Hacking List of all Gateway questions (9.2.0-20)

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so it's like the PSP example I was trying to convey. You use "spoofed" firmware to get more recent games. Got it.

Sort of, but this isn't spoofing, it's virtualization. It's not just saying it's running the new firmware, it actually is running it, just from a sandbox on the SD card. So, a much better example would be, all your office systems run Linux for the stability and low malware, but you need to run MS Office because LibreOffice still can't properly handle most of your documents, so, you run Windows XP in Virtualbox, but you configure Virtualbox to not allow the VM to go online, so the office workers can't go browsing in IE and get the VM infected (plus, if they manage to mess it up by some other method, you've also cloned the VM, so you can just push a fresh copy of it over from the server, as opposed to having to physically format the computer's HDD and reinstall the OS).

Quick question:

My friend's 3DS XL Gateway (2.3b IIRC) setup needs updating. Her sysNAND and emuNAND are both on firmware 4.5, but "GW3D" doesn't show up when she enters System Settings from emuNAND.

Other than that, everything seems to work fine... Was the "GW3D" tag not added until after Gateway 2.3b?

I think I just need to update her launcher.dat and then update her emuNAND via a Smash Bros. ROM, but I figure I should make sure first. Wouldn't want to accidentally update sysNAND past 4.5!

Um, no, it always says GW3D. The only time it doesn't do this is if you go into Legacy mode (because Legacy mode boots real game carts, for which purpose an authentic firmware version must be reported). If you aren't seeing that, then it means EmuNAND is NOT installed. Do NOT run an update without seeing those letters. You will overwrite the real SysNAND. And then you'll have to pay someone that has a flasher to reverse the damage you've done (and even they can't help you if you didn't perform a NAND dump).

First, take the SD card out and put it into a PC. Then run EmuNANDTool. Try to backup the existing EmuNAND. If it doesn't find one, there you go, it's not there. While you've got the card connected to a computer, go ahead and copy the new Launcher over. Then, put the SD card back in the 3DS.

So, now you probably need to create EmuNAND. First go into the menu (hold L down and select "DS Profile"). Second, dump the NAND. Third, copy the NAND dump (and anything else on the card you want to keep for that matter) to PC, because installing EmuNAND will erase everything on the card (I'm not just having you do this in case you screw up, either, the original NAND dump can be injected into EmuNAND to restore it to 4.5 with the original profile, even after formatting system memory and creating a new profile in SysNAND, something people often do to stop SysNAND from messing with their EmuNAND icons). Once that's done, boot into Gateway mode again the normal way (without the L button held) and you should now see the "GW3D" letters in settings. If so, then (and only then) it is safe to update. Since 2.7 works with the latest firmware, 9.4, just update EmuNAND online (getting a 9.x EmuNAND now, before Nintendo pushes another update out, would be a good idea). You can always get an 8.1 any time, since there are games that come with it. Personally, I've had no luck running Ninjhax on 8.1 (and as of yesterday, that's the only reason to still do an 8.1). Now that you have an EmuNAND on 9.4, back it up. That way you can get it back if, say, a new update comes out, and your friend finds out the current launcher is incompatible with it the hard way.

Reactions: Smash Br0

dontay0100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick question:

My friend's 3DS XL Gateway (2.3b IIRC) setup needs updating. Her sysNAND and emuNAND are both on firmware 4.5, but "GW3D" doesn't show up when she enters System Settings from emuNAND.

Other than that, everything seems to work fine... Was the "GW3D" tag not added until after Gateway 2.3b?

I think I just need to update her launcher.dat and then update her emuNAND via a Smash Bros. ROM, but I figure I should make sure first. Wouldn't want to accidentally update sysNAND past 4.5!

Go into Gateway settings and choose format emunand.. that should create your 4.5 emunand.. then when you see GW 4.5 make sure to update thus creating the latest emunand version.. make sure not to update your systemnand...

