Mario Kart 64 HD, fan project texture pack, releases final trailer

Mario Kart 64 is still one of the most beloved entries in the Mario Kart franchise, with it being the first 3D entry in the series, and bringing a whole new slew of memorable courses and music to enjoy a good race with friends, or duke it out in Battle Mode.

While certainly Mario Kart 64 hasn't been the most hacked or modded entry in the series (with that honour being taken by Mario Kart Wii by a long shot), MK64 has still seen its fair share of modifications throughout the years, with some notorious ones being a 60fps hack by the boy181, a widescreen hack courtesy of gamemasterplc, and the recent Mario Kart 64 Amped Up, which features brand new tracks, and tracks from other franchises.

Alongside those great hacks and modifications, AndratVA has been working on an HD texture pack for Mario Kart 64 for almost 2 years, and the amount of work and dedication put into the project has been nothing short of outstanding. For those unaware, Mario Kart 64 uses prerendered sprites for the characters, and with that, Andrat and his team went to the extend of fully recreating the 3D models for each Mario Kart 64 character to make the new HD textures/graphics for all of them and their karts:

mariokarting.gif

Mario Kart 64 certainly takes on a whole new light and polish with this great project, and if you're interested in experiencing it yourself, you can easily grab the assets and play it through any N64 emulator and even Dolphin.

:arrow: GitHub Page

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Wait until the original game gets fully reverse engineered then we will get a version with all the upgrades that doesn't need an emulator.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'll try it and probably like it, but DKR is the better game of this type on 64 and would've been the better project.
Totally agreed.

Diddy Kong Racing had HD texture packs since a long time ago, and that game already uses full 3D models for the characters compared to Mario Kart 64.
There's not much that can be done to DKR to improve its graphics with mere texture packs in that regard compared to this.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Diddy Kong Racing had HD texture packs since a long time ago, and that game already uses full 3D models for the characters compared to Mario Kart 64.
There's not much that can be done to DKR to improve its graphics with mere texture packs in that regard compared to this.

Didn't know this, thx. I mostly never use emulators anymore so I'm behind on the info. Went 99% team real hardware (and flashcarts) years ago.

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Hate to repeat myself but does this work with an ED64? Or is it just like that Odyssey 64 only running on emulator?

x65943

hunger games round 29 big booba winner
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hate to repeat myself but does this work with an ED64? Or is it just like that Odyssey 64 only running on emulator?
You won't be able to use humongous textures like that on real hardware - not sure you would be able to tell a big difference anyway since the resolution of real hardware is so tiny

Reactions: Urbanshadow

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
You won't be able to use humongous textures like that on real hardware - not sure you would be able to tell a big difference anyway since the resolution of real hardware is so tiny
I was hoping the bunch of hundreds of bucks on progressive upscalers, 0 delay HDMI buses and displays would handle part of that. I am guessing by your comment and other comments it wont run. Pity.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I was hoping the bunch of hundreds of bucks on progressive upscalers, 0 delay HDMI buses and displays would handle part of that. I am guessing by your comment and other comments it wont run. Pity.
I hate "emulator-only" rom hacks. Or games like Bloodborne PSX that don't actually run on the system, just modelled "in the style of". 🙄

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over