Tutorial MACycle - The Improved MAC Changer for HomePass!

Do you guys want to try an Open Beta with MACycle 2.00?

• Yes

Votes: 56 94.9%
  • No

Votes: 3 5.1%

• Total voters

loco365

OP
Trophies
XP
Yep, like I said in my above post; MACycle v1.2 works on one of my winXP desktop using the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB adapter/soft AP mod. Not sure why I couldn't get it working on the other - possibly due to remnants of the official nintendo wi-fi usb drivers still lurking in registry somewhere (despite several thorough reinstalls/uninstalls).
Remember to rename the soft AP/nintendo wi-fi adapter "Wi-Fi" so that MACycle knows which connection it's cycling MAC ad's on.
I may be changing that for the next version so that you can name it whatever you want to. It'll default to "Wi-Fi", but you can change it whenever, and it'll be saved into the MACycle.exe.config file.

Team Fail:
Please remove the sequential MAC cycling and force to cycle random.
Everyone should only cycle random, to spread the seeds evenly.

Well, once more people start using Random, even using sequential will even make it random. However, keeping it means you can track your progress of what you have and haven't used in terms of MACs.

Radz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you can't use it on XP on wired connection?
Wired should be fine...I would think preferred honestly...but I can let you know for sure tonight. My parents have a wired desktop and I'll be installing the modified Nintendo Wi-Fi Adapter to try and create a hotspot.

I think the problem is that you cannot create a virtual hotspot natively in XP so you have to have a dongle or card that supports it...which the modified Nintendo Adapter apparently does. Gotta be honest, I haven't dived in to the XP experience yet, so I'm not super familiar with it yet.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So you can't use it on XP on wired connection?

I didn't get as far as trying MACycle on my wired connection xp pc, as I couldn't get anything to connect to the nintendo adapter. I don't know if the wired connection was a factor in why it wouldn't work on my xp machine wired directly to the router, or if it was because of driver conflicts or similar. The xp machine I did get it working on is a relatively clean install with very little running on it (I'd certainly never installed the nintendo wi-fi usb adapter on it before, unlike the pc that I couldn't get it working on), and connects to the internet via a pci wireless card (connecting wirelessly to the same router my other pc is wired to).

I may be changing that for the next version so that you can name it whatever you want to. It'll default to "Wi-Fi", but you can change it whenever, and it'll be saved into the MACycle.exe.config file.

Good to know, but not a problem really.

And as for the other point about forcing random cycling; I do this manually anyway - and even setting the timer down low enough to get 10 passes an hour I rarely hit the same person twice.
I'd actually like to see more options, other than sequential and random, added - such as the ability to run through (either sequentially or randomly) a user-created list of macs. Would be handy for accessing the "Mii colour" mac addresses, the list of macs of people unable to change their ssid/mac, and combinations of all macs.

Radz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And as for the other point about forcing random cycling; I do this manually anyway - and even setting the timer down low enough to get 10 passes an hour I rarely hit the same person twice.
I'd actually like to see more options, other than sequential and random, added - such as the ability to run through (either sequentially or randomly) a user-created list of macs. Would be handy for accessing the "Mii colour" mac addresses, the list of macs of people unable to change their ssid/mac, and combinations of all macs.
Maybe have a series of checkboxes of included MAC lists (Prime, Nintendo Zone, GBATemp, Particular Colors or Games) and it will randomly sort through all MACs in the selected lists.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe have a series of checkboxes of included MAC lists (Prime, Nintendo Zone, GBATemp, Particular Colors or Games) and it will randomly sort through all MACs in the selected lists.
That's not a bad idea, but in the case of the Mii colour lists having it so someone can just check off any and all macs would lead to a lot of incorrectly coloured Miis corrupting the various "zones" set up for specific colours - imo to safeguard against that sort of thing (or at least minimize it occurring) it would be best to have to input the macs manually.
And as for the macs of users unable to change their ssid/mac - that's a list that's going to be constantly growing/changing, so unless MACycle is going to update it's own lists I can't see those being able to be added.

Radz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not a bad idea, but in the case of the Mii colour lists having it so someone can just check off any and all macs would lead to a lot of incorrectly coloured Miis corrupting the various "zones" set up for specific colours - imo to safeguard against that sort of thing (or at least minimize it occurring) it would be best to have to input the macs manually.
That's true. I was just brainstorming and listing lists. Really, anything more specific than Prime, GBAtemp, and NZ wouldn't work anyhow. We need some full color lists so that you can get more than one pass of a guaranteed color.

