Homebrew Question Local play using a non hacked switch with hacked switch - ban?

Cencil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is there a risk of someone getting banned using their unhacked switch with their own copy of a game, having it communicate via local play with a hacked switch using a non legit version of the game?

Reactions: HinaNaru Cutie

Shoruk3n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am curious about this as well. Recently I played some Smash on my dirty switch with a friend on a clean switch. I'll report anything of interest if/when it happens.

RattletraPM

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Is there a risk of someone getting banned using their unhacked switch with their own copy of a game, having it communicate via local play with a hacked switch using a non legit version of the game?
No, there's no risk of ban if you're playing local multiplayer between a non-hacked and hacked switch with a non-legit game. I've done that a couple of times, both in local ad-hoc connection and LAN mode lan-play with other hacked switches and said unhacked Switch is still unbanned much later.

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The concern is the other way around. The question is does N have a method to pinpoint a dirty switch when it connects to a clean switch for LAN/ad hoc play.
Maybe I’m wrong about this but isn’t ad hoc play just for cfw users, if that’s the local play kip. Now lan play that’s a different thing no kip required.

radicalwookie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wondering how do you local play when you need to connect to wifi with both switches which leads to “the outer internet” (meaning it connects to Nintendos servers once it has online capabilities)? Does anyone understand what I mean?

Cencil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
stay offline and you'll be fine
In the example used above of someone bringing their "clean" switch to a local tournament / get together and having it unknowingly connect to a "dirty" switch hosting the game, I don't see how "stay offline" helps considering you need Wifi turned on for local play.

Shoruk3n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm a big dummy and misunderstood the OP. I still wonder though, will the clean switch send telemetry that it receives from the dirty switch (via LAN or ad hoc play) to N that identifies the dirty switch as hacked? If so, a dirty switch may be at further risk of ban for participating in ad hoc/LAN play.

Just wondering how do you local play when you need to connect to wifi with both switches which leads to “the outer internet” (meaning it connects to Nintendos servers once it has online capabilities)? Does anyone understand what I mean?

You can have a wireless LAN that does not have internet access. Connect two switches to it and they can communicate with each other but not the internet.

Alternatively, you could use ad hoc, which is a direct connection between 2-8 consoles and does not require a router or internet connection. If you and a friend were stranded in the desert with your switches, hundreds of miles from the nearest wifi, you could still play Smash together using ad hoc.

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In most cases, it should be fine. But I think a ban is still possible in extreme circumstances.

Say you have a clean switch and your friend has a hacked switch, you both play Pokemon Let's Go a lot. What you don't realize, is that your friend likes to edit his save and generate powerful Pokemon with stats that normally aren't obtainable in the game. He trades one of these Pokemon to you. You use that pokemon while battling online, Nintendo's servers see you playing with hacked stats, and bans your Switch.

I'm sure there are probably other games that can be affected in similar ways.

Assuming no save editing has been done though, you should be safe.

Cencil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I'm a big dummy and misunderstood the OP. I still wonder though, will the clean switch send telemetry that it receives from the dirty switch (via LAN or ad hoc play) to N that identifies the dirty switch as hacked? If so, a dirty switch may be at further risk of ban for participating in ad hoc/LAN play.

You can have a wireless LAN that does not have internet access. Connect two switches to it and they can communicate with each other but not the internet.

Alternatively, you could use ad hoc, which is a direct connection between 2-8 consoles and does not require a router or internet connection. If you and a friend were stranded in the desert with your switches, hundreds of miles from the nearest wifi, you could still play Smash together using ad hoc.
I don't think smash has ad-hoc, just local play which requires wifi.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.