Megaman X For SnemulDS Patch?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by mrtimotei, Feb 19, 2011.

Feb 19, 2011
  1. mrtimotei
    OP

Member mrtimotei The Legends' Proxy

United States
    *Sigh* Okay, I'll ask this in a different way, since my last thread was closed for asking a rom. Can anyone give the PATCH made by Darkcube (I think that was his name [​IMG]) to PATCH a Megaman X rom so that the "armor bug" is fixed on SnemulDS? I would give much applies to anyone who could supply me with it. Remember PATCH!!! NOT ROM!!!

2. Son of Science

Member Son of Science GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    It's really hard to find it, you're better off finding a prepatched rom.

3. mrtimotei
    OP

United States
    *Head-desk* Okay, but when I requested a pre-patched rom, I got my thread closed. So thats out of the question. Man all I want to do is play a fully working version of megaman x on DS, is that so hard? Apparently it is...

4. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    Since I'm in a helpful mood, I'll go ahead and try to look for the prepatched ROM, and put an IPS patch here for you.

EDIT: F**K it's not anywhere >.< I've been looking for an hour already, and there's nothing. All I get is other threads with people in the same situation as you, and some dead links to the original site. There's not even any mirrors to the patch. I even tried running the dead links through archive.org but it says that the site owner disallowed the caching of the site. Sorry, but there's nothing I can do.

5. mrtimotei
    OP

United States
    *The user pulls out a gun and points it at his head*
    Okay, anyone else who reads this thread, just completely ignore it because it seems hopeless at this point...
    *Pulls the trigger, nothing comes out...*
    DAMN IT!

6. MasterPenguin

Member MasterPenguin GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Well, you could always give the GBC port a shot. Not as good as the SNES, but it's still a great port.

7. mrtimotei
    OP

United States
    Oh I've played the gameboy color port. To me, it was INSANELY hard. But with the help of save-states, I managed...
    But regardless, I think Megaman X is better, thats the whole reason why I'm looking for the patch.

8. MasterPenguin

Member MasterPenguin GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Hmm. I didn't find it insanely hard, though I did have it as a kid and mass played it on both SNES and on the go. lol. It's pretty sweet having save points half way through the levels. [​IMG]

9. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    I've been looking for this off and on for a while myself... just because I've seen it asked so many times.

While I haven't found an IPS patch or pre-patched ROM, I may have found a solution:
    Just copy the line and paste it into a Text Editor (like Notepad) and save it as a .BAT file (Make sure you change the extension!!!) then just Drop your Mega Man X ROM onto it and a new file will come out.

10. mrtimotei
    OP

United States
    @twiztidsinz

How exactly do you remove the bytes from the rom with a hex editor? I opened it up in a hex editor and got a scramble of letters and numbers that made no sense to me...
    Call me stupid, but I suck at rom hacking/coding...

11. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    Open it with a hex editor (I like HxD) and select the first 200 bytes, then hit Delete.
    [​IMG]

You only want to do this if the ROM has a header on it... I'm not sure exactly what an SNES ROM header looks like, but judging by the description by DanTheMan, I would think it would be at least semi-readable.

12. mrtimotei
    OP

United States
    So I just tried cutting the 200 bytes from a Megaman X V1.0 and V1.1 Rom and then using that .bat command. The V1.0 rom just gave me a white screen, while the V1.1 rom... unfortunately, worked, but still no armor carried over after beating a boss. So, in the end, it looks like our only hope is that patch. If ANYONE has/finds it, PLEASE post it here.

EDIT:
    I could tell what the header was in the rom while in the hex editor. It was (if looking at the right side of the window) just ".........." and so forth for the first 200 bytes.

13. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    If I recall correctly, the 512-byte header is mostly empty space. It should be somewhat intuitive when looking at the first 512 bytes versus the next bit where the game data actually starts.

If you're using XVI32 (my preferred hex editor) do make sure to resize the window horizontally so you get 16 bytes per row. Thus every row will start at a new digit increment (IE, first row contains bytes 01 through 0F, second row is 10 through 1F, etc). Remember you're looking at the first 512 decimal bytes, which is 0x200 hexadecimal bytes.

Unfortunately I have never found this patch file anywhere either.