Actually, a resolution to the color problem could be to set the color list under their own RADIO button instead. You could only set a single color at a time. Yeah, people could use the wrong color still, but that can happen just as easy with the manual entering too...though I guess people might be more likely to screw around with people when all they have to do is click instead of type it out...

loco365

OP
Trophies
XP
I have only a little question... can you implement a pause button? ^_^
I might. I have a lot to add, and I have little time. I haven't been able to get to it in almost an entire week, because of work, school, and whatever else comes my way.

I'm planning to add a separate tab where you can add custom MACs, and cycle through them however.

I plan that with the custom MACs, you can add all the others you want to use, but I don't really want to have lists because it can be abused, as mentioned.

Radz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a confirmation, I got the relay set up on my parents' XP desktop and it works with MACycle and a wired connection. Works better than mine actually since my Atheros drivers are jackin' up my MACs on the virtual hotspot.

JRave

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Where should I share my MAC address for my homemade streetpass?

ssid: attwifi
mac: E2:91:F5:FB:8E:09

Also I went Wardriving today and picked up the Mac addresses of some official Nintendo Zone hotspots where I live. Would it be okay to share those too?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvvH5W4E2lIwdEFCUkxrM085ZGp0UkZlenp6SkJablE#gid=0

You can add them via comments in the relevant sheets. Tane or someone else will update the sheets later.

And you don't have to log into Google to add comments.

Reactions: Monty Kensicle

loco365

OP
Trophies
XP
You may want to look at updating this in the original post, as I and a few others have confirmed v1.2 works flawlessly in xp.

Alright. If I can get a confirmed set of instructions as to how to get it working in XP, I'll link it. For now, I'll say it works with some modifications.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Alright. If I can get a confirmed set of instructions as to how to get it working in XP, I'll link it. For now, I'll say it works with some modifications.
I followed the winXP set-up guide, using Nintendo Wi-Fi usb adapter exactly - which included using the exact version numbers of the buffalo driver and ASUS software as detailed in the http://www.digifail.com/text/wfchack.shtml guide, rather than the most recent versions linked in the guide posted here.
The only other differences I made to the set-up being:
Encryption Tab: Network Authentication - Open, Data Encryption - WEP. Then Manually Assign a Key (whatever you want).
Probably not a major factor, more down to personal preference, but I left data encryption disabled.
Access Control Tab: Access Control Policy - Accept. Add all the Remote StreetPass Relay MAC's to the Access Control List.
The ASUS software only lets you put in 30 MACs, so adding all the known streetpass MACs is impossible... but more importantly, not required! The MACs added to the Access Control Policy tab in the ASUS software is referring to the MACs of the devices that you'll be wanting to use to connect to the soft AP - so I just input the MAC of my 3DS.
Once I'd verified that my 3DS could connect to the softAP I unzipped the MACycle files into a folder in the Program Files folder on /C:, created a start menu shortcut, launched it, set Random, input xxx seconds, hit start, and got passes!

B-)

d4mation

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I followed the winXP set-up guide, using Nintendo Wi-Fi usb adapter exactly - which included using the exact version numbers of the buffalo driver and ASUS software as detailed in the http://www.digifail.com/text/wfchack.shtml guide, rather than the most recent versions linked in the guide posted here.

I did the very same thing (but with the newest versions of the driver and the software). I can connect to the Nintendo Zone, but MACycle isn't changing my MAC Address for the Nintendo Wi-Fi dongle. I even checked with Technitrium MAC Address Changer to be sure and the MAC Address isn't getting changed by MACycle. I'm not sure if it is a difference in how the AP is being set up by the ASUS software in comparison to the older version so MACycle isn't properly locating the dongle or something else.

Also, Digifail has been down since at least last night. Here's an alternative way to access the guide: http://web.archive.org/web/20120313231043/http://www.digifail.com/text/wfchack.shtml

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I did the very same thing (but with the newest versions of the driver and the software). I can connect to the Nintendo Zone, but MACycle isn't changing my MAC Address for the Nintendo Wi-Fi dongle. I even checked with Technitrium MAC Address Changer to be sure and the MAC Address isn't getting changed by MACycle. I'm not sure if it is a difference in how the AP is being set up by the ASUS software in comparison to the older version so MACycle isn't properly locating the dongle or something else.
Did you change the name of the ASUS softAP connection to Wi-Fi? Forgot to mention that in my last post.

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having a hard time for my hotspotting working correctly. I am able to get the hotspot to show up on avaliable networks but whenever I get a device such as my iPhone or 3DS connected no data is going through when I try connecting to a browser and such.

Here is the device I bought.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CIWPpZuTn7kCFQai4AodQnQA6A

Here is my setup.
hotspot.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: How's Samsung still going to make a tablet with 2.0...