Hacking Luma3DS - Noob-proof 3DS Custom Firmware

boyfriendcoma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would anyone be so kind as to tell me whether the overclock function for Luma (on N3DS) is enabled by default? It’s not “enabled” in the startup Luma settings, but in the Rosalina menu under N3DS settings, I see the options to disable L2 cache and to lower overclock speed (apologies as I’ve forgotten the mhz). I’m totally not worried, in fact I’d prefer the overclock function be enabled, I’d just love to confirm this is intended. Thanks!

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It isn't.
What are you trying to say here?

Would anyone be so kind as to tell me whether the overclock function for Luma (on N3DS) is enabled by default? It’s not “enabled” in the startup Luma settings, but in the Rosalina menu under N3DS settings, I see the options to disable L2 cache and to lower overclock speed (apologies as I’ve forgotten the mhz). I’m totally not worried, in fact I’d prefer the overclock function be enabled, I’d just love to confirm this is intended. Thanks!
Overclock has a potential for misunderstanding in this context.
First of all: The N3DS CPU isn't overclocked by Luma3DS in the sense "running higher than intended". Applying the full speed of 804MHz instead of 268MHz for older titles (before the "New" series) came out can be considered overclocking in some sense.
Nintendo went the 200% safe route and decided to give any older title the environment it expects (O3DS clock rate + no L2 cache). Most of the time the higher clock rates don't cause problems in games and can theoretically improve the performance on old titles (if they lag at some point and CPU is the bottleneck).

Try this:
  • Verify that the "overclock" and "L2 Cache" options are off in Luma3DS settings – hold (Select) on power on
  • Start an old game or System Settings (yes, the settings app can be considered "old" in this sense)
  • Open Rosalina menu and look if you get the option to increase clock rate and enable L2 cache
Home Menu on the other side must be considered a "new" app. The higher frequency+cache should be on by default when opening Rosalina in Home Menu.

Good luck and have fun!

boyfriendcoma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Overclock has a potential for misunderstanding in this context.
First of all: The N3DS CPU isn't overclocked by Luma3DS in the sense "running higher than intended". Applying the full speed of 804MHz instead of 268MHz for older titles (before the "New" series) came out can be considered overclocking in some sense.
Nintendo went the 200% safe route and decided to give any older title the environment it expects (O3DS clock rate + no L2 cache). Most of the time the higher clock rates don't cause problems in games and can theoretically improve the performance on old titles (if they lag at some point and CPU is the bottleneck).

Try this:
  • Verify that the "overclock" and "L2 Cache" options are off in Luma3DS settings – hold (Select) on power on
  • Start an old game or System Settings (yes, the settings app can be considered "old" in this sense)
  • Open Rosalina menu and look if you get the option to increase clock rate and enable L2 cache
Home Menu on the other side must be considered a "new" app. The higher frequency+cache should be on by default when opening Rosalina in Home Menu.

Good luck and have fun!
Wow, this was such a thorough and kind explanation! I’m very grateful for your input, as I finally understand where I was getting tripped up. What a lovely place to be, happy new year to you!

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
I’ll just ask here, I have a modded New 3DS XL with Luma 3D, everything works fine no issues, however if I want to update a game I have installed it asks me to update the system, normally I keep online functionality off and I haven’t been in the eshop for several months, is it safe to update the system or should I just ignore the update message on the game?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I’ll just ask here, I have a modded New 3DS XL with Luma 3D, everything works fine no issues, however if I want to update a game I have installed it asks me to update the system, normally I keep online functionality off and I haven’t been in the eshop for several months, is it safe to update the system or should I just ignore the update message on the game?
Hold (Select) on power on to get Luma3DS settings. On the very top it should say: "Luma3DS v???? configuration"
If you have latest (v10.2.1 at the moment), updating official firmware is fine. Else: Please update your installation before the official firmware:
https://3ds.hacks.guide/restoring-updating-cfw

Good luck and have fun!

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
Reactions: KleinesSinchen

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I have heard about a new Luma Update Release.:lol:

Luma3DS v10.3

• Add more detailed battery percentage, plus battery voltage and temperature
  • Add an option to dump the DSP firmware from Home Menu, effectively making programs like DSP1 obsolete
  • Split NTP and user time offset nullification. This means two things:
    • Time changes are immmediately visible and you do not need to reboot your console after using the feature anymore (although Home Menu might not always immmediately display the new time -- just open and close an application in that case)
    • Programs like ctr-no-timeoffset should not be needed anymore. Also, even if 3ds.hacks.guide recommends it and GodMode9 mandates it, time offset nullification should not be done
  • Also improve the precision of the NTP client implementation and fix a few bugs. It can be precise as +- 1ms (usually), although some of this precision is lost when rebooting
  • Do not initialize the screens in the very common case the user has only one payload in the /luma/payloads folder, effectively working around a long-standing bug
  • Fix reading emuNAND sector 0 for RedNAND and Gateway-style emuNAND (#1687, @aspargas2)
  • Fix a few bugs in the cheat system (#1623, @s5bug)
  • Add ASCII View to Rosalina Process List (#1703, @George-lewis)
  • Allow using game-patching on Home Menu (#1634, @gabe565)
  • Wait for the user to release the B key when exiting the Rosalina menu. This should prevent games to think the B key has been pressed (#1701, suggestion from @Epicpkmn11)
  • gdb: properly handle software breakpoints
  • General system stability improvements to enhance the user's experience

Furqaan12

Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritius
What if i dont chack my sd card with h2testw.will it make change something

And could it be a reason why a 3ds being turn off after installing cfw

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat