Hacking List of all Gateway questions (9.2.0-20)

doesntmatterz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, what you need is wither devmenu or big blue menu, to install cia files. .cia files are anything e-shop wise. For example, you can convert .3ds games to .cia to install them straight to the home menu for faster load times, and to avoid the need for header injections (done to avoid online bans), ect.

So you can d/l .cia files of DLC and 3dsware, and VC titles ect, and install them via Dev menu or Big blue menu. It will recognize the DLC in game once it is installed. Only issue is that if you go to the data management in sysNAND, it will delete all manually installed .cia files, and only keep the legit ones.
I'd link you to some tuts, but I'm on mobile. They shouldn't be hard to find on Google though.

If you are familiar with wii hacking, it is the equivalent of installing .wad files in order to run unsigned vc/wiiware/homebrew loaders ect.

That makes sense I will give this a try, thanks!

Reactions: Margen67

2Hack

HYPiavelli
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Canada
That makes sense I will give this a try, thanks!

one thing. emuNAND was confirmed NOT in the GW update, at least not for now. So when you are installing .cia files, make sure you accuire them from a reputable source. If a .cia file is hard to find, it's probably not worth the risk of installing.

otherwise, just proceed with extreme caution until emuNAND support is added.

This all was confirmed today, so I'd hate to send you off without warning. I was going under the assumption that gw had emuNAND for sure.

Take care.

satanicangel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
one thing. emuNAND was confirmed NOT in the GW update, at least not for now. So when you are installing .cia files, make sure you accuire them from a reputable source. If a .cia file is hard to find, it's probably not worth the risk of installing.

otherwise, just proceed with extreme caution until emuNAND support is added.

This all was confirmed today, so I'd hate to send you off without warning. I was going under the assumption that gw had emuNAND for sure.

Take care.
Sorry, is there something important that I missed? Where is the 'emunand confirmed not in the GW update' part come from? Just want to make sure, thanks.

nosignaldetected

Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry, is there something important that I missed? Where is the 'emunand confirmed not in the GW update' part come from? Just want to make sure, thanks.

From a guy who has a beta of the exploit update. Its confirmed as legit by garyopa, admin of the official gateway forum and server

It wont hav e emunand to begin with, but will be added later

nosignaldetected

Trophies
XP
Country
oops double post

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 1,078

Lookie401

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if this was asked before but I want to know...: Lets say after I setup emuNAND, I made a few purchases and free downloads on the eShop and in-game store. Then days/weeks/months/years later decide I no longer want to use Gateway with emuNAND.

1. Is there a way to transfer stuff from emuNAND to sysNAND?
2. Are purchases/downloads recognized by the eShop/in-game store when you stop using emuNAND?

Thanks in advance.

2Hack

HYPiavelli
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry if this was asked before but I want to know...: Lets say after I setup emuNAND, I made a few purchases and free downloads on the eShop and in-game store. Then days/weeks/months/years later decide I no longer want to use Gateway with emuNAND.

1. Is there a way to transfer stuff from emuNAND to sysNAND?
2. Are purchases/downloads recognized by the eShop/in-game store when you stop using emuNAND?

Thanks in advance.
Purchases are tied to your NNID, so you will retain them even if your 3ds explodes. All it takes is calling Nintendo, and asking them to transfer your NNID to a new console.

They'll ask for the old serial #
New serial #
And maybe a bit more confirmation but that's it. Then you can redownloading your games, so they will never be lost.

Lookie401

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Purchases are tied to your NNID, so you will retain them even if your 3ds explodes. All it takes is calling Nintendo, and asking them to transfer your NNID to a new console.

They'll ask for the old serial #
New serial #
And maybe a bit more confirmation but that's it. Then you can redownloading your games, so they will never be lost.
Thanks for replying but you didn't really answer my question. :(

I know about purchases are tied to NNID but this is about emu and sysNAND.

2Hack

HYPiavelli
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for replying but you didn't really answer my question. :(

I know about purchases are tied to NNID but this is about emu and sysNAND.
When you make your emuNAND partition, you are copying your sysNAND to your SD card, which is why it is called emuNAND. It is exactly your system nand except any changes after it is made will be made only to the nand that the changed apply to. So when you make your emuNAND, your NNID will be connected to both NANDs, except if you decide to format emuNAND for whatever reason.

The thing is, purchase history is saved on nintendo's database. So it doesn't matter which nand the DLC is purchased from, it will still go through your NNID, thus being saved in your purchase history. You will never lose legit purchases.

Hope this answers it :)

Lookie401

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
When you make your emuNAND partition, you are copying your sysNAND to your SD card, which is why it is called emuNAND. It is exactly your system nand except any changes after it is made will be made only to the nand that the changed apply to. So when you make your emuNAND, your NNID will be connected to both NANDs, except if you decide to format emuNAND for whatever reason.

The thing is, purchase history is saved on nintendo's database. So it doesn't matter which nand the DLC is purchased from, it will still go through your NNID, thus being saved in your purchase history. You will never lose legit purchases.

Hope this answers it :)
Okay thanks. I think I get it but to make sure let me ask this question another way:

1. Will sysNAND recognized all the downloads when you stop using emuNAND or would I have to redownload them?

2. Will sysNAND recognized the save data (for downloaded games), user created stuff (like Miis) and other software data (like streetpasses and puzzle pieces) when you stop using emuNAND or would I lose them?

Thanks for keeping up with me. :)

2Hack

HYPiavelli
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Canada
Okay thanks. I think I get it but to make sure let me ask this question another way:

1. Will sysNAND recognized all the downloads when you stop using emuNAND or would I have to redownload them?

2. Will sysNAND recognized the save data (for downloaded games), user created stuff (like Miis) and other software data (like streetpasses and puzzle pieces) when you stop using emuNAND or would I lose them?

Thanks for keeping up with me. :)

1) yes. It will recognize your downloads when you stop using emuNAND.

2) pretty sure you would lose them unfortunately. Anything not saved on the cloud will be lost. I think pokébank is exempt from this due to saving pokemon online rather than on your SD.

Don't quote me on #2 though. I'm not 100% sure, but we got to hope for the best, expect the worst I guess.

Lookie401

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1) yes. It will recognize your downloads when you stop using emuNAND.

2) pretty sure you would lose them unfortunately. Anything not saved on the cloud will be lost. I think pokébank is exempt from this due to saving pokemon online rather than on your SD.

Don't quote me on #2 though. I'm not 100% sure, but we got to hope for the best, expect the worst I guess.
Thank you very much. I completely understand now! :)

Reactions: 2Hack

doesntmatterz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for all the help. Is there a step by step guide on how to get your Gateway card up and running from start to finish I can you guys can "recommend"?

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, they ARE releasing a new update for native support of firmwares up to 9.2.0 using the current card (the red one, the blue one will be useless, even for old DS games, since it doesn't support anything close to 9.2, it doesn't seem to be updateable, and the new exploit probably has nothing to do with the DS mode like the 4.0-4.5 one).

I thought so too. The blue card was banned in 6.1 after all. However, there actually is a CIA that, if installed without EmuNAND present (in my case, I could just insert the original 4 GB cards) , will re-enable old DS carts. Someone else linked to it a few pages ago. So, theoretically you could use the blue card to run DS ROMs after installing that CIA. But I can't see anyone wanting to. You can pick up an Acekard 2i dirt cheap these days (not that I ever considered the DSTwo expensive -- I buy retro flash adapter carts, a $40 card is practically an impulse buy for me).

Thanks for all the help. Is there a step by step guide on how to get your Gateway card up and running from start to finish I can you guys can "recommend"?

We haven't seen the official instructions for the new exploit yet. Though I believe some beta testers have reported that it's like Ninjhax, but it uses MiiPlaza to load the QR code instead of Cubic Ninja. Sounds rational.

The original method is easy:

1. Just copy the contents of the "blue card" folder to the root of a MicroSD card, place it in the blue card, insert the blue card, run the card, run GW_Installer. Follow the prompts, it will shut down, eject the card, done (if the installation hangs, shut it off, turn it back on, and try again). If you don't play DS games on your 3DS, you should not need to do this again (unless you do an unlink, but you can read about that later). If you have a DS card you use regularly with your 3DS, well, GW_Installer is a normal DS ROM, so there's no need to use the blue card if you have a good DS card. Just place GW_Installer.nds on the same card with your other DS ROMs, and run it after playing DS games.

2. Copy the "launcher.dat" to the root of your 3DS's internal SD card and place it back in your 3DS.

3. Turn your 3DS back on, go to System Settings, Other Settings, Profile, DS Profile. The Gateway menu will pop up if the red card is not inserted (which I deliberately didn't tell you to do yet) or you hold "L" while clicking "DS Profile"

Technically, the GW software is up and running at this point. It should have taken you to the Gateway menu. All you have to do now is copy games to a MicroSD card (it's advised to format it first, as EXFAT if available, as FAT32 otherwise), put the MicroSD card into the red card, and insert the red card into the 3DS.

So, with the red card inserted, select Gateway mode (if it's your first time using the card, it may ask to update it, just follow the prompts). If all went well, you should be back to the home menu, and hitting select should bring up the ROM selection menu.

Dumping your NAND and installing EmuNAND are optional, but highly recommended.

Both options are fairly straightforward. Select Dump NAND in the Gateway menu. Once that's done, back everything on the internal SD card up, because "Format EmuNAND" is going to wipe it. Once you have everything backed up, place the SD back into the 3DS, go back to the menu, and select "Format EmuNAND" Once that is done, boot back into Gateway mode (you can skip the menu this time). Go into System Settings, you should see "GW3D" in the firmware version if everything went well. Now you can perform a system update from the "Other Settings" menu. Once you have EmuNAND updated to 9.4, copy all of the files you backed up (except NAND.bin) back to the SD card. And while you've got the SD card connected to the computer, you might also want to backup your EmuNAND using EmuNAND Tool. If a future update gives a black screen, you can restore your backup.

Note that exiting the System Settings menu in EmuNAND will drop you back into SysNAND. So, check for "GW3D" every single time before you head to the update option. To help you better keep track of which you're running, set a theme once EmuNAND's on 9.4. Since initially your SysNAND and EmuNAND are linked, you'll want to setup 3 fake wifi connections with no security to keep real wifi connection settings in EmuNAND from transferring over. Also, under wifi settings, set both Spotpass options to no (note that these can only be set if you accepted the ToS -- if you didn't, by all means, don't, not accepting is an even better way to avoid updates). Also advised, enable parental controls in SysNAND. If you ever try to update SysNAND by mistake, you'll get asked for the 4 digit pin. One last thing. Windows Explorer is complete garbage and has a tendency to fragment files. So, I'd highly recommend using Total Commander or opening a command line and using the "xcopy" command to transfer the ROMs to the red card.

Öhr

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
with gw support coming and all, is there a way to transfer the cartridge saves of my games to the SD card? that way, I wont have to swap anymore.

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
with gw support coming and all, is there a way to transfer the cartridge saves of my games to the SD card? that way, I wont have to swap anymore.

The Gateway menu on 4.x provides a save backup utility. However, it will use the product code when it backs up the save. So, you will need to rename it to the main title ID in order for it to find it when it loads the ROM (you can find this info via 3DS Explorer). For example, if you were to backup the save for "Persona Q", it would name it "AQQE.sav", which you would need to rename to "0004000000123400.sav" to get the Gateway to load it.

doesntmatterz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought so too. The blue card was banned in 6.1 after all. However, there actually is a CIA that, if installed without EmuNAND present (in my case, I could just insert the original 4 GB cards) , will re-enable old DS carts. Someone else linked to it a few pages ago. So, theoretically you could use the blue card to run DS ROMs after installing that CIA. But I can't see anyone wanting to. You can pick up an Acekard 2i dirt cheap these days (not that I ever considered the DSTwo expensive -- I buy retro flash adapter carts, a $40 card is practically an impulse buy for me).

We haven't seen the official instructions for the new exploit yet. Though I believe some beta testers have reported that it's like Ninjhax, but it uses MiiPlaza to load the QR code instead of Cubic Ninja. Sounds rational.

The original method is easy:

1. Just copy the contents of the "blue card" folder to the root of a MicroSD card, place it in the blue card, insert the blue card, run the card, run GW_Installer. Follow the prompts, it will shut down, eject the card, done (if the installation hangs, shut it off, turn it back on, and try again). If you don't play DS games on your 3DS, you should not need to do this again (unless you do an unlink, but you can read about that later). If you have a DS card you use regularly with your 3DS, well, GW_Installer is a normal DS ROM, so there's no need to use the blue card if you have a good DS card. Just place GW_Installer.nds on the same card with your other DS ROMs, and run it after playing DS games.

2. Copy the "launcher.dat" to the root of your 3DS's internal SD card and place it back in your 3DS.

3. Turn your 3DS back on, go to System Settings, Other Settings, Profile, DS Profile. The Gateway menu will pop up if the red card is not inserted (which I deliberately didn't tell you to do yet) or you hold "L" while clicking "DS Profile"

Technically, the GW software is up and running at this point. It should have taken you to the Gateway menu. All you have to do now is copy games to a MicroSD card (it's advised to format it first, as EXFAT if available, as FAT32 otherwise), put the MicroSD card into the red card, and insert the red card into the 3DS.

So, with the red card inserted, select Gateway mode (if it's your first time using the card, it may ask to update it, just follow the prompts). If all went well, you should be back to the home menu, and hitting select should bring up the ROM selection menu.

Dumping your NAND and installing EmuNAND are optional, but highly recommended.

Both options are fairly straightforward. Select Dump NAND in the Gateway menu. Once that's done, back everything on the internal SD card up, because "Format EmuNAND" is going to wipe it. Once you have everything backed up, place the SD back into the 3DS, go back to the menu, and select "Format EmuNAND" Once that is done, boot back into Gateway mode (you can skip the menu this time). Go into System Settings, you should see "GW3D" in the firmware version if everything went well. Now you can perform a system update from the "Other Settings" menu. Once you have EmuNAND updated to 9.4, copy all of the files you backed up (except NAND.bin) back to the SD card. And while you've got the SD card connected to the computer, you might also want to backup your EmuNAND using EmuNAND Tool. If a future update gives a black screen, you can restore your backup.

Note that exiting the System Settings menu in EmuNAND will drop you back into SysNAND. So, check for "GW3D" every single time before you head to the update option. To help you better keep track of which you're running, set a theme once EmuNAND's on 9.4. Since initially your SysNAND and EmuNAND are linked, you'll want to setup 3 fake wifi connections with no security to keep real wifi connection settings in EmuNAND from transferring over. Also, under wifi settings, set both Spotpass options to no (note that these can only be set if you accepted the ToS -- if you didn't, by all means, don't, not accepting is an even better way to avoid updates). Also advised, enable parental controls in SysNAND. If you ever try to update SysNAND by mistake, you'll get asked for the 4 digit pin. One last thing. Windows Explorer is complete garbage and has a tendency to fragment files. So, I'd highly recommend using Total Commander or opening a command line and using the "xcopy" command to transfer the ROMs to the red card.

Like a boss, excellent post thanks for taking the time for the writeup!

mrwings

Trophies
XP
Country
My 3DS arrived and now just waiting on the gateway. It came on 2.1.0-4E, i'm guessing I might still need to update it to 4.5 even if the new version comes out?

ch-vox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
My 3DS arrived and now just waiting on the gateway. It came on 2.1.0-4E, i'm guessing I might still need to update it to 4.5 even if the new version comes out?

exactly, just choose the right game ! here is a non exhaustive list :
Firmware 4.5.0

Animal Crossing - New Leaf (Europe)
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (Europe + USA)
Fire Emblem - Awakening (Europe)
LEGO City Undercover - The Chase Begins (Europe + USA)
LEGO Legends of Chima - Laval's Journey (Europe)
Luigi's Mansion 2 (Europe)
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - Gates to Infinity (Europe + USA)
Shin Megami Tensei IV (USA)

Firmware 4.4.0

Castlevania - Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (Europe + USA)
Etrian Odyssey IV - Legends of the Titan (USA)
Fast & Furious - Showdown (Europe)
Fire Emblem - Awakening (USA)
Mario Tennis Open (USA) (Note: ZhangYang reported this as being 4.3.0U)
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Europe + USA)
Monster High Skultimate Roller Maze (Europe)
My Riding Stables 3D - Jumping for the Team (Europe)
Naruto Powerful Shippunden (USA)
Paper Mario - Sticker Star (Europe)
Project X Zone (Europe + USA)
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (Europe)
The Croods - Prehistoric Party! (Europe)
Zero Escape - Virtue's Last Reward (Europe)

Firmware 4.3.0

Angry Birds Trilogy (Europe)
Ben 10 - Omniverse (Europe)
Naruto Powerful Shippuden (Europe)
Paper Mario - Sticker Star (USA)
Pro Evolution Soccer 2013 3D (France + Germany) [AWTD]
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask (USA [AKKE] + France [AKKF] + Germany [AKKD] + Spain [AKKS] + Italy [AKKI])
Rise of the Guardians (Europe)
Survivor 3D - The Ultimate Adventure (Europe)

Firmware 4.2.0

Biohazard - Revelations (Taiwan) [ABRW]
Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time 3D (Taiwan) [AQEW]

Firmware 4.1.0

Bowling Bonanza 3D (Europe)
Code of Princess (USA)
Disney Epic Mickey - Power of Illusion (Europe + USA)
Disney Princess - My Fairytale Adventure (Europe)
Freakyforms Deluxe (Europe)
Harvest Moon 3D - A New Beginning (USA)
Hotel Transylvania (Europe)
Imagine - Fashion World 3D (Europe)
Jewel Link - Legends of Atlantis 3D (Europe)
LEGO The Lord of the Rings (Europe + USA)
New Art Academy (Europe)
New Super Mario Bros. 2 (Europe + USA)
Pippi Longstocking 3D (Europe)
Project X Zone (Japan)
Rabbids Rumble (Europe + USA)
Sengoku Musou Chronicle 2nd (Japan)
Shin Megami Tensei - Devil Survivor Overclocked (Europe)
Sherlock Holmes - The Mystery of the Frozen City (Europe)
Spy Hunter (Europe)
Transformers Prime - The Game (Europe)
Zero Escape - Virtue's Last Reward (USA)

source : http://www.eurasia.nu/wiki/index.php/3DS_Games_with_firmware_updates_in_the_4.1_-_4.5_range

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That sick boy yo
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was hoping I could add a custom ROM to this fire HD 10 tablet but guess no one's made twrp available
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Root it? Lol
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    That shit is so locked down, tighter than a nun's ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know if that's even possible for the firmware
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You can remove the bloat ware and ads easily but can't install a rom
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    20 some years later crash bandicoot still pisses me off
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have you jail broke your ps4 yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been on since 9.0
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Are you gonna do your ps5 if the hack comes? Is there worries of bans, like the ps3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably not I got cross play friends
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they risk getting flagged or banned, altho spouting profanity in online play alredy does that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Anyone dumb enough to get banned for spouting profanity deserves it.
  • Y @ YuseiFD:
    Then how come you do it and don't get banned ? or is it a question of getting caught doing it ?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision

the new generation playing MWII won't be as hardened as the previous one playing original MW2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of video games? Kids playing video games won't be as hardened as the previous ones getting shoved down a hillside.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    exactly my point
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig or Mario's Early Years
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig...