Looking for a New Laptop HDD. Any recommendation?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by VinsCool, Sep 11, 2016.

1. VinsCool
    OP

VinsCool Scrambled Mind

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Hiya!

So following up my problem about my laptop's HDD, it's indeed showing failure. So I need a new one :P

What are you guys recommending me? HDD? SSD? What are the best brands and the best deals? I want to get something durable :) Price enters in consideration, but if I have to pay for quality, I will.

2. Magical Sheep

Magical Sheep The Super Stylish Black Cat

Jan 22, 2016
    United States
    The Metaverse
    I would go with an SSD. I prefer the Samsung or Sandisk ones. They can get kinda pricey, but super fast. :D If you still want an HHD, go for something by Seagate. I have two of their HHDs in my PC right now, and they've been working just fine for years now. It really just depends on what you use the laptop for. If it's gaming or just general use, go with a mid-high capacity SSD. If you do lots of rendering, I would go with an HDD.

3. VinsCool
    OP

VinsCool Scrambled Mind

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    It's mostly general use and (sometimes) gaming. What do you mean by "rendering"? Video encoding?

4. Fishaman P

Fishaman P Speedrunner

Jan 2, 2010
    United States
    Wisconsin
    As far as SSD's go, you're probably looking at either a Samsung 850 EVO (512GB+ for best performance) or a Crucial M550 (256GB+ for best performance).
    Hard drive wise, anything Western Digital or HGST (formerly Hitachi) that's 7200RPM. Shop around for deals.

5. Magical Sheep

Jan 22, 2016
    United States
    The Metaverse
    Yup. Stuff like that and 3D Animation rendering aren't very nice to SSDs. When it comes to creating tons of small files, SSDs tend to slow down a bit, and it can cause some issues. HDDs are better with lots of small files, though they're drastically slower. For gaming and general stuffs, I recommend this SSD. I used one for a good while, and it was really nice.
    Video encoding isn't as bad as rendering something in a program like Maya, though it's best to have all rendered projects go to an HDD if possible.

VinsCool likes this.
  6. VinsCool
    OP

VinsCool Scrambled Mind

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-SSD-M...SATAIII-Internal-SSD-/161813094320?nav=SEARCH

So is this a good deal? Honestly they're less expensive than I though haha.

I might grab a 1TB model though, because I have a lot for files. Unless I stay on 512 and get some external storage lol.

What would be the best move, for the best value?

Also another question. Can SSDs be partitioned as well? I do plan to make a couple of partitions, for dual boot and organosation purpose.

7. Fishaman P

Fishaman P Speedrunner

Jan 2, 2010
    United States
    Wisconsin
    Also, make sure you look at your laptop's spec sheet and physical ports before you buy. With regular 2.5" SATA, mSATA, M.2, etc. there are lots of different connectors.

8. VinsCool
    OP

VinsCool Scrambled Mind

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    I'm pretty sure it's a 2.5 SATA. I guess it's writen somewhere on my laptop's box

9. Fishaman P

Fishaman P Speedrunner

Jan 2, 2010
    United States
    Wisconsin
    I've been keeping my eye on 512GB EVO's for a while now. Barely used ones usually end at around $100, if you wanna save some cash. (Though in my case, I only have an mSATA free, so that's harder to find)
    SSD's can be partitioned just like a normal HDD. Dual boot away

VinsCool likes this.
  10. Magical Sheep

Jan 22, 2016
    United States
    The Metaverse
    If you can afford it, go with the 1TB model. It'll save you some time keeping up with an external, which will also be much slower since it'll be going through USB and not SATA.
    I have no idea about the partitions though.
    EDIT: Read above. lol

VinsCool likes this.
  11. VinsCool
    OP

VinsCool Scrambled Mind

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    That sounds good to me :)
    Alrighty! Thanks guys for you help :P

So Samsung SSD, there I go!

Magical Sheep likes this.
  12. fiveighteen

fiveighteen High Hopes and Low Expectations

Jun 30, 2008
    United States
    I've been watching the Samsung EVO 850 and SanDisk SSD Plus as well, to replace my 1TB laptop HDD. If you can, wait for Black Friday. They will take a huge dive in price.

13. VinsCool
    OP

VinsCool Scrambled Mind

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    I would, but I need it now :P

14. FaTaL_ErRoR

FaTaL_ErRoR AKA ŦƕƎ ƠṀƐƝ

Mar 9, 2014
    United States
    Did you check the sectors on your old one? Or did you just try to copy and called it bad? You could have corrupted sectors on your drive instead of bad sectors. The corruption could be a result of anything really. And all that requires would be a total wipe of the drive.
    If I was you I would fully wipe and format the drive. Then I would run a sector check on the drive. It is likely there isn't anything wrong with your old drive at all except windows has marked sectors as bad because it has corrupted.
    Although a ssd is way faster than disk. So, I guess not all is bad. But, honestly I would check that drive out before replacing.
    And personally I don't care for ssd, have you seen the hybrid drives? Seagate has a pretty decent drive for not so much money.
    https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Gaming-2-5-Inch-Internal-ST1000LM014/dp/B00B99JUBQ

15. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    SSD are very high performance and are highly recommended for a laptop upgrade, but come at a price (albeit a much lower price than a few years ago).

SSHD give you the high capacity of a HDD with the bonus of SSD speed cache for your most frequently used files (I.e OS files) at a lower price point. They're considered the best conpromise of both worlds, but for non-frequently used files, they're no better than HDDs and suffer the same issues (laptops are prone to bumps and falls that could kill a HDD very quickly).

HDD are cheap and high capacity but slow. Some users like to call them spinning rust. You should avoid them for anything other than external drives or inside desktops where they are safe.

I stand by SSDs. They make everything feel snappy, loading much faster and less prone to hanging than HDDs. Yes, they lose performance when filling up and moving lots of small files, but it never falls below HDD performance.

TotalInsanity4 and VinsCool like this.
  16. Fishaman P

Fishaman P Speedrunner

Jan 2, 2010
    United States
    Wisconsin
    I've heard that won't be the case this year, due to NAND shortages.

VinsCool likes this.