Homebrew Mario Kart 8 Ultimate, download the alpha now! 104 additional courses to the base game!

YobsVHS

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello !
I'm really delighted to have found this incredible mod; however, I haven't been able to use it to its full potential yet, especially with the new circuits, as I am using Aroma. Do you think it would be possible someday to inject the code directly into the game via FileZilla or to have a modified WUP?
Post automatically merged:

Hello! I'm really delighted to have found this incredible mod; however, I haven't been able to use it to its full potential yet, especially with the new circuits, as I am using Aroma. Do you think it would be possible someday to inject the code directly into the game via FileZilla or to have a modified WUP?

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello !
I'm really delighted to have found this incredible mod; however, I haven't been able to use it to its full potential yet, especially with the new circuits, as I am using Aroma. Do you think it would be possible someday to inject the code directly into the game via FileZilla or to have a modified WUP?

Hello! I'm really delighted to have found this incredible mod; however, I haven't been able to use it to its full potential yet, especially with the new circuits, as I am using Aroma. Do you think it would be possible someday to inject the code directly into the game via FileZilla or to have a modified WUP?

No, injecting like that will never be possible. As things stand, you can not play this fully in Aroma. Tiramisu will work (as well CBHC for anyone that never upgraded for whatever reason).

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No, injecting like that will never be possible. As things stand, you can not play this fully in Aroma. Tiramisu will work (as well CBHC for anyone that never upgraded for whatever reason).
Can you elaborate on why that is? Just curios.

A mod only changes (or adds) game files so overwriting the installed ones with the mod files should work. Why would it not?

Also for someone who's not yet that much into Tiramisu vs. Aroma, what's the reason for it to not work in Aroma? Is it due to that Aroma expects differently compiled homebrews and the one that you have to use for this mod (SDCafiine?) isn't "ported" yet? Sorry if I may sound noobish. As I said, I'm still not into that but decided to tackle my Wii U within the next few weeks to set it up according to the current "state of art" which (as I understood) is Aroma. Seems though that I should rather consider a dual boot solution with Tiramisu and Aroma since a few other things like RetroArch (very important to me) don't work with Aroma yet too.

And allow me one last question: Which is the exact update for MK8 that we need? I only noticed it in passing, but I guess an update came out that this mod doesn't work with?

Reactions: Blythe93

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you elaborate on why that is? Just curios.

A mod only changes (or adds) game files so overwriting the installed ones with the mod files should work. Why would it not?

Also for someone who's not yet that much into Tiramisu vs. Aroma, what's the reason for it to not work in Aroma? Is it due to that Aroma expects differently compiled homebrews and the one that you have to use for this mod (SDCafiine?) isn't "ported" yet? Sorry if I may sound noobish. As I said, I'm still not into that but decided to tackle my Wii U within the next few weeks to set it up according to the current "state of art" which (as I understood) is Aroma. Seems though that I should rather consider a dual boot solution with Tiramisu and Aroma since a few other things like RetroArch (very important to me) don't work with Aroma yet too.

And allow me one last question: Which is the exact update for MK8 that we need? I only noticed it in passing, but I guess an update came out that this mod doesn't work with?
Honestly I've explained all of this multiple times throughout the thread, I'm getting a little tired of elaborating again and again.

But here it is one more time:

These mods need to be loaded through the Wii U plugin system (WUPS), not SDcafiine. WUPS is an .elf homebrew. Aroma can't read .elf homebrew. In theory it can be converted to be Aroma compatible, and a few people have claimed they'd take a stab at such, but thus far, nothing has materialized from this as I'm aware. Which is why it has to at this time be loaded through Tiramisu or earlier cfws.

Trying to straight up inject data in the game will work fine for surface level SDcafiine kinds of mods. But this mod expands upon the code of MK8, so injecting like that is never gonna work unless maybe we get the MK8 source code via a decomp or something like that.

This was designed for MK8 before the latest update that fixes online, so don't make that update, or if you did, find a way to downgrade to the previous version. I'm sure the original creator of the adapted plugin here could update the code to make it work with the latest version (I personally wouldn't know exactly what to do in this regard), but he kinda disappeared and I don't really wanna go track him down and bother him over this, especially since this isn't even really meant for online and Wii U online will officially be ending in a few months anyway.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Honestly I've explained all of this multiple times throughout the thread, I'm getting a little tired of elaborating again and again.
Sorry for that! :(
But here it is one more time:
And thanks for that. :)

Really appreciate it!

