Gaming List of games ported to the DS

winnerct

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been searching the internet for the last hour and couldn't find a lit of games that have been ported to the DS. Is there one that exists? Homebrew or commercial? Remakes are fine too if they are essentially the same game. Here are some that I know:

Anno 1602(PC) - Anno 1701: Dawn of Discovery
Settlers II(PC) - The Settlers
Theme Park(PC/Genesis) - Theme Park
Mario 64(N64) - Mario 64 DS
ChronoTrigger(SNES) - ChronoTrigger

I can't believe a list doesn't already exist somewhere...

Snappo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rayman DS
Final Fantasy 3 and Final Fantasy 4
Resident Evil Deadly Silence
Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
tattar8 said:
Depravo said:
winnerct said:
Remakes are fine too if they are essentially the same game.
All the main Pokemon games on the DS. They're all essentially remakes of the original Red/Blue.
Not D/P/PT. HG/SS qualify, however.
At the start of the game a Pokemon authority gives you the choice of three pokemon. After choosing one your friend/rival chooses the opposing Pokemon. You then travel from town to town collecting and training Pokemon along the way, occasionally battling with your friend/rival and getting involved in inconsequential sub-plots. Most of the towns have a Pokemon Gym where you have to defeat the Gym Leader to progress through learning techniques from HM's. Defeating the eight Gym Leaders earns you the right to challenge the Elite Four. Having defeated them you have completed the game.

So... exactly which version of Pokemon did I just describe?

P.S. The first three Phoenix Wright games are remakes.

nitrostemp

Trophies
XP
Country
Depravo said:
tattar8 said:
Depravo said:
winnerct said:
All the main Pokemon games on the DS. They're all essentially remakes of the original Red/Blue.
At the start of the game a Pokemon authority gives you the choice of three pokemon. After choosing one your friend/rival chooses the opposing Pokemon. You then travel from town to town collecting and training Pokemon along the way, occasionally battling with your friend/rival and getting involved in inconsequential sub-plots. Most of the towns have a Pokemon Gym where you have to defeat the Gym Leader to progress through learning techniques from HM's. Defeating the eight Gym Leaders earns you the right to challenge the Elite Four. Having defeated them you have completed the game.

sadly you didn't say which region, that is what makes each game unique

Bently

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
evolance7 said:
Bently said:
Does Resident Evil Deadly Silence count as a re-enhanced version or port?

The DS version of residen evil had added gameplay to it, else it is still the same as its original version.

But ultimately you could pick which mode you play, the Enhanced or Classic mode.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Depravo said:
winnerct said:
Well if we're going that far, I have many more to add to the list.

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
Advance Wars: Dual Strike
Age of Empires: Mythologies
Age of Empires: The Age of Kings
Animal Crossing: Wild World
Assassin's Creed: Altaïr's Chronicles

And that's just the A's.

Suddenly the same logic applied to a different scenario seems crazy, doesn't it.

winnerct

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think a lot of these games are more of sequels that have their prequels on another system.

I would consider a port to be The Settlers which is nearly identical to The Settlers II (for PC)
A remake would be Pokemon Fire Red, which is the same game but with updated graphics.

Noone knows of a list of games ported to the DS though?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
winnerct said:
Noone knows of a list of games ported to the DS though?
No, very very few have actually been ported, most have been remade instead of just "enhanced", to take advantage of the newer features of the DS, and so people don't feel ripped off paying for something that they might as well just emulate.

Kirby Super Star Ultra, I forgot.

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Rydian said:
Depravo said:
winnerct said:
Well if we're going that far, I have many more to add to the list.

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
Advance Wars: Dual Strike
Age of Empires: Mythologies
Age of Empires: The Age of Kings
Animal Crossing: Wild World
Assassin's Creed: Altaïr's Chronicles

And that's just the A's.

Suddenly the same logic applied to a different scenario seems crazy, doesn't it.
I would argue that the difference between a remake and an original game is one of plot. If the game in question has a different plot (or continuation of the original plot) then that would count as a new game. However, if the game retells the same plot but with added towns and special moves then it's a remake. Out of the above I would only consider Animal Crossing to be a remake.

Pokemon follows the same plot time and time again. Not that Pokemon is a bad game. I'm quite fond of the Pokemon franchise but I consider each new iteration to be a remake rather than an entirely new game.

nitrostemp

Trophies
XP
Country
well at least the anime isn't too generic except for the rocket ganes getting blasted into the sky and Sonans poping out and saying Sonansuuu~

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
If a game involves the same sort of plot, but involves different characters and entirely different areas, it's not a remake of an older game.

For example, kirby's squeak squad isn't a remake of kirby and the amazing mirror, is it? It contains almost the exact same art style (even within kirby games!), the same type of action-platforming, the same game mechanics, has a few new special moves... but it's not a remake of an older game.

He's asking for remakes.

D

Deleted-236924

Depravo said:
tattar8 said:
Depravo said:
winnerct said:

Sadly, you didn't describe any.
Every generation has at least some stuff to do after the Elite Four.

In R/G/B/Y, you can go and catch Mewtwo then complete the Pokédex.
In G/S/C, you can go to Kanto, get the 8 badges there, then battle Red at Mt. Silver. You can then complete the Pokédex.
In R/S/E, you can go to the Battle Tower/Battle Frontier, catch two more legendary Pokémon, finish the contests and complete the Pokédex.
In FR/LG, you can visit the Sevii Islands, catch many other Pokémon, fight the upgraded Elite Four then complete the Pokédex (Oh, and catch Mewtwo, too.)
In D/P/Pt, you can visit the entire Battle Island, catch HEAPS of legendary Pokémon, use the Pokéradar, use the Pal Park, finish the contests and complete the Pokédex.
In HG/SS, once more you have more legendaries to catch, the whole Pokéathlon to finish, many non-Johto Pokémon hidden everywhere, Safari Zone, Pal Park and complete the Pokédex.

I might have missed some stuff, though.

asdf

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Gyakuten Saiban on GBA)
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Justice for All (Gyakuten Saiban 2 on GBA)
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations (Gyakuten Saiban 3 on GBA)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had that i don't think