Gaming Mario Kart Online - Very dissapointing

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Mario Kart Wii online is mostly lag free for me. Much better than it is in Brawl or MKDS. And I reside in Antarctica so the pings to Europe are insane!

berlinka

You have sustained a lethal injury.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.berlinka.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Tanas said:
I totally agree, this is a game of no skill whatsoever, Nintendo have failed yet agian with another dissapointing sequal, they should have gave up after Mario Kart 64.
I hated snaking in Mario Kart DS, but saying that it was the only skill in the game.

I have to agree with this, as Mario Kart DS really made me a better Mario Kart player. Somehow to me Mario Kart has always been about racing and not about bashing.

I'm really surprised so many of you find the online fine as it is. I don't understand. With Super Smash Brothes Brawl, no matter how much is going on, if your fighting antics suck then you can forget it in the end, you can't win with weapons alone. But in Mario Kart Wii you can win without knowing any racing skills.

It's just a natural feeling that made me wanted to dedicate a topic to this. I mean this afternoon I was playing and I was in round 3/3 and last in position, Nr 12, so I thought I was going to lose big time. Suddenly as the finish line was in sight, I got a Megabullet and BLAAAM 3 seconds later i ended up 2nd, not knowing what had happened!

I clearly was expecting a different experience with this one. But I'll learn to live with it.

And like Itago says, who cares about winning a game?........?...........

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Eh, what do you expect. Nintendo is wrapped up in this whole Touch Generations! family friendly bullshit which is making them more money than their core fan-base was.

Reggie said it himself at E3, that in this Mario Kart "newcomers that have never played before can stay bumper-to-bumper with a kart veteran".

Gokou282

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
As above...

Nintendo is appealing to the wider audience, the casual gamer, the ones who can just pick up the game and play. It's where the money is!

sidneyyoung

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Bring back snaking!!

smile.gif

Carnivean

STARMAN
Trophies
XP
Country
Nintendo hates online, haven't you all guessed it with their lack of any communication methods? Their shitty friend code system? The fact you can play with only your friends or only total strangers with no mid ground? Nintendo wi-fi is always going to suck as nintendo are stuck in the mindset that it should be a safe environment with minimal interaction aside from playing.

Of course regardless, I've found online fun. I find it funny you expect to win based on skill - mario kart has always been heavily unbalanced towards good players and always will be.

scousethief

Trophies
XP
Country
The games great ! we havent had a chance to go online with it yet but playing against each other is a good laugh , thats what the wii is for us , a fun machine, if i want to play anything solo eg assassins creed or those type of games i use the pc or 360, Mario kart is just plain fun, no complex stuff just plain old get in there and have some fun. This should have been available at launch.

Did i mention it was fun lol

shineget

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i've been playing mario kart since the snes days and love this game online. being able to use items effectively and avoid being hit by items is all part of mario kart, and to do it well can take some skill. Sure you can go from 1st to last within an instant but that's what multiplayer mario kart has always been about. your position is rarely safe, unless you are first by a great deal. and it's that what makes it so exciting.

King Zargo

I'm a Star
Trophies
XP
Country
Nepal
I have been playing this game almost all day now and I can safely say that this is the best Mario Kart out there.

There is skill involved in this game sure there is the bullet or the blue shell. The Bullet is only useful for the player who are lagging behind, if you get hit by it try pressing the Z button once and if a blue is shell behind try to take the second place with you.

I have won lots of matches online and lots of them had nothing to do with luck. Its about making the better corner, knowing how to use and dodge items, learning the stage/short cuts and knowing how to use the turbo start. Of course this way you wont win em all but most of your matches.

I recommend players to watch the world record of every stage. You will become better by just doing this.

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
yeah, i agree. there is still a lot of skill involved. I practiced the courses first in time trial to learn all the boosts, shortcuts and jumps. then online I won easily in most courses.

mikagami

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure they made it a lot more novice friendly, but that doesn't mean it requires no skill. Knowing how/where to use tricks is one of the keys to winning. Another is if you're in first place, hold shells/bananas to throw behind you if you get a warning that a red shell is near. Blue shells can be dodged as well. Oh, and Bullet Bill is not that bad, he's easy to see coming and simple to avoid.

King Zargo

I'm a Star
Trophies
XP
Country
Nepal
berlinka said:
Also when there's more then 5 people competing, it turns out to be chaos. I really cannot put any effort in it anymore when I get 2 red shells AND a MEGABULLET shoved up my ass within 5 seconds.

Getting two red shells and a megabullit is your own damn fault. Use your items to defend yourself better and Bullet Bill can be dodged.

bosscolor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
I played for the first time today

It was a fucking 1v1 and that was really shitty...

My oppenent stayed always at the last place waiting with a bill bullet for 2 laps en then used it to win the race.

That was not funny at all

Hardcore Gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
KTroopA said:
shinsil said:

I recommend players to watch the world record of every stage. You will become better by just doing this.

how do you watch these?

Go to MK channel. Rankings. Pick a track. Click the leader. Watch ghost data.

There are some pretty good times but I imagine they'll be better from Friday.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: I just Luv having CEX :)