Since you're OP, you should consider copy pasting this into a FAQ section in your first post. If more ppl ask the same question you can just tell to read it. :)

Locktech

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Helllllpppp updated to 4.2 now I get exception 2. Have looked everywhere to fix can't find anything to hex edit version.bin or a workaround

YobsVHS

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Helllllpppp updated to 4.2 now I get exception 2. Have looked everywhere to fix can't find anything to hex edit version.bin or a workaround

Similarly, it's impossible to downgrade... I don't quite understand the hex editor. If someone has the modified file and can transfer it to us, it would be greatly appreciated.
(I have a EUR version of the game)
Thanks.

Last edited by YobsVHS,

Gustav123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I had the same problem. The save way to do it is to modify the installed update file on your wii u with an ftp server. I would not recommend to modify the version.bin file because its unkwon what would happen if you made a mistake. A wii u game or update is split into 3 folders: code, conten, meta. The information about the update /game version is saved in the code folder.

I fixed it by replacing the code folder of the 4.1 version with the code folder of the 4.2 version using file zila.

First you need to install the 4.2 update wich you already did. Next copy the code folder to your pc. Then install the 4.1 version. After that simply replace the code folder of the update with the copy thats on your pc.

I dont know if this works for other games. I only tried it on Mario Kart 8.

The update location is for the external storage:
/storage_usb/usr/title/0005000c/1010ed00/code
keep in mind that I have the europen version of the game. so the id of the update is the europen one

L0w

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

@ MikaDubbz

Thank you for your fantastic work on this mod. Really amazing what you did here! I just have one question before installing the Alpha: Is the music added to most of the tracks or do you still need to add that in a Beta (or any newer version)?
The files are from 2022, so that's what made me wondering.
I know that you couldn't get the music done for about 7 tracks, but what about the others, has this been updated yet? As the information in the first post tells me it is not, but it might be outdated..

Last edited by L0w,

Locktech

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Similarly, it's impossible to downgrade... I don't quite understand the hex editor. If someone has the modified file and can transfer it to us, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm also looking for the original file race.csz located in the storage/title of the Wii U. If you have it, I'm interested... I mistakenly modified mine while trying to install the mod... :(
(I have a EUR version of the game)
Thanks.
How are you seeing files on your wii u physical hardware. Can I just plug it in to my computer. No that would work, is it from your nand dump??

I had the same problem. The save way to do it is to modify the installed update file on your wii u with an ftp server. I would not recommend to modify the version.bin file because its unkwon what would happen if you made a mistake. A wii u game or update is split into 3 folders: code, conten, meta. The information about the update /game version is saved in the code folder.

I fixed it by replacing the code folder of the 4.1 version with the code folder of the 4.2 version using file zila.

First you need to install the 4.2 update wich you already did. Next copy the code folder to your pc. Then install the 4.1 version. After that simply replace the code folder of the update with the copy thats on your pc.

I dont know if this works for other games. I only tried it on Mario Kart 8.

The update location is for the external storage:
/storage_usb/usr/title/0005000c/1010ed00/code
keep in mind that I have the europen version of the game. so the id of the update is the europen one
Can you explain this step by step I'm new to this but am pretty savy. How do I even access the physical wii u internal storage and then get a 4.1 copy of the game I guess just download it. Anything you can share will help alot of people if you could plz

Gustav123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
How are you seeing files on your wii u physical hardware. Can I just plug it in to my computer. No that would work, is it from your nand dump??

Can you explain this step by step I'm new to this but am pretty savy. How do I even access the physical wii u internal storage and then get a 4.1 copy of the game I guess just download it. Anything you can share will help alot of people if you could plz
You have to install ftp_everywhere from the homebrew store and launch. It will schow a row of numbers like this XXX.XXX.XXX.XX:XX the last two numbers are the port. Then install an ftp client like file zila on your pc. Open it type in the IP Adress and the port, which the wii u displays. You can leave everything else empty. It should look like this
Screenshot 2024-02-10 085406.png

the left side is the internal storage of your pc the right side is the storage of the wiiu.
I have my copy of Mario Kart 8 with the update files on an external USB Storage saved. I dont where ist would be if you have it in the internal storage of your wii u.

go to /storage_usb/usr/title/0005000e/1010ed00/code
keep in mind that my wii u is a europen one so the name of the game can be different if you have a wii u from another region. If your not sure what id Mario Kart 8 has for you if your fom another region. Look into the content folder if it looks like this then you have found the right update file

