Hacking List of all Gateway questions (9.2.0-20)

mk.2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Please can you recommend me which one to buy out of the following 2. Please respond quick so that i can order asap and hopefully receive it in time:

SanDisk Ultra microSDXC UHS I 64GB Class 10 up to 30MBs read speed:
http://www.memorybits.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=28979

SanDisk 64GB Ultra microSDXC plus SD Adapter (Class 10 | UHS-I | 48MB/s):
http://www.memorybits.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=28252

or if i should get a different one altogether instead?

Thanks
Even though, I don't think higher speed card would improve ROM load time, you should buy the faster one. It's only £1.5 difference.
A microSD card last quite a long time (I have one from 2009 that still works). In case you might one day want to use a fast card for HD recording or something.

Anyway, a guy did a test on class4 and class10 cards, and the difference in load time is only 0.2 second.

Reactions: Killer_Nads

Killer_Nads

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Even though, I don't think higher speed card would improve ROM load time, you should buy the faster one. It's only £1.5 difference.
A microSD card last quite a long time (I have one from 2009 that still works). In case you might one day want to use a fast card for HD recording or something.

Anyway, a guy did a test on class4 and class10 cards, and the difference in load time is only 0.2 second.

Ok thank you i will go for the second one then, I was a bit weary of that one cause it said on the website that not all devices will support this card. It was confusing as it seemed exactly the same as the first one but just faster and a slightly different physical look (red and black).

Oh one other thing, do i just need 1 microSD card to make Gateway work with a brand new 3DS XL? Or do you need one card for the gateway and another card for the 3DS also (to store the games and .cia files)?

mk.2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh one other thing, do i just need 1 microSD card to make Gateway work with a brand new 3DS XL? Or do you need one card for the gateway and another card for the 3DS also (to store the games and .cia files)?
That really depend whether you want to install games as CIA.

If you don't, the 4GB card that came with N3DS is enough for setting up emuNAND and play ROMs from Gateway Red Card.
For N3DS, Gateway would only need ~2GB for emuNAND partition. So, you still have ~2GB left for save files and update files.

Killer_Nads

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ok thank you.

Now that I've got that ordered and out of the way along with my Gateway card which should arrive soon. What else do i need?

People have mentioned that Cubic Ninja or Ocarina of Time might be needed? Can someone please explain why? or if at all i would need them?

As mentioned before I'm going to have a New 3DS XL Black with firmware 9.0 PAL system, and all i want to do is play 3DS and E-store backup games offline using the gateway red card (i guess).

I was looking at the two guides here, and non of them mention a Cubic ninja or OoT being needed? Also if someone could please tell me which of the two guides is more up to date and going to work on my 3DS:

http://3ds-flashcard.com/blog/how-to-setup-use-the-gateway-ultra-3-0-firmware-for-3ds-games/

http://3ds-flashcard.com/blog/gateway-ultra-3-2-1-for-new-3ds3ds2ds-firmware-up-to-9-2-guide/

Thank you.

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok thank you.

Now that I've got that ordered and out of the way along with my Gateway card which should arrive soon. What else do i need?

People have mentioned that Cubic Ninja or Ocarina of Time might be needed? Can someone please explain why? or if at all i would need them?

As mentioned before I'm going to have a New 3DS XL Black with firmware 9.0 PAL system, and all i want to do is play 3DS and E-store backup games offline using the gateway red card (i guess).

I was looking at the two guides here, and non of them mention a Cubic ninja or OoT being needed? Also if someone could please tell me which of the two guides is more up to date and going to work on my 3DS:

http://3ds-flashcard.com/blog/how-to-setup-use-the-gateway-ultra-3-0-firmware-for-3ds-games/

http://3ds-flashcard.com/blog/gateway-ultra-3-2-1-for-new-3ds3ds2ds-firmware-up-to-9-2-guide/

Thank you.
The guides seem to be sections of Gateway's manual copied and pasted, but I think the browser exploit only applies to the Old 3DS. The second guide completely fails to mention installing mset.cia, which is part of the DS Profile exploit.

Cubic Ninja and Zelda: OoT both contain bugs that allow access to the system's internals. Since the system itself didn't have such a bug, you will need one of those two games to perform the initial setup. Once you use one of those two games to get in, you can install the mset.cia file provided by Gateway for your region. This is an older version of the System Settings app, which contains a useable bug allowing you to reach the Gateway launcher without CN/Zelda. The official instructions on Gateway's site neglect to explain that you need to install mset.cia and bluecardfix.cia into sysNand instead of emuNand, which causes problems for some people.

Your basic steps are going to be:
- Use CN/Zelda to reach the Launcher
- From the menu, you'll want to back up the sysNand, copy that NAND.BIN to a safe spot on your computer, as well as anything else on your SD card
- From the menu, select "Setup EmuNand". This will format the SD card, and make a 1-2 GB partition to hold your emuNand.
- Copy the contents of the SD card back onto the card, as well as mset.cia and bluecardfix.cia
- Enter the Launcher menu again, select "Install NVRAM" to install the NVRAM Profile used by the DS Profile Exploit. (Doing it now saves a step of installing it later.)
- Select "Boot Gateway SysNand Mode" (by holding B when highlighting "Boot Gateway Mode", then pressing A while holding B).
- Use DevMenu.3ds to install the two .cia files.
You can now use System Settings > Profile > Nintendo DS Profile to reach the Launcher and boot into Gateway Mode. You can also use the blue card that comes with the Gateway to reinstall the NVRAM Profile as needed (which is usually needed any time you run DS mode software, such as flash cards, retail cards, DSiWare, etc) without needing CN/Zelda to get back to the menu. You can also perform a system format on sysNand to unlink the two Nands if you want.

You'll want to read more guides that go more in-depth into the procedure, but hopefully having a basic outline will help the guides be more understandable. If you still have questions, feel free to ask.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok thank you.

Thank you.
Everything Typhin said. I also want to add CN is a much more versital tool than Oot. So get that unless there is a huge price difference. Amazon usually sells it for close to market value.

Killer_Nads

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Everything Typhin said. I also want to add CN is a much more versital tool than Oot. So get that unless there is a huge price difference. Amazon usually sells it for close to market value.

I already own OoT, so can i just use that instead? or would you recommend me to buy CN? Is there a huge difference between the two? Why would i need CN when i already have OOT?

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I already own OoT, so can i just use that instead? or would you recommend me to buy CN? Is there a huge difference between the two? Why would i need CN when i already have OOT?
Cubic Ninja can be used to run Ninjhax, an exploit allowing for various other things to be run. If you have OoT, you can use that for Gateway, and you do not need Cubic Ninja. You will need a way to load the save file onto the OoT card, either someone else with a Gateway or a save dongle like Powersaves, I think.

.Den

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
What firmware should a New 3DS be to be able to use Gateway? Does the 9.2.0 criterion apply as well?
If so, any idea which version is currently installed on JP devices sold by the Japanese Amazon?
Thank you!

Killer_Nads

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
OK guys, i have one very important question.

My New 3DS is arriving today, 64gb memory card, zelda oot (i already had). So i have everything now apart from the Gateway card :( It has been ordered from UK distributer for Gateway/Sky3ds cards but there customer service is the crappest i have ever seen! In one word lets just say its TERRIBLE :D

Anyway, i have no idea when it will arrive, but probably will be next week or so.

-----------------------

Anyway for the important question i had, I'm flying away on holiday tomorrow to usa for 2 weeks. Obviously as my flashcard hasn't arrived i can't do what i wanted and get all the games i wanted for my flight.

However, can i continue to play the normal cartridge games i have at home on my New old firmware 3DS without affecting the consoles firmware? Such as OOT, Fire Emblem, Mario Land etc.... or is it too risky and one of the games may update it?

Lastly, where are 3DS save files saved? Obviously, I'm going to be migrating from my shoddy old 3ds to the new one. Are all my save files on the old 3ds memory card or on the game cartridges? How can i safely transfer them to the new 3DS again protecting it from a firmware update? Im thinking of just having the WIFI switch disabled on the new 3DS.

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK guys, i have one very important question.

My New 3DS is arriving today, 64gb memory card, zelda oot (i already had). So i have everything now apart from the Gateway card :( It has been ordered from UK distributer for Gateway/Sky3ds cards but there customer service is the crappest i have ever seen! In one word lets just say its TERRIBLE :D

Anyway, i have no idea when it will arrive, but probably will be next week or so.

-----------------------

Anyway for the important question i had, I'm flying away on holiday tomorrow to usa for 2 weeks. Obviously as my flashcard hasn't arrived i can't do what i wanted and get all the games i wanted for my flight.

However, can i continue to play the normal cartridge games i have at home on my New old firmware 3DS without affecting the consoles firmware? Such as OOT, Fire Emblem, Mario Land etc.... or is it too risky and one of the games may update it?

Lastly, where are 3DS save files saved? Obviously, I'm going to be migrating from my shoddy old 3ds to the new one. Are all my save files on the old 3ds memory card or on the game cartridges? How can i safely transfer them to the new 3DS again protecting it from a firmware update? Im thinking of just having the WIFI switch disabled on the new 3DS.
Any game that has a firmware update will ask you before applying it. When you try to play it, it will pop up a message that says "A system update is required to use this software. Update to Ver. [number]?" As long as you don't accept, you should be fine, but you won't be able to play that particular game. http://3ds.essh.co/ has a list of games and details what firmware version each one has.

I think there's only one or two retail cards that save their data to the system SD card, though some may store extra data on the system card. Everything else is stored on the card itself, either in a spot of flash memory (Card 1 type) or in the same memory that holds the rom (Card 2 type).

.Den

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
According to Gateway Manual, the current version support New 3DS on a firmware version between 8.x and 9.2.
Thank you. And any idea how to determine which version do the Amazon Japan systems come with? Well, I can easily buy a used unit in Japan for cheap, but I'd like to get a new unit if possible.

Killer_Nads

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Any game that has a firmware update will ask you before applying it. When you try to play it, it will pop up a message that says "A system update is required to use this software. Update to Ver. [number]?" As long as you don't accept, you should be fine, but you won't be able to play that particular game. http://3ds.essh.co/ has a list of games and details what firmware version each one has.

I think there's only one or two retail cards that save their data to the system SD card, though some may store extra data on the system card. Everything else is stored on the card itself, either in a spot of flash memory (Card 1 type) or in the same memory that holds the rom (Card 2 type).

Excellent thank you. All the games i have are way below. Highest is 4.5 firmware :D Tells you how much I've touched my old 3DS over the last few years :)

Good thing about the save file, i should just be able to continue my games then on my new 3DS by using the same cartridges and won't have to do anything else!

Why do people need to go through a transfer process though? Ive seen in past where they have to transfer there whole 3DS to the new one? Is that just for settings etc...

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Excellent thank you. All the games i have are way below. Highest is 4.5 firmware :D Tells you how much I've touched my old 3DS over the last few years :)

Good thing about the save file, i should just be able to continue my games then on my new 3DS by using the same cartridges and won't have to do anything else!

Why do people need to go through a transfer process though? Ive seen in past where they have to transfer there whole 3DS to the new one? Is that just for settings etc...
Eshop games mostly but also mii verse, spot pass stuff as well.

Killer_Nads

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Eshop games mostly but also mii verse, spot pass stuff as well.

Thank you.Im sure I've got a few games purchased on e-shop. Does that i mean i have to do a transfer also from original 3DS? Also can i not just re-download them?

One other thing, if i do a transfer will it need to update my new 3ds to latest firmware?

Killer_Nads

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
One other thing someone just told is is that for OOT to work with setting up Gateway i need to have another hacked 3DS (to transfer a save file over or something on the OOT cart)??? in addition to my new one on 9.0 firmware! Is this true?

Obviously this isn't an option for me if its true, in this case can i buy CN and use that instead without having the need of an additional 3ds?

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you.Im sure I've got a few games purchased on e-shop. Does that i mean i have to do a transfer also from original 3DS? Also can i not just re-download them?

One other thing, if i do a transfer will it need to update my new 3ds to latest firmware?

I think you can redo load the game but the save will be gone.

There is a spoof method to transfer without upgrading but requires CN I think and the there are other limitations. The thread is always on the first few pages.

Yes, get CN it is very useful.

keubibo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi everybody, i have 3DS sysnand fw 4.5, gateways ver 3.0.4 and my emunand fw 9.0.0-20E, can i update my emunand to the newest filmware now ? and how can i do it ? i'm so confusing, thank you...

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everybody, i have 3DS sysnand fw 4.5, gateways ver 3.0.4 and my emunand fw 9.0.0-20E, can i update my emunand to the newest filmware now ? and how can i do it ? i'm so confusing, thank you...
Because you are sysNand 4.5, I am assuming that means you have an Old 3DS. If you have a New 3DS, then only emuNand up to 9.5 is supported.

Before you do anything, use EmuNand Tool to back up your emuNand partition, just in case anything goes wrong.
Download the Gateway 3.2.1 Launcher.
Put the Launcher.dat file onto your system SD card.
Boot your emuNand, go into System Settings, verify that it is in GW Mode and that you are running your emuNand, and then select "System Update".

That's it, your emuNand will be updated to 9.7. If it doesn't work for any reason, use emuNand tool to restore your backup, and you won't have lost anything.

Reactions: keubibo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired +1