendly, and it's certainly not necessary for someone just playing games. The installation takes far more time and effort than menuhax and risks bricking, while menuhax does not. Unless you're fucking around with the nand, or allowing someone to use your 3DS that may accidentally update sysnand, I see no reason to go through a lengthier installation and risk bricking. If a person thinks THEY themselves might accidentally update their sysnand, I wouldn't trust them installing a9lh and would advise them using menuhax until a9lh becomes a requirement.

Last edited by upfromtheskies,

Sketchy1

gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have clearly not helped like 20+ people personally with 3DS shit. The most confusing shit to explain to them is the whole sysnand/emunand what to boot for what purpose if you need decrypt9 you need to do this "the screen is yellow what did I do wrong" - "nothing it just crashed and did not work that happens you just try again" and loads and loads of more.

A9LH is just having your one nand. "can I update it" "yes" and that is all the help. "how do I decrypt9" "press start while powering on the system and you are gucchi" - not to speak of the bootrate problems or anything else. The only negative is the installation but N3DS owners can one click it back and that is that.

If you want a way to go back ask and take a vanilla 9.2 NAND backup for restoring back later.

There is really nothing A9LH looses at. OK right, you need some keys in a database because A9LH boot is so early that the keys are not set in memory yet.

But yeah A9LH is much more simple setup and so much more nicer to install to someone who is noob than menuhax setup. Or to tutorial through. Optimal menuhax setup is hex editing, lot of weird clutter and a lot of files on SD card that is confusing to keep track for those who just want to use their CFW but not get to know them much better. I know from the dozens of people I helped out personally with these things.
Did not help +20, but I did 7 friends, 4 family members, then set my own 3. And its not really that hard actually, emunand9 does the same shit, 2-3 clicks and your done. And menuhax doesn't require a hex edit to set up

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If you use luma with emunand and have luma set to autoboot by using Luma's boot.3dsx instead of the hbl's, the bootrate is 100%,the only thing that has the lower bootrate is menuhax and since menuhax has no more updates,its considered obsolete.Personally I'm happy with my setup since I have everything I need on emunand and downgrading again isn't very safe since downgrading any type of hardware can be dangerous.I could see if I was on a new 3ds,I would do the otpless install but for the old 3ds it's not safe for me.

Edit-I may still do a9lh soon but I might get a second 3ds first before I let my only 3ds get bricked.I really don't want to have to play showdown because my 3ds got bricked from a9lh lol
This.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

This to. And bro BTW I don't think anyone is being hostile :rofl:

Last edited by Sketchy1,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @K3Nv2, try SanDisk format tool?