ROM Hack MapleStory DS - English Translation Project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to translate the items/monsters using pictures? If so, then that would be really easy for someone who knows the game very well to do. *cough*

Ebanu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DeMoN said:
Is it possible to translate the items/monsters using pictures? If so, then that would be really easy for someone who knows the game very well to do. *cough*
Pretty sure you'd have to know the korean names and english names of the monsters in order to know which thing in the files to replace. Not just as simple as looking at the pictures.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ebanu said:
sightlight said:
there are a lot of items and monsters...

166 monsters, including Bosses if you check the Monster Book. Not sure how many items there are.
That's not a lot....

Ragnarok DS had 400 equipment Items alone, and most were listed 5 times each (once for each slot on the item), 66 cards, 22 usables and 114 special items, 130 monsters (including bosses).
Bringing the total number of ENTRIES to 1771 for items and enemies, which is not counting 729 item descriptions.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DeMoN said:
QUOTE(Ebanu @ Apr 29 2010, 09:46 PM) Pretty sure you'd have to know the korean names and english names of the monsters in order to know which thing in the files to replace. Not just as simple as looking at the pictures.

As someone who has played MapleStory PC and DS, I can say possibly, yes... but with one caveat: You should know VERY WELL what the items are.
While I have been playing, I have been able to identify many of the more common THIEF items/equipment by name, and the rest I could probably identify by looking at a list of names alone, since that is the class I played.

The game isn't like Ragnarok DS where they have a generic 'Spear' icon, a generic 'Katar' icon, a generic 'Sword' icon, etc.. that is used for all items of that type.
However, I do believe that the DS version lacks the 'color variant' of each equip, i.e. the game has the Red Pao, but without the Strength bonus, and lacks the Black (Luk) and Blue (Dex) versions. This is based on the fact that, for example, the Red Pao I have found doesn't add Strength, and I have not seen a monsters who drops Blue or Black Pao.

Poo... I didn't mean to double post
tongue.gif

Ebanu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
twiztidsinz said:
As someone who has played MapleStory PC and DS, I can say possibly, yes... but with one caveat: You should know VERY WELL what the items are.
While I have been playing, I have been able to identify many of the more common THIEF items/equipment by name, and the rest I could probably identify by looking at a list of names alone, since that is the class I played.
Only problem is, when you're translating you have a list of korean names that you need to replace with english ones. No pictures or anything to go off of. You still need to know all the items korean names to pair up with the english names you already know. Granted, if you had every item in-game then it wouldn't be hard to just use your in-game inventory as a reference for the korean names.

DarknessxD407

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do not try translating the whole script! It comes out really messy in some but unless you have played maplestory dont try translation with google or anything else. If you have make sure you are ABSOLUTELY sure it's correct. (most of mine translated from google are still there unmodified.)

sightlight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i know what im talking about dude...i play ms since 2002..also i forgot to say that after you google translate the whole script, fix it.

like what you said "Mushroom to of the Yellow" fix it to "Orange Mushroom"...

but honestly i dont have any expirience on rom hacking let alone coding..

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
sightlight said:
i know what im talking about dude...i play ms since 2002..also i forgot to say that after you google translate the whole script, fix it.

The problem is, the machine translation lacks a major facet of language: nuance.
The subtitles that can change a group of words into a meaningful sentence.

Porygon-X

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Switzerland
sightlight said:

Hmm? I didn't mean YOU didn't know what you're talking about ... it was the people who couldn't get "Green Jelly Blob".

You seem like a Maple Pro. Really.
Sorry for the confusing post!

DarknessxD407

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question. Do you guys think the translators would find it useful if the original text dump from DarthNemesis was there? I still have it...
(though they seem to not need it at all.)

mrfatso

That guy!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
sightlight said:
lol google traslate the whole script of monsters and items
biggrin.gif

If you need evidence, someone posted in korean and this was the result of google translation/babel fish

QUOTE said:
[size=10pt][/size]?? ??? ???. (Korean)
?????. ?? ??? ?? ?????? ????..
??? ?? ?? ???? ?? ?????.
??? ?? ?? ????? ??? ????.

i don't understand korean!
enlighs please

according to google translation:

I'll speak Korean. (Korean)
Hello I live in Korea, but not the code developer ..
South Korea boasts the code development is a good man.
We'll keep the United States Code developer friendly people.

Babelfished:

Korean will do as it is to. (Korean) Goodbye is. Me the cord developer who lives in Korea is not but. With the cord developer who is to Korea is an intimate person. American cord development flows live in future intimately.

does it make any sense to u guys? So, to those who are thinking of using online translation tools, forget it please

Mantre

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Coupons.jpg

I got the codes to work, but, the downside is that it requires a "BIG" serial code to work with KMS
frown.gif

sadly i amn't in KMS nor do i have any cereal >.>

minkyu716

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If you need any translators contact me. My mid-terms end tommorow and I will have a lot of free time.

If you are worried about the level of my english, I did win silver in the national english writing finals, and have a TOEFL ibt score of 114 out of 120.

The korean text someone posted earlier goes something like this.

I'll just speak korean. (apparently because he or she is not familliar with english)
Hello I'm not a code developer living in korea, but
I'm friends with a code hacker.
Lets, (korean/English coders) work on friendly terms in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto