Looking for the best price/quality Linux-based netbook

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Overlord Nadrian, May 6, 2010.

1. Overlord Nadrian
    OP

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    So, as some might have already read in the litterbox, my brother destroyed my laptop. It was my only computer [​IMG] I can't fix it, so I just took out the hard drives and now I'm looking for a good Linux-based netbook. I want Linux cos I'm just sick of Windows. It has too many bugs and viruses (no pun intended).

Any suggestions?

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

Please, please please please please please do yourself a favor and read that first.
    Linux is not a bug and virus-free version of windows like many people would lead you to believe it is.

3. Overlord Nadrian
    OP

Belgium
    I have used Fedora for a long time. I'm no Linux newbie. Most Linux distros > Windows by far.

4. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Where do you live, what currency are you using, price range, ordering online?

5. Overlord Nadrian
    OP

Belgium
    No online ordering, price should be under 800 but I guess that should do, I obviously live in Belgium.

Just give me some names of netbooks I can buy in stores.

Also, if it has a tracking ball (or whatever the small dot in the middle of the keyboard is called) it's great, because I just love those things [​IMG]

6. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Usual link to xkcd: http://xkcd.com/243/

Back on topic I would not be so quick to dismiss the windows ones- depending on vendor it can make little/no difference to price and you can then turn around and stick linux on there as well. I have not paid much attention to them of late but some of the netbook specific remixes/forks/packages spent some time working the windows models in there.

7. I2aven's_Sag

Member I2aven's_Sag GBATemp Otaku

United States
    Why not just dual boost Linxus and Windows so you get the best of both worlds? (Apologies if this is a redundant statement), but considering the Bug/Virus argument, I thought it seemed semi-relevant.

-/2aven

8. Overlord Nadrian
    OP

Belgium
    Dual boot is good, but I just want the netbook to have a Linux distro already installed. If possible, I might even go ahead and triple boot with MacOS. Thanks for the suggestions anyway guys, I appreciate it.