Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Since a new Zelda is up and a lot of curiosities are being posted here recently, decided to post this here, quite interesting for Zelda fans
smile.gif

QUOTE said:
After development on 1998's acclaimed The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time wrapped, then-dungeon designer Eiji Aonuma was less than thrilled about moving on to the derivative spinoff of the game, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest, which used the original Ocarina's plot and structure but revised its dungeons.

In response to Aonuma's reluctance -- driven in large part by Aonuma's realization that, as the developer primarily responsible for the game's dungeons, he would bear the lion's share of work -- Ocarina director and Zelda creator Shigeru Miyamoto offered an ultimatum: If Aonuma could lead a team to create a new Zelda game in a single year, they wouldn't have to deal with developing a new so-called "flip-side" spinoff game.

"So you're saying The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask was the result of your team picking up the gauntlet he'd thrown down?" Nintendo president Satoru Iwata asked Aonuma in the latest edition of the internal "Iwata Asks" interview series.

"Yes. That was the deal," Aonuma replied. "We were supposed to make its sequel in a year."

"At first, we had absolutely no idea what sort of thing we were supposed to make, and we just kept expanding our plans," he admitted.

During the concept phase, perhaps as an extension of the its own compressed development cycle, the team kept coming back to the idea of a short, replayable game system.

"The 'Three-Day System,' the idea of a compact world to be played over and over again, came down from Miyamoto-san and one other director, [Yoshiaki] Koizumi-san," Aonuma recalled. "We added that to the mix, and then, finally, we saw the full substance of a The Legend of Zelda game we could make in one year."

Majora's Mask ended up fully developed and shipped to store shelves a mere 18 months after its predecessor was released. Its gameplay centered around a Groundhog Day-like mechanic by which the player could continuously replay the same period of time again and again, making progress while the NPCs' memories were repeatedly reset.

In retrospect, Iwata noted, that development attitude of developing a smaller, denser game world rather than a massive, sprawling environment in the vein of Ocarina of Time, inadvertently pointed the way to an emerging development style.

"I feel as though, back then, we were given a glimpse of the concept that 'Deep, compact play is one form of the games of the future.' In that sense, as a product, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask was a big turning point for Nintendo," the executive mused.

"That said, I had no idea it was the result of an argument," he added.

source: http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=26383

Who would have guessed that one of the best games in the series happened because Aonuma wanted to prove Miyamoto that he was good enough?
tongue.gif

ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand why people didn't like MM. If you ask me, the story is at least better than OoT, despite the game itself being a bit repetitive in a sense.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
ChaosBoi said:
I don't understand why people didn't like MM. If you ask me, the story is at least better than OoT, despite the game itself being a bit repetitive in a sense.
I can give exactly one reason. Having to go back in time and redo things you've already done earlier is not fun. Once done it should stay done and this whole thing about going back in time and losing all the changes you've made discourages playing the game in short bursts. Meaning that people that can't spend much time on a game can't get into it.

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Minox_IX said:
ChaosBoi said:
I can give exactly one reason. Having to go back in time and redo things you've already done earlier is not fun. Once done it should stay done and this whole thing about going back in time and losing all the changes you've made discourages playing the game in short bursts. Meaning that people that can't spend much time on a game can't get into it.
Time Hollow anyone?

ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You didn't necessarily have to redo everything. In fact, the only time I ever recall having to redo something is if you reversed time in the middle of a dungeon you've yet to complete, or if you missed something important.

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ChaosBoi said:
You didn't necessarily have to redo everything. In fact, the only time I ever recall having to redo something is if you reversed time in the middle of a dungeon you've yet to complete, or if you missed something important.
That's what I was about to say. If you've completed a sidequest once before then it's "done" to you, you don't need to do it again. If you clear a dungeon then you're "done", you don't need to do it again. The only exception to this is if it's a chain of events. It's not uncommon to dedicate an entire three day cycle to one side quest line.

I've always prefered Majora's Mask to Ocarina of Time. They're both great games, but I had more fun with Majora's.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Why is this now coming out?

Seriously this should have been on Nintendo Power, Dengeki, and Famitsu magizines 9-10 years ago.

GameDragon

Mugiwara RAWR!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Bah, I hated Majora's Mask. I tried to force myself through it, but I just couldn't stand it. I would have smashed it into pieces if it weren't for the gold cartridge. >_>

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
ChaosBoi said:
The keyword here is "everything". I do not want to redo anything unless it's really fun to do again.

Beware

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All I'm going to say is the true Zelda fanbase with full knowledge and experience in all the games almost unanimously agrees on the genius of MM. If you don't like it, it's your loss. You've missed out on the most interesting and unique experiences available on the market then, before then, now and likely into the future. It's a shame.

blackdragonbaham

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Minox_IX said:
ChaosBoi said:
The keyword here is "everything". I do not want to redo anything unless it's really fun to do again.

you actually have the choice if you want to redo something you've already finished or not. its' jut like ChaosBoi wrote. the world is kinda split in different partitions, one time done the partition is finished and you have not do do it anymore, but you can, and that without reseting the whole game once time, because the game allows you anyway to redo. thats also the charme of this zelda game, because you have the possibility to visit places or events that was very fun again, just within the gamestructure:. and besides i think it also is a good zelda game, couldn't understand why people couldn't stand it:.
the only thing that i don't like is the fact that before entering the final boss stage you everytime have to wait until the end even if you fasten' the time, and on the top of that everytime have to go threw the same lame event and cutscene:. that's very annoying, but the only event that you really have do redo everytime:.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the whole concept of the game never took off
and would never live up to the expectations of OoT

I particularly never liked it
just got frustrated doing the same shit over and over again and gave up on it
I dont like being timed

referencer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ganons said:
No where near oot imo
I came in this thread because I saw Majora's Mask in the title and I thought to myself "I wonder how long it'll take for it to the thread to become a dickwaving competition between people who liked MM and people who hated it."

I was not disappointed.

Edit: These Iwata Asks interviews always seem to reveal interesting stuff. Is there an archive of all of them anywhere? I can't find a list.

raybattousai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I loved Majora's Mask far more than Ocarina because it was actually challenging and the puzzles actually required thought! As for the whole having to do everything over again thats not really true, only certain side quests and errands related to certain events so really your only required to redo a lot if you should fail to accomplish what you set out to do before the 3 day time period is finished. With time slowed down you have something like 2hours to complete a temple which should be plenty as long as you start time over before you enter the temple

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.