Screenshot 2024-02-10 090603.png

then go back where you see the folder: code, meta and content. Now copy the code folder to your pc at a place where you find it again. Now you have to get the update 4.1 file from the internet or from your nand backup. It has to be encryptet and schould be consisting of a bunch of files that your computer cant read. Now delete the update from your wii u in the data menegmant in the settings. Now put the update in the install folder of your sd card. Then open wup installer gx select it and install it. make sure that the update is for the same region as the base game of Mario Kart 8 you have and pause software updates in the download manager. After it had installed go back to your pc and go to same location from where you copied the code folder to your pc. It should look like this:

Screenshot 2024-02-10 091955.png

now track the code folder into the bottom left window under meta. It will give you a message that says something like this: Do you want ro replace some files in the destination. press yes when its done close the programm. reboot your wii u and try to start Mario Kart 8. If you have done everything correct it should boot Mario Kart 8 without asking you for an update even when you are conectet to the internet. The last check is the version number on your title screen if it says 4.1 then your good to go

Last edited by Gustav123,

L0w

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
But the Wii U will automatically update the game again, right (when you're on an order version of the game)?

L0w

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You have to install ftp_everywhere from the homebrew store and launch. It will schow a row of numbers like this XXX.XXX.XXX.XX:XX the last two numbers are the port. Then install an ftp client like file zila on your pc. Open it type in the IP Adress and the port, which the wii u displays. You can leave everything else empty. It should look like this
View attachment 419160
the left side is the internal storage of your pc the right side is the storage of the wiiu.
I have my copy of Mario Kart 8 with the update files on an external USB Storage saved. I dont where ist would be if you have it in the internal storage of your wii u.

go to /storage_usb/usr/title/0005000e/1010ed00/code
keep in mind that my wii u is a europen one so the name of the game can be different if you have a wii u from another region. If your not sure what id Mario Kart 8 has for you if your fom another region. Look into the content folder if it looks like this then you have found the right update file

View attachment 419162
then go back where you see the folder: code, meta and content. Now copy the code folder to your pc at a place where you find it again. Now you have to get the update 4.1 file from the internet or from your nand backup. It has to be encryptet and schould be consisting of a bunch of files that your computer cant read. Now delete the update from your wii u in the data menegmant in the settings. Now put the update in the install folder of your sd card. Then open wup installer gx select it and install it. make sure that the update is for the same region as the base game of Mario Kart 8 you have and pause software updates in the download manager. After it had installed go back to your pc and go to same location from where you copied the code folder to your pc. It should look like this:

View attachment 419163
now track the code folder into the bottom left window under meta. It will give you a message that says something like this: Do you want ro replace some files in the destination. press yes when its done close the programm. reboot your wii u and try to start Mario Kart 8. If you have done everything correct it should boot Mario Kart 8 without asking you for an update even when you are conectet to the internet. The last check is the version number on your title screen if it says 4.1 then your good to go
Thank you for the great explanation, this should work!
The only thing I don't quite understand is the last part: Why are you replacing the meta folder? Are you putting the files from the meta folder of version 4.2 in the folder of the version 4.1, so that the Wii U thinks you're on the newest version?

Gustav123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Thank you for the great explanation, this should work!
The only thing I don't quite understand is the last part: Why are you replacing the meta folder? Are you putting the files from the meta folder of version 4.2 in the folder of the version 4.1, so that the Wii U thinks you're on the newest version?
Like I said. The code folder contains the information about the update/Version. But there also other files in it. The reason why it works for Mario Kart 8 is, that the other files in the code folder weren´t changed. This means that in both updates are only the liecens files and the files, which tells the wii u whatt version the update has. This makes the wii u believe that you have the 4.2 version installed. A nice side effect is that, even with an internet connection and activ downloads the wii u won´t update the game.

I didn´t mean that you put the code folder in the meta folder. You schould track the copy of the code folder in the white area under the meta folder.

Screenshot 2024-02-12 173048.png

I said this because you copy the entire folder and if you put the entire folder in the code filder it won´t work.

L0w

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Like I said. The code folder contains the information about the update/Version. But there also other files in it. The reason why it works for Mario Kart 8 is, that the other files in the code folder weren´t changed. This means that in both updates are only the liecens files and the files, which tells the wii u whatt version the update has. This makes the wii u believe that you have the 4.2 version installed. A nice side effect is that, even with an internet connection and activ downloads the wii u won´t update the game.

I didn´t mean that you put the code folder in the meta folder. You schould track the copy of the code folder in the white area under the meta folder.

View attachment 419615
I said this because you copy the entire folder and if you put the entire folder in the code filder it won´t work.

Aah, so I need to copy only the folder named "code" (including all files in it) of version 4.2 over the folder of version 4.1 (when I am done installing), and overwrite all the files, correct?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Z like Sunday morning