Meet the Slider Pad

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Gahars, Oct 5, 2011.

Oct 5, 2011

Meet the Slider Pad by Gahars at 3:44 AM (2,805 Views / 0 Likes) 46 replies

1. Gahars
    OP

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    So, it seems that Nintendo has come out with the official name (in the United States) of the slider pad. They're calling it... the Slider Pad.

Well, at least they aren't beating around the bush.

So yeah. Not many other details have been released about the add on, but if you want to stay on the lookout for them, now you know the name to look for.

Source.

I still think that this is a mistake on Nintendo's part, but only time will tell now. The exact release date hasn't been announced, but considering that it is compatible with the RE: Revelations, I wouldn't be surprised if the launches are, at the very least, somewhat near each other.

2. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    Personally I don't think it's a mistake. No idea why.

3. Fishaman P

Member Fishaman P Speedrunner

United States
    I'm pretty sure they announced the release date as sometime in December...
    Off the top of my head, I'd say the 12th.

4. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    Personally I think they should do a portable-like version because it, imo, doesn't seem it is meant be move place to place
    by way it was design...

Unless you carry your game controller around on a normal bases. [​IMG]

I'm not really sure if it a mistake.

I think the only way it would become a mistake is if a game makes it required.

I'm not really sure if the majority of people would even care how it looks...

5. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    A lot of people care about how it looks, actually. All the feedback on it is about its looks.
    But I honestly don't care about the size (and I still wouldn't care if I had a 3DS). My DSi XL fits in my pocket just fine, and this you could easily take off anyway.
    @KingVamp: It wouldn't be like bringing a controller everywhere. Controllers are a lot bigger than this, even with the extra slide pad, plus they have grips (which no handheld has).

6. chris888222

Singapore
    The way I see it - the control options look similar to the Wii U.

7. nando

Member nando GBAtemp Addict

United States
    When will nintendo come up with hardware that doesn't involved an after market prostethic. Maybe is the Asian rice rocket culture

8. awssk8er

Member awssk8er GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I've never cared about looks when it comes to gaming... but it's honestly ridiculous.

Well, not even the looks of it, just the size. I play my 3DS when I'm out of the house, and that defeats the purpose of it, because it can't fit in my pocket.

I don't know, the way I see it is that while a second analog is useful, this adds more of a hassle than benefit. Personally, there's no way I would use this add-on, even if it was a game I really wanted.

I'm just praying it is not required for any games.

9. chris888222

Singapore
    You do know that the pad is optional, right?

Take a look at MH3G for example. Even without the slider pad, the controls are a breeze.

If it really does have something to do with the Wii U, then it DOES benefit. Otherwise I'll just use this at home.

10. awssk8er

Member awssk8er GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    As of right now it's optional. They always could release games later on and make it so it's required.

11. chris888222

Singapore
    It reminds me of Wii Fit all of a sudden.

Only time can tell. But I doubt that a lot of games will make it compulsory.

12. ferofax

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    who cares how it looks. once you get a feel for it and see it working in tandem with awesome games, you'll probably never have second thoughts afterwards.

i personally am excited at the prospect of a bigger, comfier grip.

13. KidIce

Member KidIce Smart Ass

United States
    My 3DS pouch holds a 3DS and my Nyko Power Pack+ just fine. It will not hold this slider attachment. I will have to remove my Power Pack+ to use said attachment. The inside breast pocket of my jacket holds my 3DS + NPPP + pouch, it will not hold the slider.

It IS a mistake! Nintendo just admitted that THEY think that the 3DS should have had a second analog controller. Now some people are sitting around waiting for the new version of the 3DS that has that second slider built in before they buy a 3DS. Lower sales of the hardware means lower sales of licenses. They should have ignored it the same way Sony did w/ the PSP. A second analog stick has been underutilized for ages (barring FPS), and a touch screen can be a very effective substitute.

It will ONLY become an even bigger mistake if there AREN'T block buster games that REQUIER the second slider. Want proof? Look at the 6 button Sega Genesis pad. It had a decent amount of support from 3rd parties (initially), they bundled it w/ games and new consoles, etc. And even the EOL games for the Genesis didn't support the thing. Not a single game required the 6 button pad, not even the fighters it was made for. The only games that really put it to use were Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat. Seriously look at the success of ANY peripheral for a gaming console, and double check the success of portable ones of it. The slider add on will fail.

As for me, I'm not worried about its looks... Just its size and portability. If something compelled me to buy one (i.e. awesome game + required for intended control scheme) and I did buy one, I'd still never take anywhere w/ me. I can't fit a VHS cassette in any of my pockets... AND ITS NOT REQUIRED TO PLAY A SINGLE GAME ON MY 3DS. See what I'm getting at?

14. Hyro-Sama

Member Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Japan
    I thank you Nintendo for giving me another reason to not purchase a 3DS. I will wait patiently until a version of the 3DS is released that has a slider pad built-in. [​IMG]

15. Terminator02

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States
    They have this picture, which I find interesting. Apparently they resized the circlepad so that now it's equal in size to the one on the 3ds.

[​IMG]

16. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    hopefully it'll be around the time paper mario, Luigi M and mario land is released [​IMG]

17. ShadowFyre

Member ShadowFyre GBAtemp Fan

United States
    God, if I ever get a 3DS I might be forced to use this atrocity. DAMN MY LEFT-HANDEDNESS.

18. chris888222

Singapore
    If games really force you to use this - I'll boycott Nintendo for good. But I just don't see this happening. At most they'll just give you a crap single stick option and duo analog option.

19. FireGrey

Member FireGrey Undercover Admin

Australia
    It will easily fit in your pocket unless the 3DS without slider pad doesn't fit/barely fits in your pocket.
    It only adds on about 30% in size.
    I never put my DS in my pocket, it just pulls my pants down [​IMG]
    I might not be getting the Slider Pad because there would probably be no games I want that will be using it.
    FPS games aren't really for handhelds.
    But if another company like the one that made the 3DS Power Pak decided to intergrate the better battery into it that powers both the 3DS and Slider Pad and lasts longer then i'll buy it.
    I hope they make the Slider Pad work on the Home menu, internet browser, eShop and all that.
    This is off topic but since the 3DS can play MP3 files, I hope that when the Video Channel comes out you can watch AVI files, or some other type.

20. chris888222

Singapore
    which is still smaller than a DSi XL.

By the way, I tried it out, the XL still sits in my pocket well