McDonald's releases new free-to-play web browser game, "Grimace's Birthday", developed as a new GameBoy Color ROM in 2023

Untitled.png

In an unexpected turn of events, McDonald's has started a new marketing campaign, announcing the return of their beloved McDonaldLand characters, like Grimace, Birdie the Early Bird, Hamburgular and the McNugget Buddies, as well as promoting a new ice cream shake "Grimace's Birthday". However, that wasn't the only way in which McDonald's is making said promotions.

McDonald's opened a new website titled "grimacesbirthday.com", and users are greeted with a surplus of ad-like images containing McDonald's marketing material, and the most interesting of all, is a free-to-play game in the website, appropriately titled "Grimace's Birthday". At first glance, and for those who have been in the internet for quite some time, the title might seem like your typical Java or Flash game running in the website, but the reality of it is entirely different.

"Grimace's Birthday" is actually an entirely new GameBoy Color ROM developed by Krool Toys, a new release for the GBC system in 2023, more than 2 decades after the device has been out of stores.
Those interested in playing the game can do so directly through McDonald's website, but a dump of the game has also been making its rounds online in ROM format.

UPDATE: The game "Grimace's Birthday" was made specifically for this celebration in 2023, and it was done with the use of GB Studio.

:arrow: Grimace's Birthday website
:arrow: GB Studio Central article

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Just played through the website and the game is pretty decent for a fast food game. I would have liked it as a kid. :)

Agree, I played it a bit as well, and it seemed really fun. Certainly a very decent game if it was released back then.

I can easily put this on my everdrive and play on OG hardware, I'll just not do it. I don't want my gameboy to get fat.

(fine... I admit, I do liked this news, it's fun to see the gameboy color still alive after all those decades)

I'd be curious to know if it actually works on an original Gameboy Color with an Everdrive.
I only have the EZ Flash Omega and a GBA, so I'd have to rely on GBC emulation on a GBA to see if it works, so it'd not be that reliable.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Agree, I played it a bit as well, and it seemed really fun. Certainly a very decent game if it was released back then.

I'd be curious to know if it actually works on an original Gameboy Color with an Everdrive.
I only have the EZ Flash Omega and a GBA, so I'd have to rely on GBC emulation on a GBA to see if it works, so it'd not be that reliable.

Didn't play it but it does boot and get to the main menu on an EZFlash Jr (that may or may not be a clone, can't remember)

1686683083655.png

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel like these sorts of headlines are a bit less novel when the vast majority of them, including this one apparently, are developed in GB Studio, which is basically 'rpg maker for game boy' It's not like they hand coded this in assembly or something, anyone can make a new Game Boy game in the year 2023. Which is cool, yeah! But it's not a remarkable feat.

On the other hand though this is peak gaming experience and deserves to win GOTY

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat