Hardware Looking to Build a Budget Gaming PC

MarioBrotha

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So seeing as I finally have some money for myself, I figured why not build my very own PC. However, while I'm quite ok tearing down and fixing computers, I'm sort of lost as the kind of parts I should be going for. So I figured that you guys could help me find some budget-friendly parts for me.

Here's the games I would like to run:
ALL of the games in the Valve Pack
DotA 2

And, well, that's it. There will be a lot of other games that I will play, but they run fine on my netbook, so I don't expect to have any problems running them.
The only thing that I won't need to buy is a Video Card. I bought a somewhat new card a few months ago, and I will use that thing until it dies.

And also, I will need to buy a Wi-Fi Card. I'm just pointing it out since most guides don't generally include one.
Any suggestions are welcome!

hatredg0d

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
have you ever shopped on newegg? thats were i build my computers from.

do you have any parts laying around that u want to use?

whats your price range? 5-600 hundred cam get you a nice little rig

I recommend amd, for both CPU and GPU, but thats ur choice.

overslept

WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WORLD
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MarioBrotha said:
And also, I will need to buy a Wi-Fi Card. I'm just pointing it out since most guides don't generally include one.
Any suggestions are welcome!

I'd go with a USB adapter instead of a dedicated PCI/PCI-e, just because they're cheaper and most of the time get better reception. This can be due to the card being somewhat blocked by the chassis, while with an adapter you set it up nicely on top of your rig or a nearby shelf.

I'd usually recommend ethernet, but for Wi-Fi, a USB adapter is the way to go.

MarioBrotha

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only part that I will be transfering over is the Video Card, which I got from Newegg.

And Arwing, I didn't know that. Anyone else want to put their opinion before I buy that Wi-Fi Adapter?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
It would be nice to know what "video card" you have to have an idea of what games it is capable of.

The definition of "a budget gaming PC" is generally a PC with a graphics card. More specifically, a somewhat newer graphics card if you want to play newer games. Since Valve Source games are as high as you want to go, then just about any graphics card produced in the last 6 or so years will do. The rest is just any CPU (probably AMD Athlon II series just because they're so cheap), any motherboard, any HDD, at least 2GB of RAM, any case and the cheapest branded PSU you can find (it'll probably be in the 450W range, but you HAVE to check what wattage is recommended for your graphics card first).

Tl:dr, gaming uses the graphics card more than anything else. So long as your graphics are good, the rest doesn't matter what you get.

MarioBrotha

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I don't know exactly the model number, but I can tell you that it was bought about 4 months ago, from Newegg, and I paid about $150 for it. With it, I could play Portal 2 perfectly, which is why I said I will not have a problem with the video card.
I just need some suggestions, and for some Tempers to tell me if all the parts will work together. I should've said this before, but my budget is around $450. I can go up to $550 if I REALLY need to, but I really hope I won't.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Suggestions:
Guide.png

MarioBrotha

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if I just go to the "Very Good" row, and take off the price off the Video Card, leaving the total price around $450, would that be all I need to do?

hatredg0d

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MarioBrotha said:
The only part that I will be transfering over is the Video Card, which I got from Newegg.

And Arwing, I didn't know that. Anyone else want to put their opinion before I buy that Wi-Fi Adapter?
i actually was going to say the same thing about usb wifi. kinda funny, but i have the same wifi adaptor the guy posted above, without the extention kit.

works very nice. wirless n even =) ya whats ur GPU?
but if your gpu is decent, 450 can make u a nice rig

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
@Mario, pretty much. As long as you match the CPU to the motherboard from the same line, and get a decent PSU, then that's all that matters.

@FireGrey, this is based on American newegg prices. Australian electronics are considerably more expensive (blame the economy). Also, you can find it for $30. As for the GPUs... well, the GPU does, for the large part, make the computer (in terms of ranking). The CPU does the office work whilst the GPU does all the big flashy stuff on screen.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only time you'll want to spend as much on your CPU as your graphics card for a gaming rig on a budget is if you intend to run multiple intensive applications concurrently.** If you're a one game at a time person you can probably do fine with a dual or triple core in the 2.8+ghz range if we're talking AMD, and those run real cheap.

Since you've already shopped with Newegg before I can also suggest you check out their DIY kit section and combo deals... but if you want to trust my judgement, as a distant lurker that barely ever speaks, just say the word (PM!!!!) and I'll be happy to actually make you a Newegg shopping list.

Also, if you already have a decently sized HDD that can be used for your download folder and multimedia collections, then getting an 40-60 GB SSD to use as a boot drive and install location for your most played games may be possible in your budget. SSD can lower the boot time and application launch time considerably for you.. I recently got a 64GB Mushkin and haven't regretted it for a second!

** I multibox or play multiple 3D games regularly on a pretty old quad-core system (only upgrade since 2009 was the SSD) but I can really hit a wall if I try for a third concurrent 3d game window. Two of them open with full Aero effects doesn't cause any trouble though. If I can run 2x Aion and a Netflix on a large display with that old machine, I'm confident I can help you with a better build as I didn't pay much more than 500 in 2009 (though some parts were hijacked from old machines as well).

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Also another benefit of having a really fast dual core (and not a quadcore with lower clockspeed) is you will be able to run emulators a lot better. Emulators like PCSX 2 (for the PS2) and Dolphin (GC and Wii, 1080p!) really work the best when you have a dual core with a very high clockspeed.
They don't use the other cores, they are programmed to only use 2 cores.
And they work great, I've completed DQ VIII on PCSX 2, and still busy with God of War 1 and 2 now. So much fun.

PettingZoo

yesss
Trophies
Website
iancoulton.com
XP
Country
Originality said:
@FireGrey, this is based on American newegg prices. Australian electronics are considerably more expensive (blame the economy).

That is true, our electronics are through the damn roof. Although RAM is still $35-$45~
biggrin.gif

Also OP what graphics card do you have? It shouldn't be hard at all to find out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users