WIP melonDS for Switch

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by Hydr8gon, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Hydr8gon
    OP

Hydr8gon Dragon Trainer

Dec 15, 2014
    Canada
    Hey guys, massive apologies for the mess that was the 0.7.2 release. I took a bit of a break, but now I'm back and here with the "solution" to the microphone crashing. I think the crash happens when launching from an installed NSP. I'm not sure why, and I can't confirm it because installing NSPs will net me a ban that I would like to avoid, but either way there's not much I can do. On top of that threading is still being dumb, but I worked around it and now the microphone will only be used if the option is set. Obviously this isn't a perfect solution since it'll still crash for anyone who had it crash before, but at least now changing the setting will prevent it. I think the last "fix" build I uploaded had busted audio (I never actually tested it though!) but this one should be good. Oh, I also fixed the save state option; when I was rushing the 0.7.2 release I forgot to update a value and it broke. I've got a 0.7.2 build with these fixes attached, please use it over the "official" 0.7.2 release. It's a bit too late for a hotfix and 0.7.3 is probably coming soon, so I won't bother with an actual release for this.

tl;dr Use the attached build, if it crashes turn off the microphone in the settings.

Attached Files:

Nevercholt, Rickyman and MythicalData like this.
  2. MythicalData

MythicalData GBAtemp Regular

May 11, 2017
    United States
    maybe

3. Codiox

Codiox GBAtemp Regular

Jan 19, 2016
    South Africa
    I get no sound in any roms I have tried. I use the nomic version from github. Can you help me?

4. Hydr8gon
    OP

Hydr8gon Dragon Trainer

Dec 15, 2014
    Canada
    Yeah, the nomic build had broken audio. I took it down. Try the build I just posted above, or worst case try 0.7.1. They should have working audio.

5. Codiox

Codiox GBAtemp Regular

Jan 19, 2016
    South Africa
    Sound works now, thank you!

Can't wait for HW support! Metroid prime works almost perfect.

6. mustafag32g

mustafag32g GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 30, 2014
    Argentina
    how is speed in games like pokemon or super mario 64 ?

7. arianadark

arianadark GBAtemp Fan

Nov 20, 2016
    United States
    slow

8. swabbo

swabbo Wot u doin readin dis m8?

Mar 9, 2011
    East Yorkshire/ A Bin
    mine just has a white screen when I run any game

9. Hydr8gon
    OP

Hydr8gon Dragon Trainer

Dec 15, 2014
    Canada
    Well that's a new problem. Bad BIOS/firmware dump maybe?

10. swabbo

swabbo Wot u doin readin dis m8?

Mar 9, 2011
    East Yorkshire/ A Bin
    Maybe :S I'll redump (hehexd) them and see how it goes

Yeah, new bios files worked, I blame this exFat MicroSD tbh, always corrupting nro files and stuff

Last edited by swabbo, Dec 30, 2018
  11. ZachyCatGames

ZachyCatGames GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 19, 2018
    United States
    Then switch to fat32 ;)

hippy dave likes this.
  12. minomore

minomore Member

Newcomer
    Dec 25, 2015
    Ive been on exfst since the start of switch modding and I've never had a problem. On a brighter note the progress for this emulator is outstanding keep up the amazing work. I expect amazing things and happy new year to u all.

13. Nevercholt

Nevercholt GBAtemp Regular

Jun 30, 2018
    Netherlands
    It's looking good @Hydr8gon :) Once there is a proper, full speed release I'm making a video :P

amplifier28 likes this.
  14. Hydr8gon
    OP

Hydr8gon Dragon Trainer

Dec 15, 2014
    Canada
    melonDS 0.7.3 is out! Check the melonDS website for info on what's changed in the core. On the Switch end, here's the changelog:
    Not much this time, but some important fixes. By the next release I'd like to get some more actual features done like input remapping, including hotkeys. But for now, the 0.7.3 core brings some nice improvements.

15. AnalogMan

AnalogMan ultraSuMoFramework Dev

Apr 20, 2007
    United States
  16. Keylogger

Keylogger GBAtemp Addict

May 3, 2006
    France
    I am testing with SM64DS with the switch on docked mode but I completely forgot I had to touch the screen at the begining of the game :rofl:

17. Hydr8gon
    OP

Hydr8gon Dragon Trainer

Dec 15, 2014
    Canada
    Heh, I wonder if there'd be any usable way to emulate touch control with the joystick or something, for docked mode. Right now docked mode is kind of borked anyways, or the sound is at least. Portable mode is the best way to play for now.

18. catlover007

catlover007 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 23, 2015
    Germany
    how about a gyro pointer, like other Switch games?

19. Hydr8gon
    OP

Hydr8gon Dragon Trainer

Dec 15, 2014
    Canada
    Ooh, that's not a bad idea. Definitely something to consider for the future.

20. Codiox

Codiox GBAtemp Regular

Jan 19, 2016
    South Africa
    Its amazing, also get you one of these cheap touch pens for smartphones. I got one as a gift and it works better than the shitty resistent Touch on the OG DS lol

Tried to get the actual free spot between the two screens:

[​IMG]

Nevercholt likes this.