Discussion Mario Kart Wii 60fps on Switch

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by Der_Blockbuster, May 9, 2019.

1. Der_Blockbuster
    OP

Der_Blockbuster GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 2, 2016
    Germany
    Well, I heard many people calling Gamecube Emulation will never happen.

Here we are Ubuntu running on the Switch Overclocked @2ghz

I don't know if there is already a thread about this.

I think the future will show, how well other tiltes may run and maybe theres light at the end of the tunnel, and we all can stop waiting for a ww hd remake for switch.

2. limpbiz411

limpbiz411 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 12, 2007
    United States
    that's cool and all, but lets get a native emulator.

3. The0919

The0919 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2017
    United States
    Behind you
    As soon as L4T on switch gets sleep mode, I'm gonna start just keeping linux booted on my switch at all times unless I want to play an actual switch game

4. leafeon34

leafeon34 You suck.

Sep 30, 2014
    Greece
    Elysium
    I'm pretty much over GameCube and Wii games but this is great news for those who want to play Super Smash Bros. Melee, Project M, F-Zero GX and so on, on the Switch.
    That would be more convenient but unless there's already one secretly in development it will take at least a few years for a good one to come out.

Last edited by leafeon34, May 9, 2019
  5. limpbiz411

limpbiz411 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 12, 2007
    United States
    i'm sure we will see something one day or another.

The_Provider likes this.
  6. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Wonder why Mario Kart wii hasn't appear on nvidia shield tv yet? Of all wii games, that hasn't been taken priority over
    • Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess
    • Super Mario Galaxy
    • New Super Mario bros WII
    • Punch out!!
    :blink:

KiiWii and TheZander like this.
  7. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    Pretty neat.
    Although I'd love for a proper Dolphin core on RetroArch Switch running through Horizon OS.
    Until we get Vulkan on libnx, that's just a dream :P

8. TheZander

TheZander King of the Level 7's

Feb 1, 2008
    United States
    Level 7
    Who said game cube emulation would never happen? Isn't that what failoverflow demonstrated?

Last edited by TheZander, May 10, 2019
  9. tabnk

tabnk GBAtemp Regular

Jan 20, 2016
    United States
    only at native resolution

10. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner GBAtemp Fan

Feb 16, 2017
    United States
    I would say that the potential for every game to work on the Switch, both docked and on the go, is the big question to determine whether it's worth the practical trouble to get GC games going on the Switch.

If it can run the entire Metroid Prime Trilogy, or Wind Waker at full speed without stuttering, or Twilight Princess with the Field hack, then we might have something that I'd say is practical...at native resolutions.

I hope you aren't seriously expecting the Switch to be capable of running Xenoblade with the HD Texture pack on the Switch... XD

11. DeslotlCL

DeslotlCL GBAtemp's scalie trash

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    But it's running on a overclocked cpu. What's the point if you cant get decent speeds on stock clockspeeds? One of the factors of why it seems nintendo wont ever bother making an official emulator, unless the so called switch pro gets released, if real.

12. Pipistrele

Pipistrele Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 21, 2019
    Russia
    Cool and all, but again, no sleep mode + no "reboot to payload" = not very useful :(

13. onofrix

onofrix Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 29, 2015
    this video has a little trick. Is playing in time trial mode. With your car only. If you play in normal mode against the other 11 characters framerate downs to 44 fps.

14. GBADWB

GBADWB Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 12, 2016
    United States

It's more or less why I still stand by my older statement saying that many of the wii games are in the will run but not fully playable yet. Many of the videos that get posted of something running usually is best case scenario(e.g with sunshine, beginning of game, where there's almost nothing on that landing port) and in this case, 1 kart. I've messed with the Nvidia Shield TV enough to get a decent understanding of what will and wont run, and the only thing I haven't thoroughly tested would be overclocking, but that usually only helps games that are almost at full speed. (people need to keep in mind, that the Shield TV has a fairly high base clock relative to the switch in the first place (runs at 1.9ghz if its not throttling, so a 2ghz would only be a 5% overclock)

IMO the only way its going to get better performance is things like optimized idle skipping introduced in build 10039, or hacky builds focused on a single device like Dolphin MMJ(Weihuoya) port for android where certain optimizations and codes are introduced along with other hacks(e.g twilight princess fog hack) by default.

Last edited by GBADWB, May 10, 2019
    onofrix likes this.
  15. Milenko

Milenko GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 16, 2017
    Australia
    They said it'll never happen on the switch and they're probably right... It isnt the switch it's linux

16. Der_Blockbuster
    OP

Der_Blockbuster GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 2, 2016
    Germany
    Well I don't mind a dual boot on my Switch

17. onofrix

onofrix Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 29, 2015
    I made this video. You can see in how it works at 60 fps in time trial mode, but when you play against 11 rivals, it drops to 45-55.

Csmrcc, oji and Fadi5555 like this.
  18. megahog2012

megahog2012 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 10, 2012
    United States
    Hey so what about the ishiruka build of dolphin how well does that run

19. kevin corms

kevin corms GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 21, 2015
    Canada
    is there a version of popos that works on switch?

20. onofrix

onofrix Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 29, 2015
    Now that regular dolphin has vulkan drivers I didnt see any performance differences between ishiiruka. Also regular dolphin is more updated, and has better menus and more stability.