Hardware Looking for a New Laptop HDD. Any recommendation?

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Hiya!

So following up my problem about my laptop's HDD, it's indeed showing failure. So I need a new one :P

What are you guys recommending me? HDD? SSD? What are the best brands and the best deals? I want to get something durable :) Price enters in consideration, but if I have to pay for quality, I will.

Magical Sheep

The Super Stylish Cat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would go with an SSD. I prefer the Samsung or Sandisk ones. They can get kinda pricey, but super fast. :D If you still want an HHD, go for something by Seagate. I have two of their HHDs in my PC right now, and they've been working just fine for years now. It really just depends on what you use the laptop for. If it's gaming or just general use, go with a mid-high capacity SSD. If you do lots of rendering, I would go with an HDD.

VinsCool

OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I would go with an SSD. I prefer the Samsung or Sandisk ones. They can get kinda pricey, but super fast. :D If you still want an HHD, go for something by Seagate. I have two of their HHDs in my PC right now, and they've been working just fine for years now. It really just depends on what you use the laptop for. If it's gaming or just general use, go with a mid-high capacity SSD. If you do lots of rendering, I would go with an HDD.
It's mostly general use and (sometimes) gaming. What do you mean by "rendering"? Video encoding?

Magical Sheep

The Super Stylish Cat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's mostly general use and (sometimes) gaming. What do you mean by "rendering"? Video encoding?
Yup. Stuff like that and 3D Animation rendering aren't very nice to SSDs. When it comes to creating tons of small files, SSDs tend to slow down a bit, and it can cause some issues. HDDs are better with lots of small files, though they're drastically slower. For gaming and general stuffs, I recommend this SSD. I used one for a good while, and it was really nice.
Video encoding isn't as bad as rendering something in a program like Maya, though it's best to have all rendered projects go to an HDD if possible.

Reactions: VinsCool

VinsCool

OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-SSD-M...SATAIII-Internal-SSD-/161813094320?nav=SEARCH

So is this a good deal? Honestly they're less expensive than I though haha.

I might grab a 1TB model though, because I have a lot for files. Unless I stay on 512 and get some external storage lol.

What would be the best move, for the best value?

Also another question. Can SSDs be partitioned as well? I do plan to make a couple of partitions, for dual boot and organosation purpose.

VinsCool

OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Also, make sure you look at your laptop's spec sheet and physical ports before you buy. With regular 2.5" SATA, mSATA, M.2, etc. there are lots of different connectors.
I'm pretty sure it's a 2.5 SATA. I guess it's writen somewhere on my laptop's box

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I've been keeping my eye on 512GB EVO's for a while now. Barely used ones usually end at around $100, if you wanna save some cash. (Though in my case, I only have an mSATA free, so that's harder to find)
SSD's can be partitioned just like a normal HDD. Dual boot away

Magical Sheep

The Super Stylish Cat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-SSD-M...SATAIII-Internal-SSD-/161813094320?nav=SEARCH

So is this a good deal? Honestly they're less expensive than I though haha.

I might grab a 1TB model though, because I have a lot for files. Unless I stay on 512 and get some external storage lol.

What would be the best move, for the best value?

Also another question. Can SSDs be partitioned as well? I do plan to make a couple of partitions, for dual boot and organosation purpose.
If you can afford it, go with the 1TB model. It'll save you some time keeping up with an external, which will also be much slower since it'll be going through USB and not SATA.
I have no idea about the partitions though.
EDIT: Read above. lol

VinsCool

OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I've been keeping my eye on 512GB EVO's for a while now. Barely used ones usually end at around $100, if you wanna save some cash. (Though in my case, I only have an mSATA free, so that's harder to find)
SSD's can be partitioned just like a normal HDD. Dual boot away
That sounds good to me :)
If you can afford it, go with the 1TB model. It'll save you some time keeping up with an external, which will also be much slower since it'll be going through USB and not SATA.
Alrighty! Thanks guys for you help :P

So Samsung SSD, there I go!

Reactions: Magical Sheep

fiveighteen

Distractible Dabbler
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been watching the Samsung EVO 850 and SanDisk SSD Plus as well, to replace my 1TB laptop HDD. If you can, wait for Black Friday. They will take a huge dive in price.

VinsCool

OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I've been watching the Samsung EVO 850 and SanDisk SSD Plus as well, to replace my 1TB laptop HDD. If you can, wait for Black Friday. They will take a huge dive in price.
I would, but I need it now :P

FaTaL_ErRoR

AKA ŦƕƎ ƠṀƐƝ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you check the sectors on your old one? Or did you just try to copy and called it bad? You could have corrupted sectors on your drive instead of bad sectors. The corruption could be a result of anything really. And all that requires would be a total wipe of the drive.
If I was you I would fully wipe and format the drive. Then I would run a sector check on the drive. It is likely there isn't anything wrong with your old drive at all except windows has marked sectors as bad because it has corrupted.
Although a ssd is way faster than disk. So, I guess not all is bad. But, honestly I would check that drive out before replacing.
And personally I don't care for ssd, have you seen the hybrid drives? Seagate has a pretty decent drive for not so much money.
https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Gaming-2-5-Inch-Internal-ST1000LM014/dp/B00B99JUBQ

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
SSD are very high performance and are highly recommended for a laptop upgrade, but come at a price (albeit a much lower price than a few years ago).

SSHD give you the high capacity of a HDD with the bonus of SSD speed cache for your most frequently used files (I.e OS files) at a lower price point. They're considered the best conpromise of both worlds, but for non-frequently used files, they're no better than HDDs and suffer the same issues (laptops are prone to bumps and falls that could kill a HDD very quickly).

HDD are cheap and high capacity but slow. Some users like to call them spinning rust. You should avoid them for anything other than external drives or inside desktops where they are safe.

I stand by SSDs. They make everything feel snappy, loading much faster and less prone to hanging than HDDs. Yes, they lose performance when filling up and moving lots of small files, but it never falls below HDD performance.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @realtimesave, explain the process