Looking to buy Xbox, but I want to use it for certain things.

Gettwobirdsstone

Triforce Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As the title states, I want to use XBMC/Kodi, possibly upgrade HD or figure out some way to read games from my laptop, use emulators, play DVD's and copy all my music. Is there a certain model/firmware version that I should look for, and what accessories do I need to perform theses things.

cots

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can use any version/model (1.0 - 1.6), but I would try to find a 1.6 as it's the newest model you can find. You'll need a modchip that supports LBA48+ (for the upgraded hard drive) and the stuff to open up the console (special screwdriver) and soldering supplies to attach the chip to it. To upgrade the hard drive you'll need to purchase a SATA -> IDE adapter, unless you want to shell out a lot of money for a large IDE drive. You can find a lot of info and some guides on this site. I hope that helps.

05sonicblue

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if you are still looking, but I recently put a 3TB SATA in my 1.6 and didn't have any issues, other than there being a minor bug in XBPartitioner. Most dashboards support LBA48 now so if it's a softmod it should be fine. If it's a hardmod, then you'll want to make sure it supports that. There is still a hard limit of 2.2TB (1.1 for F and 1.1 for G).

Softmodding has come a long way and can be done 100% on the console now. No PC with IDE ports are required anymore. CHIMP and XBPartitioner is all that you really need. Once it's softmodded, you can install XBMC4XBOX (a few versions prior to KODI). If you go the SATA route, you will need an adapter and make sure the drive is lockable. I used a WD MyCloud 3TB Drive.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You'd still need an entrypoint into the Xbox to gain the ability to execute arbitrary code.
So PC's with IDE cables are still required if you don't have a hacked gamesave and exploitable game.

05sonicblue

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You'd still need an entrypoint into the Xbox to gain the ability to execute arbitrary code.
So PC's with IDE cables are still required if you don't have a hacked gamesave and exploitable game.

True, I was assuming the the use of one of the 3 games; however, there are lots of IDE adapters for USB or SATA so almost any computer would do, but I do recommend using one with a CD drive to get into the appropriate software. You may need to inject the adapter drivers, but shouldn't need to. CHIMP was able to use the adapter without any problem, so I imagine HDM would be the same.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Upgrading Xbox HDD is best done with Chimp indeed.
Easier and doesn't has much risk of corrupting the HDD.
Unless it's a hardmodded xbox ofcourse.

funnystory

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As the title states, I want to use XBMC/Kodi, possibly upgrade HD or figure out some way to read games from my laptop, use emulators, play DVD's and copy all my music. Is there a certain model/firmware version that I should look for, and what accessories do I need to perform theses things.

i set my kodi up for xbox and its not worth it.You miss out on the best features basically,there are better options for kodi.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
i set my kodi up for xbox and its not worth it.You miss out on the best features basically,there are better options for kodi.

Kinda really got to agree on it.
Kodi/XBMC is great, if you primarily use it for media purposes.
As for games being the primary purpose, just go with UnleashX.
You won't spend much time in the dashboard anyway.

funnystory

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kinda really got to agree on it.
Kodi/XBMC is great, if you primarily use it for media purposes.
As for games being the primary purpose, just go with UnleashX.
You won't spend much time in the dashboard anyway.

The xbox didn't have enough ram for rom collection browser so everytime I would scroll through my games the cover arts would crash it.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The xbox didn't have enough ram for rom collection browser so everytime I would scroll through my games the cover arts would crash it.

128MB RAM mod would solve it.
Tho it's extremely costly.

Tried a setting for covers with lower resolution btw?
Might resolve the issue.

funnystory

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
128MB RAM mod would solve it.
Tho it's extremely costly.

Tried a setting for covers with lower resolution btw?
Might resolve the issue.

I used auto covers from giantbomb and gamecovers if I wanted to do what you suggest I would have to manually change the details for over 800 roms. It just doesn't seem worth it to me. The 128 ram mod is a pain in the rear for very little game and I am pretty sure you can't play xbox games anymore because they will run on double speed.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I used auto covers from giantbomb and gamecovers if I wanted to do what you suggest I would have to manually change the details for over 800 roms. It just doesn't seem worth it to me. The 128 ram mod is a pain in the rear for very little game and I am pretty sure you can't play xbox games anymore because they will run on double speed.

Xbox games will continue to work normally.
CPU upgrade however might speed things up a little.
Devkits have 128MB of RAM and retails games can load on it.

No setting in the auto cover downloader?

funnystory

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xbox games will continue to work normally.
CPU upgrade however might speed things up a little.
Devkits have 128MB of RAM and retails games can load on it.

No setting in the auto cover downloader?

I quit messing with it tbh,I might eventually set up coinops but for the most part my xbox just collects dust. It was one of the most hackable consoles to date though and had some pretty good emulator support.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Fair enough~

I actually never really bothered with covers.
Especially for emulators.
All I care about is that it operates.
Be it text or GUI based.

Covers on 360/PS3 get auto downloaded (360 after logging into JQE and setting it up on the 360) so their a nice addition for games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-