Homebrew Megaman X For SnemulDS Patch?

mrtimotei

No More Heroes
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*Sigh* Okay, I'll ask this in a different way, since my last thread was closed for asking a rom. Can anyone give the PATCH made by Darkcube (I think that was his name
tongue.gif
) to PATCH a Megaman X rom so that the "armor bug" is fixed on SnemulDS? I would give much applies to anyone who could supply me with it. Remember PATCH!!! NOT ROM!!!

mrtimotei

No More Heroes
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*Head-desk* Okay, but when I requested a pre-patched rom, I got my thread closed. So thats out of the question. Man all I want to do is play a fully working version of megaman x on DS, is that so hard? Apparently it is...

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Since I'm in a helpful mood, I'll go ahead and try to look for the prepatched ROM, and put an IPS patch here for you.

EDIT: F**K it's not anywhere >.< I've been looking for an hour already, and there's nothing. All I get is other threads with people in the same situation as you, and some dead links to the original site. There's not even any mirrors to the patch. I even tried running the dead links through archive.org but it says that the site owner disallowed the caching of the site. Sorry, but there's nothing I can do.

mrtimotei

No More Heroes
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*The user pulls out a gun and points it at his head*
Okay, anyone else who reads this thread, just completely ignore it because it seems hopeless at this point...
*Pulls the trigger, nothing comes out...*
DAMN IT!

mrtimotei

No More Heroes
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh I've played the gameboy color port. To me, it was INSANELY hard. But with the help of save-states, I managed...
But regardless, I think Megaman X is better, thats the whole reason why I'm looking for the patch.

MasterPenguin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Hmm. I didn't find it insanely hard, though I did have it as a kid and mass played it on both SNES and on the go. lol. It's pretty sweet having save points half way through the levels.
biggrin.gif

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've been looking for this off and on for a while myself... just because I've seen it asked so many times.

While I haven't found an IPS patch or pre-patched ROM, I may have found a solution:
QUOTE('NorQue') said:
Megaman X has some weird banking issues that make some levels unsolvable on some emulators, if I remember correctly (do I?). Another IIRC: one could either patch that away, or do a simple "copy /b mmx.smc + mmx.smc mmxdouble.smc" for the same effect. Could be possible that the ROM needs to be headerless for this to work, though. My memory is a bit clouded there, that was all so long ago ('96? '97? '98?)...http://www.pocketheaven.com/ph/boards/view...p?p=52753#52753

You DO need a headerless ROM for this to work though.
QUOTE('DanTheMan') said:
Super Nintendo rom files often have a 512 byte header that's not really necessary. It might tell the name of the SNES copier used to dump the rom, for instance. If you open the file in a hex editor, you can remove the first 512 bytes manually ("200" bytes in hex) and see if it still works.http://www.pocketheaven.com/ph/boards/view...p?p=52757#52757

If you don't want to mess around with the command line, or typing in (or renaming) long file names, you can use this:CODE
copy /b %1 + %1 "%~n1 (doubled)%~x1"
Just copy the line and paste it into a Text Editor (like Notepad) and save it as a .BAT file (Make sure you change the extension!!!) then just Drop your Mega Man X ROM onto it and a new file will come out.

mrtimotei

No More Heroes
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@twiztidsinz

How exactly do you remove the bytes from the rom with a hex editor? I opened it up in a hex editor and got a scramble of letters and numbers that made no sense to me...
Call me stupid, but I suck at rom hacking/coding...

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
mrtimotei said:
@twiztidsinz

How exactly do you remove the bytes from the rom with a hex editor? I opened it up in a hex editor and got a scramble of letters and numbers that made no sense to me...
Call me stupid, but I suck at rom hacking/coding...
Open it with a hex editor (I like HxD) and select the first 200 bytes, then hit Delete.
MMX.png

You only want to do this if the ROM has a header on it... I'm not sure exactly what an SNES ROM header looks like, but judging by the description by DanTheMan, I would think it would be at least semi-readable.

mrtimotei

No More Heroes
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I just tried cutting the 200 bytes from a Megaman X V1.0 and V1.1 Rom and then using that .bat command. The V1.0 rom just gave me a white screen, while the V1.1 rom... unfortunately, worked, but still no armor carried over after beating a boss. So, in the end, it looks like our only hope is that patch. If ANYONE has/finds it, PLEASE post it here.

EDIT:
I could tell what the header was in the rom while in the hex editor. It was (if looking at the right side of the window) just ".........." and so forth for the first 200 bytes.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I recall correctly, the 512-byte header is mostly empty space. It should be somewhat intuitive when looking at the first 512 bytes versus the next bit where the game data actually starts.

If you're using XVI32 (my preferred hex editor) do make sure to resize the window horizontally so you get 16 bytes per row. Thus every row will start at a new digit increment (IE, first row contains bytes 01 through 0F, second row is 10 through 1F, etc). Remember you're looking at the first 512 decimal bytes, which is 0x200 hexadecimal bytes.

Unfortunately I have never found this patch file anywhere either.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Imagine putting your butt near it :tpi: