TEMPORARY MODE ENABLED  

1. 3,268

Front-page
    tehQNjh (1).png

Starting today, Square Enix is letting curious players try out the new Marvel's Avengers game before it launches imminently. An open beta is live until August 23rd, and is available on PlayStation 4, PC, and Xbox One, with a free bonus if you do try it out. Those on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One can unlock a Hulk pickaxe for Fortnite, if they link their Epic Games account during the beta. As far as content goes, the beta has four solo missions to try, along with three wave-based HARM Room combat challenges, four War Zone side missions, and five Drop Zones, where you can team up with AI-controlled party members. The full game will be launching early next month, on September 4th.

:arrow: Source

Mama Looigi likes this.
  2. Discussion (16 replies)

3. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Crazy Cool Cyclops
    Banned

United States
    Oof...September 2020? That's faster than I was expecting, tbh. Not like I have any hype for this considering how bland the initial reveal trailer looked.

I guess some of the later trailers looked better, or so I was told? It still looks like some Brazilian/Italian ripoff of The Avengers that the Cinema Snob would review!

StrayGuitarist and Xzi like this.
  4. Xzi

Xzi Benebatch Cumberdict

United States
    Just when I thought I couldn't possibly be any less interested in this game, they add Fortnite cross-promotion into the mix...

5. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Crazy Cool Cyclops
    Banned

United States
    That's been in the news for at least a week...

BTW, you're an expert in this game with this banger?

The_Provider and Xzi like this.
  6. Xzi

Xzi Benebatch Cumberdict

United States
    It's a crime that this game isn't more well-known. Same with Claymates. But I guess that's bound to happen with a system like SNES where nearly every release was an absolute gem.

Silent_Gunner likes this.
  7. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Any Virgin Media customers in UK can get a free beta code if you're interested in trying the game this weekend.

8. yusuo

yusuo GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Isn't it an open beta, meaning you don't need a code

StrayGuitarist likes this.
  9. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

United States
    I played the open beta on PS4 last weekend and had a lot of fun. Has anyone else commenting actually played it. The campaign to me felt like a cross between Marvels' Spider-Man, Uncharted, God of War, and Ultimate Alliance.

GoldenBullet likes this.
  10. Rail Fighter

Rail Fighter GBAtemp Fan

Angola
    Yeah, who needs a girlfriend, go play the beta tonight.

11. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

You're right, I missed the open bit because it was closed the last couple times.

yusuo likes this.
  12. GoldenBullet

GoldenBullet That One Guy

United States
    The game is actually pretty fun. My little brother (13) LOVES it. I think if you set your expectations for the game to be less like the Arkham games or spiderman and more to an rpg and mmo, you will enjoy it a lot more. It definitely is not satisfying at the beginning to be hitting people as the hulk and they are taking it like a champ but you get used to it and the game gets more enjoyable from there. Fans of Ultimate Alliance will like this game, if current gen could have handled split screen this game would be perfect.

Plus the graphics are phenomenal. Sure the character designs could use some work but the overall style looks like a prerendered cutscene from older games. Definitely makes me excited for next gen graphics.

Last edited by GoldenBullet, Aug 21, 2020
    banjo2 likes this.
  13. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

I played a few hours last night and it was okay. I feel like I got my fill and uninstalled it though, so I doubt I will be buying it. Some of the beginning parts were awful, but it got better after that. I personally think they should've made an original title instead of using the Avengers as a lot of people will automatically hate it and not give it a chance.

14. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight
    Former Staff

France
    There were already an open beta last week.
    I played the first few missions, which I found a little confusing.

The game starts directly by letting you play all characters in an all war environment, it was hard to understand what to do even if they tell you which buttons to press, you just do that and are not free.
    I prefer games with slow pace begining where you can master the moves.

far later in the game (after 3rd mission), you have access to a tutorial with Iron man.

For the 3rd mission, the game let you choose whether you want to allow other random players from the world to come in your party or not.
    I chose not to, because I didn't know the map, nor the mission or what I had to do. I like exploring maps first at my pace, and not having a bunch of stranger going straight for the goal, and moaning because you are slow and not playing like they expect you to.

Finally, after the 3rd mission (which was actually the first real MMO mission of the game), you are supposed to have access to multiple new missions, but the mission providers didn't list any !
    Maybe this week they will be active :)

The game displays a now usual "season limited" type of unlockable items, based on daily and weekly challenges (like shoot snipers 50 times) to win points and unlock costume, in-game shop credits or "cards" (yet to find their purpose) for free.

I understand the game is still in beta, and a LOT of audio dialogues were not recorded yet and still falling back to english dub even though I played in French. it's flawlessly switching from english/french if needed.

One thing I also dislike, but it's not specific to this game and unfortunately too much spread : The font on screen are too small !
    We have 4k display, but the developers think they can use that advantage to fit even more text everywhere !
    It's too small, and I have to move near the TV to actually read what's written !
    Too much information and text everywhere at the same time... while other useful information hidden and you have to press a button to display it every time..... boring and annoying. Having an option to always display or always hide it by default would be gladly welcome! or at least a memorizing switch, not a "only when pressed" event (if any from Squenix reading this)

I discovered a new member of the Avengers in that game !
    Gomu Gomu no .... Kamala Khan
    Well, I thought I played a One piece game for a moment... all the same moves

Last edited by Cyan, Aug 22, 2020
  15. THEELEMENTKH

THEELEMENTKH GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Spain
    I already tried and beat 3 times the open beta on PS4, and it's not a bad game per se, but it's a bit slow paced with so many unskippable cutscenes and if it's your first time playing it you're most likely getting lost 'cause there's no map to guide yourself by

16. saishowaguu2

saishowaguu2 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I played the game on PC today.
    Lots of weird issues (one random crash, characters being invisible during cut-scenes, etc.).
    The in-game menu was also quite a bit unorganized and seemed somewhat unresponsive at times.

I might pick it up again once all the bugs are ironed out (and if someone creates a texture patch to make them look more like their MCU counterparts).

17. malevka1

malevka1 Newbie
    Newcomer

Ukraine
    I like it too Marvel

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Avengers, Marvels, weekend