Hacking List of all Gateway questions (9.2.0-20)

keubibo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Because you are sysNand 4.5, I am assuming that means you have an Old 3DS. If you have a New 3DS, then only emuNand up to 9.5 is supported.

Before you do anything, use EmuNand Tool to back up your emuNand partition, just in case anything goes wrong.
Download the Gateway 3.2.1 Launcher.
Put the Launcher.dat file onto your system SD card.
Boot your emuNand, go into System Settings, verify that it is in GW Mode and that you are running your emuNand, and then select "System Update".

That's it, your emuNand will be updated to 9.7. If it doesn't work for any reason, use emuNand tool to restore your backup, and you won't have lost anything.
Thanks for your help, i updated my emunand to 9.8 with GW ver 3.2.2 :D

Desucake

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi All,

I'm wondering what's going on with my gateway card now. I had previous issues with my microsd card not having great contact with the cartridge but that was solved by increasing said contact via sticking a piece of paper with the microsd card.

Now, while I can get into gateway mode without any issues, in the menu where I should be able to click the gateway icon and then pick out a game (so the 3ds main menu), nothing appears on that tile. I ran the diagnostics from the gateway menu and it didn't show anything remarkable so I can assume that the cartridge is indeed able to read the microsd card. I also checked if it was a cartridge to 3ds issue however unlikely and that was not the case.

Has this occurred to anyone before? I'm stumped here. Thanks!

genericuser

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi All,

I'm wondering what's going on with my gateway card now. I had previous issues with my microsd card not having great contact with the cartridge but that was solved by increasing said contact via sticking a piece of paper with the microsd card.

Now, while I can get into gateway mode without any issues, in the menu where I should be able to click the gateway icon and then pick out a game (so the 3ds main menu), nothing appears on that tile. I ran the diagnostics from the gateway menu and it didn't show anything remarkable so I can assume that the cartridge is indeed able to read the microsd card. I also checked if it was a cartridge to 3ds issue however unlikely and that was not the case.

Has this occurred to anyone before? I'm stumped here. Thanks!
Have you updated the gateway launcher to the latest version?

genericuser

Trophies
XP
Country
I haven't yet and I will now, thanks for your help. However, I did solve my problem. I jumped the gun posting my question, I forgot that we just click select to open up the multi-rom manager (been using CIAs since I got my gateway). Totally my mistake, sorry.

No problem :)

Eski

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone,

I left my regular 3DS (on 9.2.0-20U) alone for about three months. It was working just fine with Gateway before but now I'm having trouble getting the Gateway Menu to boot. I try to go on http://go.gateway-3ds.com and the bottom screen does say that "Gateway 3DS Loading". However, the progress bar doesn't grow and I'm eventually thrown back to the home screen saying that "An Error has Occurred".

Now I assumed that it was because I wasn't on the latest version anymore, so I slapped on the latest Launcher.dat onto my SD card and jammed it into my 3DS however the same problem arose. I tried deleted my cookies, but the same thing happens.

I'm probably being stupid, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: For the record, I have also tried http://go.scmods.com but the Browser tells me there's a "Communication Error" and I get a white screen. I have also tried a different card that was formatted that only had the Launcher.dat on it. Still nothing.

Last edited by Eski,

Cherrysa

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a 3DS to that version9.4.0-21.

I know that 9.3... and 9.5... aren't compatible with Gateway 3ds, but what about 9.4?

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone,

I left my regular 3DS (on 9.2.0-20U) alone for about three months. It was working just fine with Gateway before but now I'm having trouble getting the Gateway Menu to boot. I try to go on http://go.gateway-3ds.com and the bottom screen does say that "Gateway 3DS Loading". However, the progress bar doesn't grow and I'm eventually thrown back to the home screen saying that "An Error has Occurred".

Now I assumed that it was because I wasn't on the latest version anymore, so I slapped on the latest Launcher.dat onto my SD card and jammed it into my 3DS however the same problem arose. I tried deleted my cookies, but the same thing happens.

I'm probably being stupid, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: For the record, I have also tried http://go.scmods.com but the Browser tells me there's a "Communication Error" and I get a white screen. I have also tried a different card that was formatted that only had the Launcher.dat on it. Still nothing.
I get "An error has occurred" every time unless I delete cookies and delete history. I never tried using the scmods site, just the Gateway one, though. If clearing cookies and history doesn't work (I usually turn off the wireless switch before starting the browser, clear the two, exit the menu back to the browser, turn on the switch, then use the bookmark to go to the site), I'm not sure what else to suggest, unfortunately.

I have a 3DS to that version9.4.0-21.

I know that 9.3... and 9.5... aren't compatible with Gateway 3ds, but what about 9.4?
9.2 is the latest exploitable System Version. 9.4 will not be compatible with Gateway. Sky3DS will still work, since it operates in a different manner.

Cherrysa

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I get "An error has occurred" every time unless I delete cookies and delete history. I never tried using the scmods site, just the Gateway one, though. If clearing cookies and history doesn't work (I usually turn off the wireless switch before starting the browser, clear the two, exit the menu back to the browser, turn on the switch, then use the bookmark to go to the site), I'm not sure what else to suggest, unfortunately.

9.2 is the latest exploitable System Version. 9.4 will not be compatible with Gateway. Sky3DS will still work, since it operates in a different manner.
Thanks a lot for the answer. Maybe my ensligh, but when you say will not be compatible, do you mean for now or never?

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks a lot for the answer. Maybe my ensligh, but when you say will not be compatible, do you mean for now or never?
It is impossible to know when a new exploit will be released. It may happen soon, it may take years, it may never happen. Finding an exploit is a combination of both luck and hard work. Even when one is found, it will take time to develop and understand, and the group that finds it will not give any information until it's ready for release, to prevent Nintendo from closing it off early.

You may choose to avoid updating in the hope something will be released, but I wouldn't expect a new exploit to be released soon. It seems more likely to me that the next breakthrough will either be a bug in a future version, or a bug in a software title like Cubic Ninja.

genericuser

Trophies
XP
Country

The only thing I can add to that is maybe try the gateway card in another 3ds.

Killer_Nads

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Again Guys,

Sorry i was away for last two weeks on holiday in USA.

Anyway, i think I've finally managed to get everything i need to get started.

My Gateway 3ds card should be arriving today.
I already got my New N3DS XL on 9.2 firmware.
32GB memory card.
Cubic Ninja copy arrived also.

Now i just need help with instructions to get this working.

Please can someone link me to a detailed youtube video or website instructions with images for a full walkthrough?

Im worried that i may mess something up!

Thanks

genericuser

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Again Guys,

Sorry i was away for last two weeks on holiday in USA.

Anyway, i think I've finally managed to get everything i need to get started.

My Gateway 3ds card should be arriving today.
I already got my New N3DS XL on 9.2 firmware.
32GB memory card.
Cubic Ninja copy arrived also.

Now i just need help with instructions to get this working.

Please can someone link me to a detailed youtube video or website instructions with images for a full walkthrough?

Im worried that i may mess something up!

Thanks

Official gateway manual. The most important thing is to backup your sysnand first of all.

Reactions: Killer_Nads

Eski

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the suggestions. I tried using a random Gateway Mirror I found and that worked for me. I guess it was just being finicky, that's all.

Thanks again!

Reactions: genericuser

Pecrow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all, I've been looking everywhere for an answer but I have not found it (not sure if it is too obvious) but I wanted to ask here before making a new post
(Noob Section - i'manoob)

--Background--
So I tested my luck in buying a random New 3ds XL off of eBay and it came with 9.0.0 s/n QW1029.. (Hurrah !!!) (Updated to 9.2 to play my SSB game) So I ordered a 128gb evo ($25 on eBay) and a Gateway card, (which is on the way) But since on the new 3ds xl latest version for emuNand is 9.5(working) I have a few questions.

--Question--
1. Will I be able to play online (.3dz w/ my own header) on emunand 9.5?

2. I see that on PastaCFW you can install/spoof the eshop (PastaCFW ONLY) is this a method to allow online play or only access eshop - any similar method on gateway?
I really don't care for the eshop access, but I do not know if it conflicts with playing online games - or if one needs the other.

3. I have a store-bought Smash cartridge, I already downloaded the Smash Bros 1.0.8 update cia file as well as the DLC cia file (Yeah.. not paying 30$ for 3 new characters when the entire game was that much) ...anyways, If I dump my own SSB game and move it over to my gateway card, then on emunand 9.5
I install the SSB update CIA then the DLC CIA file, will I then be able to play SSB online? or still will not be able to since I am on a non-latest emuNand version?

Not sure if these are simple questions or not. Thank you in advance for the help.

Kracken

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Searched the OP, this one might be good to include since I am having trouble finding a concise answer.

How can I use wifi in emunand safely?

From what I have read emunand will write to sysnand settings as well, so you have to reboot and delete the internet settings is sysnand and then go back into emunand. At this point it should be safe? Or will emunand look for updates and then give you an update nag or is this not an issue at all in emunand?

I haven't used my 3DS/N3DS much or at all really online so I am unsure of the correct answer to this.

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Searched the OP, this one might be good to include since I am having trouble finding a concise answer.

How can I use wifi in emunand safely?

From what I have read emunand will write to sysnand settings as well, so you have to reboot and delete the internet settings is sysnand and then go back into emunand. At this point it should be safe? Or will emunand look for updates and then give you an update nag or is this not an issue at all in emunand?

I haven't used my 3DS/N3DS much or at all really online so I am unsure of the correct answer to this.
As far as I can tell, emuNand and sysNand will not write to each others' wifi settings. I didn't really experiment before unlinking them, but I have changed my emuNand's settings without having sysNand's affected. (I can't test further at the moment, my 3DS is still kinda all over place, until I get a replacement part some time this month.)

EmuNand will still look for updates, if it is in sleep mode and has a wifi connection, including SpotPass access points. A downloaded update will be stored in emuNand's memory, so emuNand will nag you about updating. If you are using an Old 3DS, System Version 9.8 is supported in emuNand, so it's not a major issue. For New 3DS, only 9.5 and below are supported. You can back up your emuNand so that you can restore it if you get the update nag or accidentally update, or live with the nag appearing about once a day. You can also turn off wifi before putting the system to sleep, only turning it on when you want to go online with it, but that would interfere with StreetPass/SpotPass. With a bit of work, you can block Nintendo's update servers, so you can have wifi on at home and it can't see the update, but you can still get the update (and nag) from other networks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Arne214 @ Arne214: ah ok