• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Major Ransomware attack worldwide at the moment.

image.jpeg

looks like the world is being attacked by a very serious Ransomware virus.

so far UK, US, China, Russia, Spain and many more data's being hold to Ransom. its called WannaCry. and affects windows computers.

The infections seem to be deployed via a worm - a program that spreads by itself between computers.

Most other malicious programmes rely on humans to spread by tricking them into clicking on an attachment harbouring the attack code.

By contrast, once WannaCry is inside an organisation it will hunt down vulnerable machines and infect them too.

Some experts say the attack may have been built to exploit a weakness in Microsoft systems that had been identified by the NSA and given the name EternalBlue.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39901382

Last edited by Chary,

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
1. oh now I see, So if we on Windows keep all our data on another drive, then the ransomware is practically useless!?
Maybe. Depends on how dumb the developers are. If the malware is hardcoded to only work with C:\, then sure, keeping data on D:\ or whatever would be fine. Though if it searches for other drives that use the Windows mount scheme (reason why this won't affect *nix outside of Wine) then it wouldn't make a difference.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
I meant outside of Wine. Wine mounts stuff outside of wine as a spereate disk, so isn't that the windows mount scheme?
No it doesn't. Wine keeps everything within its prefix. The drives it emulates are all within the prefix you set, or ~/.wine/dosdevices by default.

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
So... The ransomware was updated to version 2.0... And leaks state that it will start targeting Linux and Android...
we-are-fucked.jpg

You can see the spread of the malware live here. (Don't worry, it's safe.)

:arrow:SOURCE

Last edited by PrincessLillie,

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
So... The malware was updated to version 2.0... And leaks state that it will start targeting Linux and Android...
we-are-fucked.jpg

You can see the spread of the malware live here. (Don't worry, it's safe.)

:arrow:SOURCE
"Leaks"? Alright, sure. Regardless, what made this newsworthy was the fact that it was piggybacking off of a dangerous Windows exploit. Now that that's not the case I couldn't care any less as this is just another run-of-the-mill ransomware.

Reactions: Deleted User

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
"Leaks"? Alright, sure. Regardless, what made this newsworthy was the fact that it was piggybacking off of a dangerous Windows exploit. Now that that's not the case I couldn't care any less as this is just another run-of-the-mill ransomware.
Well, according to my source, this update has no killswitch.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What's stupid is that the exploit was patched TWO FREAKIN' MONTHS ago. On Windows 7, Windows 8.1 AND Windows 10. The fact that it managed to spread worries me about the intelligence of most computer users around the world.
What shows that the biggest Windows security hole..... are their users.

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
What's stupid is that the exploit was patched TWO FREAKIN' MONTHS ago. On Windows 7, Windows 8.1 AND Windows 10. The fact that it managed to spread worries me about the intelligence of most computer users around the world.
Don't forget Windows XP.
That was news two days ago.
SORRY! I don't get on Gamebanana (my source) much anymore. It was new to me.

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
Neither do most other ransomware. Let me know if this is leveraging a 0day in Android/Linux. Then I'll be interested. Anyway, if someone comes across a sample PM it to me.
Well, that's most other ransomware. This one is MUCH different. It has devastated the world. My source says nothing on the date for Linux and Android, but I would guess Soon™. Must be good to be a Chrome OS user right now. (I don't use Chrome OS.)

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Well, that's most other ransomware. This one is MUCH different. It has devastated the world. My source says nothing on the date for Linux and Android, but I would guess Soon™. Must be good to be a Chrome OS user right now. (I don't use Chrome OS.)
ChromeOS is Linux. The reason why this one was so devastating was because people fail to keep their computers up to date. Generally speaking this was honestly overly hyped, but I guess "the ignorance of thousands fucked up their computers" isn't as great or scary of a headline.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
But it has "devastated" the world because it was able to spread without user interaction thanks to a day zero exploit on the Windows SMB implementation paired together with clueless users that didn't update Windows for two full months.
Now the clueless users should not be clueless anymore, and save for the irresponsible ones their Windows versions should be updated.
Linux and Android are not vulnerable to this exploit from the start either.

So now, without that capability, this ransomware is irrelevant.

Reactions: Deleted User

NintendU_the_great

OFFICIAL GBATEMP TROLLER
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
India
But it has "devastated" the world because it was able to spread without user interaction thanks to a day zero exploit on the Windows SMB implementation paired together with clueless users that didn't update Windows for two full months.
Now the clueless users should not be clueless anymore, and save for the irresponsible ones their Windows versions should be updated.
Linux and Android are not vulnerable to this exploit from the start either.

So now, without that capability, this ransomware is irrelevant.
true.
nice signature ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Ah yes Jeff Butts a reporter you can trust