ROM Hack Mario & Luigi SuperStar Saga Difficulty Hacks

AzureYoshi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I actually started a new playthrough of hardcore. While the new enemy changes and changes to the mobs are nice, I feel like I probaly could have knocked off about 2 HP off of every enemy. Although the higher HP DOES give more value to bros. moves and gives players more incentive to use them, thus making it easier to get advanced techs, some of which are downright necessary for some of the later bosses like Trunkle, whose defense is so high in HC that you need multi-hit attacks like Chopper Bros. and Advanced Knockback Bros.

The stat spread for the bros. is nice, too. And since enemies give less EXP that means there's more challenge for the player if they choose to seek it out.

All that said, while I would love to re-do hardcore, I think it'd be best to leave it as is. I do, however, want to work on critical some more since I feel like I could have polished that mode a bit better. Like having more blends drop from enemies and bosses in order to compensate for the reduced stat gain of the bros when leveling up. Also reducing enemy stats to, again, compensate. The critical I have now has the enemies at Classic Stats, with the bean drops of hardcore. Hardcore Critical... now there's a monster I want to see someone complete.

D MAS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey there. I've tried out Hardcore (non-Critical) and I've got a few things to say. So far I like the changes but there's a few things that bother me...

The enemy damage is a little too high. Seriously, EIGHT damage from a Fighter Fly? And then the bean enemy's Fake Out, as you described, does 21, with DEF levelled at least once on both chars. I understand this is meant to give me incentive to grind, but I think 4 to 6 would've been just fine for damage, starting out. But the way you see it, you didn't want to go easy even starting out (even though Bowser and Fawful are still pathetically easy, even with their HP increased)

When fighting Tolstar, the Bullet Bill is horizontally below Luigi, meaning while Mario has to dodge his, Luigi does not. (Also I don't know how much damage Tolstar hits for, because I actually Perfect'd him. DO NOT ASK how that happened because, honestly, I never have before because I suck.)

Is the name Critical derived from the Kingdom Hearts games? (Yes I am a fanboy of the series, shut up) In 2 you could equip an Ability called Zero EXP/EXP Zero which would prevent you from levelling up, but you still gained HP/MP after certain bosses (with Critical mode reducing the rate). As such I can't help but notice the similarity.

Also your YT link doesn't work anymore. Sorry to be two years late but I am legit interested in this hack.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: https://youtu.be/heNQ-22Mqnk?si=B4bTa9MKZkRNCkxU