Gaming Mario 64 successor may be next Wii U Mario

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would like to see a direct sequel to Super Mario World, with the same SNES style graphics and all.... Release it as a VC game and yeah....

I know Yoshi's Island was SMW2 but to me that always felt like a completely different game, not bad but different enough that I just didn't feel the connection.

VampireLordAlucard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mariofanatic64 - I don't think you meant to be misleading, but the title does make it sound like there was a little more substantial of a quote. I like that you are generating good discussion though.

I used to love Mario 64, played it a lot as a kid. I bought Mario 64 DS when it came out. After playing 3D Land though, it totally changed how I look at 64. 64 feels so much clunkier now. Having the roam that giant castle to play the levels, repeating the same stages so many times for different stars, and pages of text to read from NPCs and signs all feel unnecessary.

The streamlined design 3D Land brought was really refreshing. Quick level access, little forced level revisiting, no NPC text (the Toads don't say anything to you, even in the Toad houses!). No signs either - get a new item, and the level design teaches you how to use it. From a gameplay perspective, I feels like a pure, streamlined Mario experience stripped of any baggage. I loved it. I have only played the first world of 3D World, but it seems like a wonderful console successor with the same tight design principles.

I can see how you'd prefer the grander, larger scale, full of exploration sandbox Mario games. I like the concept you posted on the other page, and agree that the Mushroom Kingdom has much potential for some fleshing out. But I think the sandbox design was an experiment of the new 3D era, and years of tightening the design has lead to a leaner Mario game. Have you played Paper Mario for N64 and Gamecube? I think you'd enjoy it for the more developed Mushroom Kingdom.

Psionic Roshambo - I think the "SMBW2" title was added outside of Japan. Originally it was just Yoshi's Island. Probably why it feels so unrelated!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: hiiii sisters