Status
Not open for further replies.

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Let's hope IOSU gets released soon because it's the only thing capable of ressurecting the Wii U before Breath of the Wild hammers the final nail in the console's coffin.

Reactions: Maximilious

b17bomber

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I assume the devs are thinking or knowing there's going to be a system update monday. There is some NNID and Online Play maintenance scheduled from 1-7pm Pacific Time Monday. I think I wanna do my eshop shopping before then.

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I assume the devs are thinking or knowing there's going to be a system update monday. There is some NNID and Online Play maintenance scheduled from 1-7pm Pacific Time Monday. I think I wanna do my eshop shopping before then.
Maintenance scheduling does not equal system update. We've been down this road many times

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
if we had an update for every maintnence stop we would be on 15.5.0 by now lol.

b17bomber

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes I'm aware not every maintenance means an update, I just wonder if "there won't be many opportunities" meant something more.

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
Can I just say I'm ridiculously proud for some reason of the more paranoid 'temp members for being willing to listen to the devs, change their minds and drop previous habits in acknowledgement that it is the best path to take? Sure, all the how do I update from spoofed old firmware to 5.5.1s have gotten fairly annoying I presume, but the fact that people are actually listening and want to do it is radical.

Or I'm just being too optimistic about a basic thing everyone should've already been doing.
If I had to update to FW551 just because of an up and coming IOSU Exploit on the backs of a devs say so for the wiiu but nothing else worked I would of never updated it but tbh thinking really hard as I did, FW551 works just the same as FW532, everything that worked on FW532, now works on FW551 so you are not missing out on anything and it works the same, there is no instability or anything wrong with FW551 at all!. So yes, that was the reason why I decided to go and update not because of any dev telling me to update.

Last edited by Reecey,

yahoo

G͝B͢A͜t͞em҉p̡ R̨e͢g̷ul̨aŗ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Both WiiUBrew and @WulfyStylez say 5.5.1 is needed.

Nope, WulfyStyles does not in anyway say you need to be on 5.5.1. He actually says that 5.5.X is a little more complicated to exploit, compared to prior firmware versions, because it requires some additional ROP. Re-read this post:

I'd recommend all end-users jump to 5.5.1, there's literally no reason to stay on older fws any more. NUS-based offline updates are possible but probably won't be prepared for the initial launch. If N ships an update in the meantime, you'd be waiting unless you own a disk with the right update.
You can probably explain your way out of updating until the end of time but like... there's really nothing to lose by updating. Pinky swear.

Technical explanation: the main change in 5.5 IOSU (in hax terms) is that they verify SP is within the thread's specified stack addrs. If your SP is way out of range and you try to do syscalls, you'll panic. This is really trivially worked around in ROP, so it doesn't matter much. If you're (very specifically) a user trying to make exploits from public vulns who is also really bad at ROP for some reason, I wouldn't recommend you update. Literally everyone else should.

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
Nope, WulfyStyles does not in anyway say you need to be on 5.5.1. He actually says that 5.5.X is a little more complicated to exploit, compared to prior firmware versions, because it requires some additional ROP. Re-read this post:
I would say this says 110% you should update to FW551>"I'd recommend all end-users jump to 5.5.1" unless of course you haven't got your glasses on right.

:ph34r:'d by @DespyCL :)

Last edited by Reecey,
Reactions: DeslotlCL

yahoo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would say this says 110% you should update to FW551>"I'd recommend all end-users jump to 5.5.1" unless of course you haven't got your glasses on right.
He also implies that they have already exploited IOSU below 5.5 to be able to state how it differs.

yahoo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have they? that's news to me. It says "possible" not definite.
The technical explanation section in this post: https://gbatemp.net/goto/post?id=6604507 to me says: 5.5.X added some additional checks in IOSU that can be trivially worked around with ROP.

Which implies they know how to exploit below 5.5.X to state this difference and how they worked around it.

mariogamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There is no reason for this. Nintendo probably already know the flaw,and will probably not check the source of an exploit like this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    oh my...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ffs officials are closed on juneteenth guess it's fairly new became federal in 21:rofl2:
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I figured you'd be down at the parade anyways.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I still own slaves just ask ancientboi his nicknames mister slave
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Poor Lemmiwinks...
  • ModernSithLord @ ModernSithLord:
    @BigOnYa Great episode, camp of tolerance
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Thanks, we try to make every episode, special.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I saw a $15 south park bundle box at Walmart kinda wish I bought it
    +2
  • ModernSithLord @ ModernSithLord:
    I remember seeing the movie when I was young, made me swear up a storm when I got home. lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm gonna buy it if I see it there tomorrow
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That beanie will look good on you, Kentman
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It would look better on urewife it would be like boning myself
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Started a new game last night called "The Quarry", pretty damn good. Feels/ looks like a movie. About a summer camp where local town folks go crazy and hunt down the campers.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I beat it when it first came out good playback ability
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What's crazy is I have 3tb in my SeriesX , and its almost full. Of course with some of these games being over 150gb each, it don't take long.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I wish gamepass sold 12 month cards (with a discount), instead of 3 month only.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, can i hug you again? I need comfort again
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gay
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    *hugs @SylverReZ again* thx
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, i aint non binary and she is nb so thats not gay
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, i aint non binary and she is nb so thats not gay