Majora's Mask was created after Miyamoto's challenge to Aonuma

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by CockroachMan, Dec 5, 2009.

1. CockroachMan
    OP

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    Since a new Zelda is up and a lot of curiosities are being posted here recently, decided to post this here, quite interesting for Zelda fans [​IMG]

source: http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=26383

Who would have guessed that one of the best games in the series happened because Aonuma wanted to prove Miyamoto that he was good enough? [​IMG]

2. ganons

Member ganons GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    No where near oot imo

3. ChaosBoi

Member ChaosBoi Ushiromiya Battler

United States
    I don't understand why people didn't like MM. If you ask me, the story is at least better than OoT, despite the game itself being a bit repetitive in a sense.

4. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    I can give exactly one reason. Having to go back in time and redo things you've already done earlier is not fun. Once done it should stay done and this whole thing about going back in time and losing all the changes you've made discourages playing the game in short bursts. Meaning that people that can't spend much time on a game can't get into it.

5. Rock Raiyu

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    Time Hollow anyone?

6. Edgedancer

Member Edgedancer Director of Moon based operations

Australia
    I had never had great desire to play this game but when I read this article, I couldn't help but want to experience it for myself.

7. ChaosBoi

Member ChaosBoi Ushiromiya Battler

United States
    You didn't necessarily have to redo everything. In fact, the only time I ever recall having to redo something is if you reversed time in the middle of a dungeon you've yet to complete, or if you missed something important.

8. Gaisuto

Former Staff Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.

United States
    That's what I was about to say. If you've completed a sidequest once before then it's "done" to you, you don't need to do it again. If you clear a dungeon then you're "done", you don't need to do it again. The only exception to this is if it's a chain of events. It's not uncommon to dedicate an entire three day cycle to one side quest line.

I've always prefered Majora's Mask to Ocarina of Time. They're both great games, but I had more fun with Majora's.

9. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    Why is this now coming out?

Seriously this should have been on Nintendo Power, Dengeki, and Famitsu magizines 9-10 years ago.

10. GameDragon

Member GameDragon Mugiwara RAWR!

United States
    Bah, I hated Majora's Mask. I tried to force myself through it, but I just couldn't stand it. I would have smashed it into pieces if it weren't for the gold cartridge. >_>

11. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    The keyword here is "everything". I do not want to redo anything unless it's really fun to do again.

12. FestusArrestUs

Banned FestusArrestUs Banned

United States
    I loved Majora's Mask. When it comes to OoT and MM, its apples vs oranges. You can't compare them and people like them both for different reasons.

13. Beware

Member Beware GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    All I'm going to say is the true Zelda fanbase with full knowledge and experience in all the games almost unanimously agrees on the genius of MM. If you don't like it, it's your loss. You've missed out on the most interesting and unique experiences available on the market then, before then, now and likely into the future. It's a shame.

14. pieman202

Member pieman202 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I liked being able transform in majoras mask, that was my favourite bit about it

15. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    i hate MJ it's actually in my top 5 worst Zelda games

16. blackdragonbaham

Member blackdragonbaham GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    you actually have the choice if you want to redo something you've already finished or not. its' jut like ChaosBoi wrote. the world is kinda split in different partitions, one time done the partition is finished and you have not do do it anymore, but you can, and that without reseting the whole game once time, because the game allows you anyway to redo. thats also the charme of this zelda game, because you have the possibility to visit places or events that was very fun again, just within the gamestructure:. and besides i think it also is a good zelda game, couldn't understand why people couldn't stand it:.
    the only thing that i don't like is the fact that before entering the final boss stage you everytime have to wait until the end even if you fasten' the time, and on the top of that everytime have to go threw the same lame event and cutscene:. that's very annoying, but the only event that you really have do redo everytime:.

17. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    the whole concept of the game never took off
    and would never live up to the expectations of OoT

I particularly never liked it
    just got frustrated doing the same shit over and over again and gave up on it
    I dont like being timed

18. Raika

Member Raika uguu

Antarctica
    I wonder what inspired Pokemon... The zoo. [​IMG]

19. referencer

Member referencer GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I came in this thread because I saw Majora's Mask in the title and I thought to myself "I wonder how long it'll take for it to the thread to become a dickwaving competition between people who liked MM and people who hated it."

I was not disappointed.

Edit: These Iwata Asks interviews always seem to reveal interesting stuff. Is there an archive of all of them anywhere? I can't find a list.

20. raybattousai

Member raybattousai GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I loved Majora's Mask far more than Ocarina because it was actually challenging and the puzzles actually required thought! As for the whole having to do everything over again thats not really true, only certain side quests and errands related to certain events so really your only required to redo a lot if you should fail to accomplish what you set out to do before the 3 day time period is finished. With time slowed down you have something like 2hours to complete a temple which should be plenty as long as you start time over before you enter the temple