Looking for a ds flashcart for my friend, is there a diff between all of them?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Dvir, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Dvir
    OP

Dvir Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 3, 2016
    Iceland
    A friend of mine is a nintendo noob, i managed to get him to buy a 2ds which is being shipped as we speak and ill help him get lumacfw on it, he wants to play ds games since he never played any (or many) and honestly its a great idea since theres so many classics out there, my old ds is knackered from the amount of hrs i put into it. Anyway searched gbatemp and saw a few threads and about the ds flashcarts, but honestly whats the difference between em? before anyone says anything ill make sure he buys from nds-card.com. Thanks ppl.

2. Davidosky99

Davidosky99 Eevee :3

Banned
    Jun 7, 2015
    Porto
    Buy dstt if he's gonna use luma3ds, as it's the best one for using forwarders

3. SwaGoat

SwaGoat GBAtemp Regular

Dec 18, 2015
    Greece
    What I know,is that almost every ds flashcard is the same,but dstwo flashcard has build in emulators and such (which is mostly mentioned that the emulators are better than common emulators) , though I know it's more expensive and I don't really know how well it is to playing ds roms

Be careful though,
    at a specific firmware tons of ds flashards were blocked,and need some patches (.cia files) to be unblocked
    you probably know that,but I'm just saying that so you don't buy a flashcard that won't work with the 3ds.

(Sorry for calling the system 3ds instead of 2ds but I'm just used to it)
    But you really,need a second opinion,I don't know much,I just watched the thread and wanted to offer whatever assistance I could

4. Dvir
    OP

Dvir Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 3, 2016
    Iceland
    dont think theres a need for dstwo, he wanted the emulators for gba games etc and i told him he can just dl virtual console games, and showed him a list.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Im guessing forwarders are when you can put it on your main 3ds menu like some cia file and just boot it up when you want to?
    nvm, bothered to look it up and sweet. can the dstt play all games? i remembered back in the day my old ds lite w/ r4 wood or w/e it was w/ or w/o ysmenu couldnt play pkemon black 2 lets say, can this play all games?

Last edited by Dvir, Jul 15, 2016
  5. natkoden

natkoden Not a New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Argentina
    r4i gold/r4 sdhc RTS

For snes/gba is best to install them as CIAs (virtual console native or conversion)

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

6. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    A DSTT or an R4i-SDHC RTS (www.r4i-sdhc.com) flashcard will work with forwarders.

7. Olmectron

Olmectron GBAtemp Addict

Dec 31, 2012
    Mexico
    A game
    It works with Pokemon Black & White 2. It also works with DBZ Kai Ultimate Butouden, which I had problems running on older cards. Dragon Quest IX also works great. Not sure about other games.

8. Dvir
    OP

Dvir Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 3, 2016
    Iceland
    whats the biggest difference between em all? i mean can dstt play all the games that came out on ds? i mean the ones that needed special ap patches back in the day for some ap 2.5 or w/e, its 8$.
    Then theres the two r4's and the many clones, 14$ and 17$ on nds-card.com. Is the few $ difference between the cheapest and most expensive the rts and cheats i can use? thoguh im sure i can use ysmenu for cheats on dstt, and the diff between the 14-17$? is there any? and from what youve said i can use forwarders on the 13$ card not the 17$ gold one.

9. richardparker

richardparker GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 10, 2014
    India
    Swallowed up by the ocean!
    supercard dstwo +
    or even better,gateway :P

10. natkoden

natkoden Not a New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Argentina
    dont know about the DSTT but the R4I Gold and the R4 SDHC RTS can play all DS games with no problems.

11. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    DSTwo+ is a waste if you don't want to run it as a 3ds flashcart, and the gateway is also a waste when you can use CFW to install any game.
    And both of those have DS functionality, but you can get a DS mode flashcart for $20 if you want a good one.

I second the R4i Gold. Has a wonderful interface and works very well.
    The only other card I would think to recommend would be DSTwo, but I personally think most of the "extra" functionality it brings to the table is either not useful for me or can be done even better on 3ds through emulators or VC/VC Injection. At this point if OP is going to be installing CFW they only need a card with basic functionality (run games, cheat codes, homebrew, and maybe multimedia)

12. falls261

falls261 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2016
    United States
    I also suggest a R4i Gold. Works for all of the DS games I've tried.

TheCyberQuake likes this.
  13. Dvir
    OP

Dvir Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 3, 2016
    Iceland
    whoops, forgot that i opened this thread. My friend bought the r4i gold rts, the 17$ card in the end. Thank you all for your input. Have a great day

14. richardparker

richardparker GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 10, 2014
    India
    Swallowed up by the ocean!
    I was kidding