Mario 64 successor may be next Wii U Mario

Discussion in 'Wii U - Games & Content' started by MarioFanatic64, Nov 4, 2013.

1. MarioFanatic64
    OP

MarioFanatic64 The guy who does things

Sep 13, 2009
    Australia
    Super Mario 64 is, without question my favourite game. Having it been my first experience with 3D environments and the amount of time spent growing up as I collected all those stars, I for one have been disappointed by the lack of effort to produce a true successor, and the recent new direction of the Mario series to have completely turned it's back on Mario 64 completely.

tl:dr Lost hopes and dreams

It's safe to say that the announcement of Super Mario 3D World had quite a mixed reaction. Those content with the linear style overjoyed, whereas those hoping on the next-gen Mario on the Power Star, packed big adventure were disappointed say the least. But recent quotes from Nintendo developers suggests that those disappointed may only have to wait until the next instalment.

If you ask me, if it meant getting a sequel to Mario 64, i'd be on the next flight to Kyoto to ask for it personally.

Discussion time!

2. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    this proves nothing :glare:

cearp likes this.
  3. MarioFanatic64
    OP

Sep 13, 2009
    Australia
    I never said it did, but for the first time in years there may actually be hope for once.

4. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    Mario Galaxy was a better game. Mario 64, you get one star, go back into the level, and you're just retreading old ground. Mario Galaxy, the level changes.

Arras likes this.
  5. BlackWizzard17

BlackWizzard17 Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.

Dec 1, 2012
    United States
    E-Arth
    I pick Mario 64 over Mario galaxy, I didn't like to whole going around planet type concept. There wasn't much freedom to one level because you kept jumping from one place to another.
    Mario 64>Mario galaxy
    Mario Sunshine>Mario galaxy
    Mario 64=Mario sunshine

EvilMakiPR and Damian666 like this.
  6. OriginalHamster

OriginalHamster UStealthy

Nov 2, 2008
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Mario Sunshine was supossed to be Mario 64 succesor, but it fell short, the concept was there but it lacked the polish of Mario 64. Super Mario Galaxy is a master piece in its own, it was more linear arcadeish more similar to classic 2D Marios which allowed alot of platforming experiments. Super Mario 3D World feels even more close to classic 2D Marios, than Mario 64, so they are not directly comparable.

7. Luigi2012SM64DS

Luigi2012SM64DS G-old member

Banned
    Aug 27, 2011
    Canada
    Minecrapt
    Super Mario 64 is the best.
    Super Mario 64 DS was terrible.
    I still play sm64 solo and multi.
    If nintendo made something like it again i would be happy.

8. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I don't see a reason for all this conspiracy theory mumbo-jumbo - just accept the fact that Mario games have aged and they're not like in the Nintendo 64 days anymore.

9. UltraMew

UltraMew GBATemp's Mew PRETENDING TO BE FOXI4 4 A DAY

Banned
    Aug 7, 2013
    United States
    Flying a blue hedgehog around
    Please be a SM64 sequel. :) Ooh! You could remake (demake?) a SM64 remake (Super Mario 63-style) into NSMB!

10. zachtheninja

zachtheninja Honorary Ninja

Aug 28, 2011
    United States
    Texas
    It would be nice to see a SuperMario64 style game in HD... but I doubt that Nintendo will ever create a non-linear Mario game.

11. Dork

Dork Newbie

Why do people keep making these kinds of threads? The most misleading titles and then "hey guyz would it b cool if this happen discuss :^))"

12. MarioFanatic64
    OP

Sep 13, 2009
    Australia
    I don't think the title is misleading at all. Hence the word "may" and not "will".

The whole thread is based on the premise that it's been mentioned that an open-world Mario may be coming, if there is sufficient demand. And this is a discussion board so please, excuse me for trying to spread the word so the developers may actually consider making this game.

13. Hielkenator

Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 7, 2010
    Netherlands
    God, Sunshine and Galaxy were so much better.
    If you really want a a game like sm64 BUT far better,play the banjo kazooie games.
    Besides sm64 is a very short game.

Anyway I personallly am SO GODDAMN TIRED of collecting stars. shinesprites etc.
    Looking forward to supermario 3d world.

14. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Of the many adjectives I could use to describe Mario 64 I do not think polished would be one of them. I am never quite sure what people disliked about Sunshine either (other than FLUDD being up there with Navi and Clippy in the support characters I would be inclined to headbutt).

I am drawn to wonder what continuity there might be between the DS version of 64 and the original.

15. MarioFanatic64
    OP

Sep 13, 2009
    Australia
    Yep I have to admit, SM64 isn't the greatest game ever but it's still my favourite game and I think there's a ton of potential for a new open-world Mario.

Before 3D World was announced, I had envisioned the next 3D Mario to be set in a huge landscape. Not divided into level-by-level factions, but a huge Grand Theft Auto-style Mushroom Kingdom which was packed with things to collect and characters to interact with. (and an actual narrative story to motivate me through the game). As the game progresses, more areas become available like hidden caves, secrets below the ocean, and hidden in the clouds above the kingdom. You could chose to progress through the story, travel across the Kingdom and find huge Castles containing Bosses to defeat or you could just run around aimlessly, travelling the Mushroom Kingdom and finding fun things to do.

But unfortunately, the Mario series took a different direction. Instead it's "look, there's a flagpole over there! Here's a Mushroom. Here's a Fire Flower. Go touch the flagpole. By the way, there are about 20 1-ups you can find in this level, so it's ok if one of the two Goombas in this level touches you. Also there's a time limit, it's not like it's a challenge to get to the flagpole in time but it's just so you can't play around freely".

16. pwsincd

pwsincd Garage Flower

GBAtemp Patron
    pwsincd is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 4, 2011
    Manchester UK
    sandbox mario please

17. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Not once did they even hint at there being a SM64 sequel in development.
    But I would love to see one.

18. MarioFanatic64
    OP

Sep 13, 2009
    Australia
    Well, it has been mentioned that an open-world Mario will only come to light provided there's the demand for it, and that's the key here.

Assuming Iwata was right and there'll only be one 2D "New" Super Mario Bros. title per console, a second 3D game for Wii U is the most likely option for the next game, and we're being given the opportunity in advance to show Nintendo how much we want a new Mario like 64 and Sunshine.

19. pwsincd

pwsincd Garage Flower

GBAtemp Patron
    pwsincd is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 4, 2011
    Manchester UK
    Would lovve to see a Lego City style mario game , if you get what i mean.

Bladexdsl likes this.
  20. AngryGeek416

AngryGeek416 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 17, 2012
    Argentina
    Mario Sunshine was fantastic, not quite SM64 level but still amazing. Galaxy 1&2 were ruined because of the damn nunchuck controls, could never get into that gimmick.