lists of r4 clones and firmwares are good and all...

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by ferofax, Apr 23, 2011.

1. ferofax
    OP

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    ...but it does little to ease the confusion of someone with no idea how r4 works and how exactly to identify which set of firmwares, among the myriad of different versions, will work on what they have.

so here's my suggestion.

all those topic starters of r4 firmware lists/indexes, why not include a list of the files you'd expect to find for this certain version's firmware? or better yet, maybe a screenshot.

this way, people like me would just take a look at the list and compare the files and directories on our cards against those listed. if we see something with similarly named files and directories, it's a good bet that that particular firmware will work on our cards. it's just an assumption, but it's certainly feasible.

this way, people who are searching are spared the ordeal of downloading different versions with no apparent improvement. of course, it doesn't have to be for everything, even just the official firmwares should do.

it's just a pain trying to find which is which when it comes to r4. [​IMG]

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
  3. ferofax
    OP

Philippines
    not exactly what i was looking for but... hey, thanks anyways.

so yeah, lotsa different R4i Gold... with no way to know what each link/archive contains, might as well click em all.

4. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    That's as good as I've ever seen. The same hardware can go under different names, and sometimes different revisions of the same cart will change compatibility with third-party firmwares (like the M3i Zero GMP-003 or whatever that locked out alternate firmwares).

5. ferofax
    OP

Philippines
    hey, found the one i needed. turns out the different R4i Gold differs on its support website (r4dsi.cn, r4igold.com, etc...).

6. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    Hmm - I think I know what the OP is trying to say.
    I THINK he means that by looking at the files/folders on the memory card, we MIGHT be able to determine what R4 they may actually have

for example one R4 might have....:
    Code:
    _aio {folder}
    _rpg {folder}
    SYSTEM {folder}
    _DS_menu.DAT
    WOODR4.NDS
    while another R4 might have....
    Code:
    Moonshell {folder}
    mypicture {folder}
    R4 {folder}
    R4.dat
    while another might have....
    Code:
    moonshl2 {folder}
    skin {folder}
    system {folder}
    _DS_MENU
    _DS_MSHL.DS
    R4i.AU
    TTMENU.SYS
    If so - then in theory it WOULD help narrow down to what R4 clone they have (& based on the files shown may help give better suggestion to alternative OS to use), but IIRC many R4 clones have the same files/folders layout anyway

7. ferofax
    OP

Philippines
    yes, but at the time when i was looking for mine, i've no idea that they're all similar/just renamed/slightly edited versions. it was only after i found the firmware i want and started reading about R4 firmwares that i realized it, and that took some time and real effort on my part to try to remember the nuances of the version i use compared to the more common clones.

i guess it's just not that easy to use an R4 brand... too bad EDGE is getting beat in updates by R4. i loved that brand, served me well for more than two years.

8. Evo.lve

Member Evo.lve All that you could be.

Australia
    I think I understand what you're trying to say, and if I understand correctly, then this is my answer.

Anyone who has any interest whatsoever already knows how to identify the file structure of a cart and work out what it's a clone of.

Easier said than done, really.

Also, by downloading different versions with no improvement, you have three possibilities:

1. Use the latest version of the official firmware, cause, you know, latest = more fixes, less bugs, etc. unless of course you happen to use BatchDPG
    2. Use YSMenu
    3. You're a total noob who can't do shit

Get the idea?

Also, you don't need to match up firmware file structure to identify your cart. Cause, you know, it's kind of, uh, WRITTEN ON THE CART?