Hacking lists of r4 clones and firmwares are good and all...

ferofax

End of the World
OP
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
...but it does little to ease the confusion of someone with no idea how r4 works and how exactly to identify which set of firmwares, among the myriad of different versions, will work on what they have.

so here's my suggestion.

all those topic starters of r4 firmware lists/indexes, why not include a list of the files you'd expect to find for this certain version's firmware? or better yet, maybe a screenshot.

this way, people like me would just take a look at the list and compare the files and directories on our cards against those listed. if we see something with similarly named files and directories, it's a good bet that that particular firmware will work on our cards. it's just an assumption, but it's certainly feasible.

this way, people who are searching are spared the ordeal of downloading different versions with no apparent improvement. of course, it doesn't have to be for everything, even just the official firmwares should do.

it's just a pain trying to find which is which when it comes to r4.
frown.gif

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Hmm - I think I know what the OP is trying to say.
I THINK he means that by looking at the files/folders on the memory card, we MIGHT be able to determine what R4 they may actually have

for example one R4 might have....:
Code:
_aio {folder}
_rpg {folder}
SYSTEM {folder}
_DS_menu.DAT
WOODR4.NDS
while another R4 might have....
Code:
Moonshell {folder}
mypicture {folder}
R4 {folder}
R4.dat
while another might have....
Code:
moonshl2 {folder}
skin {folder}
system {folder}
_DS_MENU
_DS_MSHL.DS
R4i.AU
TTMENU.SYS
If so - then in theory it WOULD help narrow down to what R4 clone they have (& based on the files shown may help give better suggestion to alternative OS to use), but IIRC many R4 clones have the same files/folders layout anyway

ferofax

End of the World
OP
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
yes, but at the time when i was looking for mine, i've no idea that they're all similar/just renamed/slightly edited versions. it was only after i found the firmware i want and started reading about R4 firmwares that i realized it, and that took some time and real effort on my part to try to remember the nuances of the version i use compared to the more common clones.

i guess it's just not that easy to use an R4 brand... too bad EDGE is getting beat in updates by R4. i loved that brand, served me well for more than two years.

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think I understand what you're trying to say, and if I understand correctly, then this is my answer.

Anyone who has any interest whatsoever already knows how to identify the file structure of a cart and work out what it's a clone of.

Easier said than done, really.

Also, by downloading different versions with no improvement, you have three possibilities:

1. Use the latest version of the official firmware, cause, you know, latest = more fixes, less bugs, etc. unless of course you happen to use BatchDPG
2. Use YSMenu
3. You're a total noob who can't do shit

Get the idea?

Also, you don't need to match up firmware file structure to identify your cart. Cause, you know, it's kind of, uh, WRITTEN ON THE CART?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Just 6 but dual band 6 lol