Looking for a new RAM for my laptop(few questions more advices appreciated)

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by gengardenne, Jul 31, 2017.

1. gengardenne
    OP

gengardenne GBAtemp Regular

Nov 14, 2016
    Italy
    Hi, from a not few time,more than 2 month XD,I'm searching a good RAM of 4GB/8GB(preferably) to increase my pc's environment to test more software togheter or not.
    For now I found two interesting offers but before all I need to know if are them compatible with my notebook.HOW CAN I KNOW IF A RAM IS COMPATIBLE WITH A PC?I NEED TO KNOW THIS
    Said that here there are my attual prestation:
    ACER Aspire E5-771G
    Intel Core i5 421OU
    CPU 1.70 GHz up to 2.7
    Memory type DDR3 4GB RAM
    DRAM frequency of 799.9 MHz

These are the most important information in my opinion.I'm not looking for an expansive one ,infact I'm going to buy around 30-50 $ because don't know if buy a DDR4 is a good idea at the moment.

There are the two offers I most considered(I'll remove links if this is not possible)
    https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Tec...501489275&sr=8-15&keywords=4+gb+ram+ddr3+1.35I was going to buy it infact I want an 8GB one
    https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technology-1600MHz-PC3-12800-KVR16LS11/dp/B00CQ35GYE/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1501489275&sr=8-15&keywords=4+gb+ram+ddr3+1.35&th=1
    There are much others I know but these are not bad,the point is to know if them are compatible my notebook

Thank to all for your support!

Last edited by gengardenne, Jul 31, 2017

2. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    You MUST buy DDR3, you won't be able to use DDR4 because it's a different standard. Typically hardware manufacturers will have a PDF document with tested RAM modules on their website for download, check there under the laptops product page

3. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    crucial.com's memory adviser says the E5-771G can take either DDR3L-1600 or DDR3-1600 SODIMMs. I'd usually recommend DDR3L since it runs at a lower voltage and thus you'd get better battery life.

Things to note:
    • 1600 is the recommended speed. You can use faster memory, but you probably won't see any performance benefit. Slower memory will also work, but it'll be slower.
    • Since it's a laptop, you have to get an SODIMM, not a regular full-size DIMM.
    • DDR3 and DDR4 modules are *not* compatible. They're notched differently to prevent you from putting a DDR4 module in a DDR3 slot and vice-versa.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  4. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    Here is some decent ram you can get

5. gengardenne
    OP

Nov 14, 2016
    Italy
    The page of my model seem to be expired on Acer.com
    Ok about the DDR4 clarification don't knew about the difference of the slot.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I looked them before but the ones I found was more convenient.Anyway thank you for your help :)

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

The last two points are clear ,but where you found 1600 is the recommended speed?Always from crucial.com?Also the SODIMM part was important also if I already knew it

6. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    1600's what Crucial recommended. Speed shouldn't matter too much, though.

7. gengardenne
    OP

Nov 14, 2016
    Italy
  8. jDSX

jDSX *pokes*

Jun 15, 2015
    United States
    Happy furry land with Lucar
    Yup low voltage ram is what you must use for that laptop.

9. gengardenne
    OP

Nov 14, 2016
    Italy
    Ok.
    I would have few other little questions:
    1 The RAM's speed is measured in MHz?Because above they say me 1600 was reccomanded for my notebook and I found a RAM with 1600MHz and I want to know if this is what I mean
    2 DRAM frequency depends from RAM to RAM or is it static?Because mine is 799.9 MHz but on CPU-Z this value appear on memory board * I think is static but I'm asking

The RAM present in stock with the notebook has a voltage of 1.35 V so the new one should work properly.
    This one is DDR3(not L) PC3-12800(800 MHz)
    Timing table:
    JEDEC#4 609 MHz frequency
    JEDEC#5 685
    JEDEC#6 761
    JEDEC#7 800

The new RAM I'm purchasing instead is:
    1600 MHz DDR3L(PC3-12800) 1.35 V Non ECC11

The last question is: DDR3L are compatible with DDR3 slot?Is only a voltage difference I know.And are these two RAM compatible between them?

Last edited by gengardenne, Aug 1, 2017
  10. Felek666

Felek666 Archdemon | #AMDForever

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    reddit.com/r/satania/
    DDR3L is the same as DDR3 expect for lower power consumption (and in my opinion, better performance since you have bigger battery life)
    I think, you can mix them. If there's some sort of incompatibility, laptop will either not boot up or it will dismiss 2 incompatible ram sticks (which mostly doesn't happen)
    Also, if you're mounting these, you have to shove it till it clicks. Unless you want half-inserted RAM.

11. gengardenne
    OP

Nov 14, 2016
    Italy
    I seen like mount RAM few months ago so thank you anyway for your advice.

I'm scaried to buy this one of 50$ to discover then it is incompatible,still not convinced about know if a purchased RAM can be compatible with a pc in general.Ok the difference between DIMM and SO-DIMM ,MHz frequency(clear enough) and the incompatibility of DDR3/DDR4 but to be sure to 100% which other variable should I consider?

Looking my specificals before your last reply what you think about?

12. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I have bought G.Skill RAM exclusively for the last 10 years, and not a single bad stick. They aren't the best overclockers, but at stock speeds and voltages, they're rock-solid performers.

13. Youkai

Youkai Demon

Jul 1, 2004
    Germany
    Germany , NRW
    One very important Question
    Does your laptop have a free ram slot ??
    Some already have two Ram sticks already, some have one ram build in plus one slot free to use and some have 2 ram slots that you can use (if you take out the original one)

Like if you have 2x 2gb inside already you or maybe 1x 4GB makes a difference. like with 2x2 if you buy another 4 you still lose 2 which only adds up to 6 while having one 4 and adding another 4 would get you 8 ... depending on your situation you might either want to buy one or two new ram.

14. Felek666

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    reddit.com/r/satania/
    My Acer Aspire 7540G has 4 RAM slots (And normal DDR3 slots, not SO-DIMM) so i think OP will have the same.
    4 slots, that's normal for Acer.

15. TheKawaiiDesu

TheKawaiiDesu Ball of Kawaiiness

Aug 23, 2015
    Korea, North
    Lowee
    No, your laptop isn't using desktop DDR3 RAM.

(go to ~11:51)
    Pretty much all laptops are using SO-DIMM, because it is much more compact than standard DIMM (6cm vs 13cm in length).

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  16. Felek666

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    reddit.com/r/satania/
    Oh. neato.

17. gengardenne
    OP

Nov 14, 2016
    Italy
    2 slots I remember of which one free.Because mine is a laptop I believe while your Acer should be a desktop one if it support the DIMM standard.

Below you can find 3 images:

the first one is of the RAM I want buy for my notebook,the second is memory of my RAM e the third is of the attual RAM slot.

Attached Files:

18. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    what are the best overclockers?

19. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I've had good luck with Corsair's DOMINATOR series, and they have great tall heatspreaders on them.

20. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    i am thinking in replacing and upgrading this temporary stick i got..
    was thinking about either the dominators, or go with g skill fancy rgb

Jayro likes this.