McDonald's releases new free-to-play web browser game, "Grimace's Birthday", developed as a new GameBoy Color ROM in 2023

Untitled.png

In an unexpected turn of events, McDonald's has started a new marketing campaign, announcing the return of their beloved McDonaldLand characters, like Grimace, Birdie the Early Bird, Hamburgular and the McNugget Buddies, as well as promoting a new ice cream shake "Grimace's Birthday". However, that wasn't the only way in which McDonald's is making said promotions.

McDonald's opened a new website titled "grimacesbirthday.com", and users are greeted with a surplus of ad-like images containing McDonald's marketing material, and the most interesting of all, is a free-to-play game in the website, appropriately titled "Grimace's Birthday". At first glance, and for those who have been in the internet for quite some time, the title might seem like your typical Java or Flash game running in the website, but the reality of it is entirely different.

"Grimace's Birthday" is actually an entirely new GameBoy Color ROM developed by Krool Toys, a new release for the GBC system in 2023, more than 2 decades after the device has been out of stores.
Those interested in playing the game can do so directly through McDonald's website, but a dump of the game has also been making its rounds online in ROM format.

UPDATE: The game "Grimace's Birthday" was made specifically for this celebration in 2023, and it was done with the use of GB Studio.

:arrow: Grimace's Birthday website
:arrow: GB Studio Central article

lenniequest

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool. I just grabbed the rom (I found two; one with a .gb extension and another with a .gbc extension, but both seem identical other than the file extension) and I'll give it a go on real hardware.
Where'd you grab the .gbc file at?
Post automatically merged:

Cool. I just grabbed the rom (I found two; one with a .gb extension and another with a .gbc extension, but both seem identical other than the file extension) and I'll give it a go on real hardware.

Appears to work on real hardware.
View attachment 377715

I'm not digging out my flashers and a double-A's for a test on a real GBC and single game flashcart, but it's running on an Analogue Pocket and an ED X7 so it's basically guaranteed to work on original hardware as well.
Are you able to just throw the .gb file into the GB Studio folder, or how did you get a .pocket file?

CanIHazWarez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you able to just throw the .gb file into the GB Studio folder, or how did you get a .pocket file?
You have been able to play roms on the Analogue Pocket for some time now using openFPGA. But also, there are patches to convert normal roms to .pocket files. They exist for most games, but someone would need to create one for one-off games like this.

skribbzthepirate

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Grimace looks like Barney's god damn testicles, of course those other fat fucks aren't anywhere to be found! They don't wanna hang around with a big stinky URPLE sack of fucking flesh like him! Well, at least he looks like he shaved...

At least the game has some nba young boy tunes too yeah im fuckin lovin it

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Grimace looks like Barney's god damn testicles, of course those other fat fucks aren't anywhere to be found! They don't wanna hang around with a big stinky URPLE sack of fucking flesh like him! Well, at least he looks like he shaved...

At least the game has some nba young boy tunes too yeah im fuckin lovin it
Somebody give this man a tip. :rofl2:

willray

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can easily put this on my everdrive and play on OG hardware, I'll just not do it. I don't want my gameboy to get fat.

(fine... I admit, I do liked this news, it's fun to see the gameboy color still alive after all those decades)
where did you get the rom been trying to fins it but i keep getting led back to the archives links witch done work fro some reason

I can easily put this on my everdrive and play on OG hardware, I'll just not do it. I don't want my gameboy to get fat.

(fine... I admit, I do liked this news, it's fun to see the gameboy color still alive after all those decades)
help could you tell me where you got the rom for it

skribbzthepirate

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
where did you get the rom been trying to fins it but i keep getting led back to the archives links witch done work fro some reason
Hold up cuh I got you, i am skribbler#1095 on discord

The archive.org link does have the game, you just have to download the GBC ROM and play it in an emulator.
*snip*
---------------------------------------------
I want to try and rip the rom myself too, I also wonder how the uploader on the IA got 4 versions?

Last edited by DinohScene,

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP

People grabbed it legally on the developer's tab on the official website.

I got on an illegal and evil romsite.

temp75

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks. Gotta admit that was unexpected as f*ck.
GB Studio games are spawning like crazy here and there. Everyone who's a little bored seem to put one out and I appreciate it because even if only 1 out of 100 is decent it means I get a decent new GB game (Reddit helps a lot finding that 1 out of 100).
However seeing this from one of the biggest (fast food) franchises of the world, that worked together with Nintendo many times in the past, is a real surprise because, it definitely seem to be an unofficial aftermarket game. Legit but surprising. I take it.
I think I know who you talk about when you say you find 1 good game out of 100. There's a dude who post his gameboy games on reddit & they are very good.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Access denied. Looks like they wisened up. Anyone got a link?
https://file.io/wT5vAan2QcGx
Cool. How did you know where to look?
Wait, does that count as "sharing warez"? Honestly asking.
Nah. It's from the official website.

This file was downloaded from the official website which seems like the link no longer allows to download it. Cool GBC game. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto