Hacking List of all Gateway questions (9.2.0-20)

Goofy Time

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, figure I'd ask you guys if I can update the system, or if what I have is good enough. I bought the Gateway in December of last year, and originally updated it earlier this year so it could run on more current platforms. Since then, I imagine the system got a few firmware updates and even a few Gateway updates, and I wanted to know on what would be best to update the card with. Can I just do the wifi update to the card? Do I have to update the card before that?

System firmware is 9.2.0-20U and my Gateway firmware is GW3D 9.4.0-21U. I think my Gateway card is on the 3.0.1 beta. Should that be updated?

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, figure I'd ask you guys if I can update the system, or if what I have is good enough. I bought the Gateway in December of last year, and originally updated it earlier this year so it could run on more current platforms. Since then, I imagine the system got a few firmware updates and even a few Gateway updates, and I wanted to know on what would be best to update the card with. Can I just do the wifi update to the card? Do I have to update the card before that?

System firmware is 9.2.0-20U and my Gateway firmware is GW3D 9.4.0-21U. I think my Gateway card is on the 3.0.1 beta. Should that be updated?
Can't answer that without knowing what kind of 3 DS you have.

Goofy Time

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good grief. Old or new?

Old. Had it since January of 2014.

I know the card works and games boot, so I'm asking more in the context of updating it from when the 9.2 Gateway exploit originally released. I have no idea if newer games don't work on it without updating or if there are traps if I update the cards system firmware via wifi update. Hopefully you follow.

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Old. Had it since January of 2014.

I know the card works and games boot, so I'm asking more in the context of updating it from when the 9.2 Gateway exploit originally released. I have no idea if newer games don't work on it without updating or if there are traps if I update the cards system firmware via wifi update. Hopefully you follow.
You can install the latest launcher.dat from gateway and then use system settings to upgrade your Emuand to 9.7. You can copy and replace the launcher.dat using wifi if you prefer. Gateway has firmware spoofing so I think all games will run on 9.4 but it is best to upgrade to 9.7 online now while you still can.

Goofy Time

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can install the latest launcher.dat from gateway and then use system settings to upgrade your Emuand to 9.7. You can copy and replace the launcher.dat using wifi if you prefer. Gateway has firmware spoofing so I think all games will run on 9.4 but it is best to upgrade to 9.7 online now while you still can.

What would be the best way of updating it? Installing the launcher.dat file and then using wifi while in Gateway mode to update the system firmware?

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What would be the best way of updating it? Installing the launcher.dat file and then using wifi while in Gateway mode to update the system firmware?
that is the best way and also the easiest. In the future make sure that gateway mode supports whatever fw Ninty is dishing out that day.

ScOULaris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll be getting a New 3DS XL today from a secondhand seller who already put the Gateway exploit on it. If I want to clear out his profile and start fresh, should I just use "Format Emunand" from the Gateway menu or "Format System Memory" from System Settings while in Gateway mode?

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll be getting a New 3DS XL today from a secondhand seller who already put the Gateway exploit on it. If I want to clear out his profile and start fresh, should I just use "Format Emunand" from the Gateway menu or "Format System Memory" from System Settings while in Gateway mode?
I assume you mean the mset exploit not the browser exploit.

If you want to start fresh format system memory from sysnand and then format the mSD card with ad Formatter v4 fro sdcard.org. That will get you about as fresh as you can get without updating the system settings menu and doing that would would just be busy work if you plan to use mset.

hoist20032002

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I keep installing the exploit using CN then the top screen goes pink and once I reboot my N3DS or O3DS, it won't let me select the QR code to enter gateway-mode. Could my CN carts be faulty or am I doing it wrong?

hoist20032002

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I keep installing the exploit using CN then the top screen goes pink and once I reboot my N3DS or O3DS, it won't let me select the QR code to enter gateway-mode. Could my CN carts be faulty or am I doing it wrong?
And I delete the QR code before I install the exploit before it goes pink.

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to boot GW mode/emunand without internet/apps ? The way to boot by DS menu on N3Ds work on the old3ds?
Options for getting to Gateway Mode/emuNand:
Old 3DS:
- Use the browser exploit.
- Downgrade sysNand to 4.x using Gateway menu, use NVRAM Profile exploit.

New 3DS:
- Use Cubic Ninja/Zelda OoT exploit
- Downgrade sysNand's System Settings using mset.cia, use NVRAM Profile exploit.

You'll probably want to look up more information if you're planning to downgrade an Old 3DS, though. Read guides, especially ones talking about breaking game saves. If you're on a New 3DS, you'll want to read guides on mset, as the official instructions leave out the part about booting to sysNand instead of emuNand.

Reactions: Sliter

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to boot GW mode/emunand without internet/apps ? The way to boot by DS menu on N3Ds work on the old3ds?
Everything Typhin said. The problem with the downgrade is any 6.x or higher game saves will be viewed as corrupted and wiped out.

Reactions: Sliter

The_Frag_Man

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello,

I'm still learning, so these might be dumb questions, please forgive me.
When I initially make emunand it will reformat the SD card, and it will contain a copy of the sysnand. If I restore a backup of the SD card, will I be able to play my e-shop games on the emunand off the SD card?

What is the difference between classic mode and gateway mode? Are these two modes separate from if emunand is setup or not? It's not clear to me why installed .cia files would be visible in classic mode, unless it was also operating on emunand. Then why do you have to be in gateway mode to update emunand?

Thanks.

I've read so much about different CFW and tools and such that it's making me really worried because there's just so much I don't understand. I mistake could be very costly and upsetting!

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello,

I'm still learning, so these might be dumb questions, please forgive me.
When I initially make emunand it will reformat the SD card, and it will contain a copy of the sysnand. If I restore a backup of the SD card, will I be able to play my e-shop games on the emunand off the SD card?

What is the difference between classic mode and gateway mode? Are these two modes separate from if emunand is setup or not? It's not clear to me why installed .cia files would be visible in classic mode, unless it was also operating on emunand. Then why do you have to be in gateway mode to update emunand?

Thanks.

I've read so much about different CFW and tools and such that it's making me really worried because there's just so much I don't understand. I mistake could be very costly and upsetting!

Yes, unless you unlink emunand from this sysnand

Gw mode boot a way to read the GW card and the games you put there, classic mode allows you to play retail carts (with region free and stuffs), not sure if DS carts work

Abou CFW I don't know actuallty :v but don't be afraid, just read a lot about if you are afraid from doing something XD but with GW I think you don't need it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :blink: