McDonald's releases new free-to-play web browser game, "Grimace's Birthday", developed as a new GameBoy Color ROM in 2023

Untitled.png

In an unexpected turn of events, McDonald's has started a new marketing campaign, announcing the return of their beloved McDonaldLand characters, like Grimace, Birdie the Early Bird, Hamburgular and the McNugget Buddies, as well as promoting a new ice cream shake "Grimace's Birthday". However, that wasn't the only way in which McDonald's is making said promotions.

McDonald's opened a new website titled "grimacesbirthday.com", and users are greeted with a surplus of ad-like images containing McDonald's marketing material, and the most interesting of all, is a free-to-play game in the website, appropriately titled "Grimace's Birthday". At first glance, and for those who have been in the internet for quite some time, the title might seem like your typical Java or Flash game running in the website, but the reality of it is entirely different.

"Grimace's Birthday" is actually an entirely new GameBoy Color ROM developed by Krool Toys, a new release for the GBC system in 2023, more than 2 decades after the device has been out of stores.
Those interested in playing the game can do so directly through McDonald's website, but a dump of the game has also been making its rounds online in ROM format.

UPDATE: The game "Grimace's Birthday" was made specifically for this celebration in 2023, and it was done with the use of GB Studio.

:arrow: Grimace's Birthday website
:arrow: GB Studio Central article

Timbo303

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just tested the rom on sameboy emulator with retroarch. I noticed some weird stuff going on that lags and glitches out the emulator on sameboy when you do score attack or freeskate and then it will somrtimes do weird stuff. You can beat the main game though. Gambette seems to work fine.
Post automatically merged:

Access denied. Looks like they wisened up. Anyone got a link?
Im able to download it.

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This game is actually not bad. I’m not great all the time with touch screen controls but I still managed to play well. Will be playing this with actual buttons when I get a chance.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Chelsea_Fantasy

Someone who hates slow internet connections
Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba

ciaomao

Well-Known Dude
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Bonus, now that my batteries are charged - here's what you get when you run it on an older Gameboy:

View attachment 377744
damn it, I am locked out from the party. thx for the hint, saved me some time. how can they be so heartless and only think about the kids with the newfangled color video game devices!

Last edited by ciaomao,
Reactions: impeeza

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
They uploaded a new revision of the game and changed the link, here it is:
https://grimacesbirthday.com/bX4TvUeiUEfKRw8bkPGaB.gb
Thanks. Gotta admit that was unexpected as f*ck.
GB Studio games are spawning like crazy here and there. Everyone who's a little bored seem to put one out and I appreciate it because even if only 1 out of 100 is decent it means I get a decent new GB game (Reddit helps a lot finding that 1 out of 100).
However seeing this from one of the biggest (fast food) franchises of the world, that worked together with Nintendo many times in the past, is a real surprise because, it definitely seem to be an unofficial aftermarket game. Legit but surprising. I take it.

Reactions: impeeza

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cool. I just grabbed the rom (I found two; one with a .gb extension and another with a .gbc extension, but both seem identical other than the file extension) and I'll give it a go on real hardware.

The file I downloaded from the official site yesterday (without a correct file extension), and the .gb file I downloaded today have different hashes, so it may be a revision for minor bugfixes, content changes, etc.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?