List of The Most Innovative Takes on General Game Mechanics (Shopping, HUD, Stat Distribution, etc)?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 1,678
  • Replies 4

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Erm...while I'm all for the idea, I don't think a forum thread is the best medium to convey what you're trying to make. On a forum especially aimed at video game developers, perhaps, but even there I would opt more for a wiki.

Also...while I'm sure you mean well, I cannot really comprehend what you're saying. It probably makes a lot of sense if you've played shin megami tensei 2, but as someone who hasn't, all I get is "okay...so instead of just being able to buy/sell one item, it'd be great if we could buy/sell many at a time". I'm fairly sure I'm missing something, but I can't say what. :unsure:

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is that selling mechanic a particularly new one even back then? I could probably find a roguelike that had a three or four window setup that functionally did that (here is my inventory, drag to here to buy it, here is yours, drag to here to offer for sale, or a discard pile in the inventory) and had a stack of things for sale, don't know how early I would get for that with a category split but I would say it is an obvious paring.

"easily quantifiable (Time Saved over other shopping mechanics)"
Does that come at the cost of complexity though? Similarly is it the fault of too much complexity? Do I need elevnty billion functionally similar items in my game such that I need that?

Reactions: Deleted User

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So basically, you're wanting to talk about things like accessibility/functionality rather than engagement? As a general rule of thumb, the less clicks and less searching required to do a thing, the more accessible the design. Trick is to maximize/balance functionality with accessibility. too complex and you lose accessibility, too simple and you lose functionality. Xbox 1 OS is a good example of getting nearly everything wrong, while ps4/switch OS do it better.

Kind of lost me on the item thing as well, though I've never played the game. Images comparing a "standard" and a "better" idea would go a long way. Though as a text-based forum, probably not the best medium to do it. I'm all for the idea though, just got to figure out how to design it.

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

OP
"easily quantifiable (Time Saved over other shopping mechanics)"
Does that come at the cost of complexity though? Similarly is it the fault of too much complexity? Do I need elevnty billion functionally similar items in my game such that I need that?

Surprisingly, the process was no more complicated than buying items in pokemon "Talk to Store Clerk>Click Buy or Sell>Scroll down list of items and change quantities of each item you wish to buy or sell on the right side of the screen"

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So basically, you're wanting to talk about things like accessibility/functionality rather than engagement? As a general rule of thumb, the less clicks and less searching required to do a thing, the more accessible the design. Trick is to maximize/balance functionality with accessibility. too complex and you lose accessibility, too simple and you lose functionality. Xbox 1 OS is a good example of getting nearly everything wrong, while ps4/switch OS do it better.

Kind of lost me on the item thing as well, though I've never played the game. Images comparing a "standard" and a "better" idea would go a long way. Though as a text-based forum, probably not the best medium to do it. I'm all for the idea though, just got to figure out how to design it.

I apologize for not adding images, the process of the aforementioned shopping mechanic really is as simple as I have described it in my response to FAST6191; Although, I acknowledge I could have done more to improve the readability by utilizing visuals to convey these types of processes more clearly as you and others have mentioned and I am grateful for that feedback. In the end I am only one person and I practically will never play every game that has existed or will exist (not even RPGs and I have played A LOT of RPGs), so definitely having more people to contribute to the list and refine other's submissions would be essential to creating this resource; Someone mentioned this may work better as a Wiki Page, I think that makes the most sense as well, so I will look into that and hope the idea will take.

Reactions: osaka35

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    in that case, there is no such thing as homebrew launcher for aroma
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    you have to launch your homebrews directly from the wii u menu
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    there is a plugin that display them on the wii u menu, pretty sure it is enabled by default
  • crafthp434 @ crafthp434:
    so like it doesnt exist
    yeah
    ?
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    it doesn't exist, at least not for aroma
    ohhhhh
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    on tiramisu you can access it by opening mii maker
    okay
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I don't have a wii u anymore to test it myself, but if homebrews are not visible on the wii u menu I think you can press L + R + minus to open the plugin menu, there should be an option called "homebrews on wii u menu" or something similar
    nope
    it is L+dpad down+ select
    but homebrew is appearing in the home menu btw
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    yes, now I remember it
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    then it is working, I also don't like that they did this but it is the only option you have if you are using aroma
    i just didint know the homebrew launcher didint exist in aroma
    thanks btw
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Im downloading fallout 3 goty edition
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm downloading more ram for my hamster pc
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    New hamster PC, with anal operation and BT connectivity!
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, How do I make enemies respawn on gdevelop after
    the player dies?
    Carrying a PC or phone is so old school!
    Squeeze your cheeks twice to answer calls!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty you can use a "spawner" function on any object.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: @Xdqwerty you can use a "spawner" function on any object.