Reactions: Smash Br0

jmleolgq

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
00b3ec3d70cf3bc7c75d225fd200baa1cc112a5a.jpg

Smash Br0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the answers! I feel kinda dumb now -- it's apparent that I just never got around to getting my friend's emuNAND set up in the first place. I backed up her sysNAND and got her Gateway working, then stopped because she had to leave.

BTW, about backing up sysNAND and emuNAND... Do I have this right? You back up sysNAND from the Gateway menu; it gives you a NAND.bin file. Is that the only essential file I need to keep safe?

As for emuNAND tool, I take it that's necessary because you can't backup emuNAND the same way as sysNAND (via Gateway menu)? So, once I've got emuNAND set up, I copy the entire contents of my 3DS's SD card to my PC, then run the emuNAND tool. Does that result in a NAND.bin file? Do I just need to keep that file, or the entire contents of the SD card backed up?

And on a different note, I'm confused about whether I should keep my NANDs linked or not. I've read that it's best to have a 2 SD card setup: 1 unlinked emuNAND on 8.1-9.2 (for regular use), and one linked emuNAND on the latest firmware (for getting and decrypting stuff off the eShop). My questions about this are...

- Which card would I use to play online games? If I used the unlinked one on the older firmware, would the most recent firmware download to my console while connected to the 'net?

- Is it true that having your WiFi switch on while you're near a Nintendo Zone will get the latest firmware downloaded to your 3DS? Is it safe to keep WiFi on (for StreetPass) if your 3DS is in emuNAND mode, on the latest firmware?

- If a 3DS running an older emuNAND ends up with a firmware update downloaded to it via either of the above two ways, is there still an update prompt, or does it update automatically? Does sysNAND or emuNAND get updated? I know that while running sysNAND, I should keep WiFi off at all times, as well as keeping all 'net connections filled with invalid settings.

Last of all, I'm not sure if this will be a problem...

2 SD card method

In order to safely access the Data Management of the sysNAND without losing everything from the emuNAND, one must perform a FORMAT to the 3DS!
BUT, TO BE ABLE TO DO THIS WITHOUT LOSING THE SD DECRYPTER ABILITY, HERE GOES:

ATTENTION: THIS ONLY APPLIES TO SYSTEMS THAT DO NOT HAVE ANY BOUGHT GAMES IN SYSNAND AND EMUNAND (ex: you never bought any game in sysNAND or new console without games...)
If you bought any game, have not decrypted it, and you have it in emuNAND, you can't format the 3DS, or else, the sysNAND will change, and you will lose access to decrypt the game, since the XOR's will change.
Side note: Not shure about this but: supposedly, if you bought the game in sysNAND, and format your 3DS, if you try to access the eShop and vinculate your 3DS again, it's supposed to be able to and then you can download your bought games again, but I'm not shure about this so, better not take the risk...

1) Remove your SD Card and Gateway card from your 3DS, and FORMAT THE CONSOLE. This will make your sysNAND be different from your emuNAND, thus losing the problem of deletion.
2) Now, with ANOTHER SD card, install the GateWay exploit AND emuNAND to the latest version (so that you can have access to the eShop).
3) By doing this, your SD Decrypter will work normally BUT ONLY USING THIS NEW SD CARD AND THIS NEW EMUNAND! So, if you plan on buying something in the eShop (and decrypting it to share it or to install it in the OTHER emuNAND), you will always be able to using this emuNAND.
4) Use the oldest emuNAND to play only! And that's that! Two problems solved. One card to access eShop and buy/decrypt stuff, other SD Card to play decrypted stuff without worries of deletion from the sysNAND!
About that warning in red... None of the 3DS systems I have access to are "clean slate". They've all connected to the eShop and downloaded something, like updates, free games, or demos. Only one of them has games on it that were actually purchased with eShop credit, and only a couple have Nintendo Network IDs tied to them. Will these systems not work with the 2 SD card method? What's all this about "XORs" and "vinculating"? Can I format a 3DS to return to "clean slate" and make it compatible with the 2 SD card method? I'd like to be able to use .cia files, although I'm still a but unclear on what advantages they have over .3ds / .3dz files. From what I understand...

.cia are smaller, and its save files can be exported. decrypted, edited, re-encrypted, and imported back in.

.cia don't need a header imported to play online. Do they use a different kind of header? What's this mean:

Take caution about the Unique ID's of each CIA. Meaning: each CIA has it's own Unique ID. If you manage to, even by accident, install a CIA that has the same Unique ID of a CIA that you had already installed, the new CIA will replace the old one, even if it was a COMPLETELY different game or application. So take caution about this. This can easily happen if no precautions are made.

Are unique IDs and Headers the same thing?

...That's all I've got for now. Thanks a lot for any helpful answers!

BrainSlugs83

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
So, from what I'm reading, I gather it's too late to update to 9.0 - 9.2 safely (Nintendo is now on version 9.4.x-U)... and I'm stuck on 7.x on my 3DS-XL. -- The GW team says they're going to drop this update at some point in the future that adds support for 9.0 - 9.2 (since then, they've had an update, but it did not add this support...) -- but they've said that future update will only support 9.0 - 9.2 -- but the GW team has made a statement that they'll then work on adding support for 8.x next, and then eventually 7.x after that, and so on and so forth, -- but that could take a long time for them to add support for my system (7.x), and I'm a pretty impatient person, with some time to kill in the here-and-now (Christmas vacation!).

Has anybody captured any of the 9.0 - 9.2 updates (US version) -- that we can download somewhere? -- even if there's no supported process... I want to fuck with it... -- maybe we can spoof the update server with a clever proxy setup... (I'll post details if I figure out how of course...)

Or failing that, can anyone with one of those versions do a SysNand dump? (just a binary blob is fine. -- If I have to break out a soldering iron and a bus pirate or even an AVR or Arduino, I fucking will... -- though, at that rate, I suppose a 4.x SysNand dump could be fine too if one is available...) -- Are there any guides to do this? (seems like it would be similar to the unbricking setup/procedures that are being discussed, am I wrong?).

If I'm successful (or even if I'm not), I'll post either a postmortem or a guide so others will know what to do (or if I'm unlucky, what not to do)...

Edit: Does anyone know, in SysNand is there any unique Ids, or anything that's model/series specific etc. that would prevent a straight up SysNand import of a blob image?

Reactions: GotKrypto76

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
Trophies
XP
Country
So, from what I'm reading, I gather it's too late to update to 9.0 - 9.2 safely (Nintendo is now on version 9.4.x-U)... and I'm stuck on 7.x on my 3DS-XL. -- The GW team says they're going to drop this update at some point in the future that adds support for 9.0 - 9.2 (since then, they've had an update, but it did not add this support...) -- but they've said that future update will only support 9.0 - 9.2 -- but the GW team has made a statement that they'll then work on adding support for 8.x next, and then eventually 7.x after that, and so on and so forth, -- but that could take a long time for them to add support for my system (7.x), and I'm a pretty impatient person, with some time to kill in the here-and-now (Christmas vacation!).

Has anybody captured any of the 9.0 - 9.2 updates (US version) -- that we can download somewhere? -- even if there's no supported process... I want to fuck with it... -- maybe we can spoof the update server with a clever proxy setup... (I'll post details if I figure out how of course...)

Or failing that, can anyone with one of those versions do a SysNand dump? (just a binary blob is fine. -- If I have to break out a soldering iron and a bus pirate or even an AVR or Arduino, I fucking will... -- though, at that rate, I suppose a 4.x SysNand dump could be fine too if one is available...) -- Are there any guides to do this? (seems like it would be similar to the unbricking setup/procedures that are being discussed, am I wrong?).

If I'm successful (or even if I'm not), I'll post either a postmortem or a guide so others will know what to do (or if I'm unlucky, what not to do)...

Edit: Does anyone know, in SysNand is there any unique Ids, or anything that's model/series specific etc. that would prevent a straight up SysNand import of a blob image?
I would have thought the easiest solution for you would be to buy a Sky3DS and wait for a ROM with a higher firmware update and then sell it and get a Gateway...I don't think it's worth it to fiddle around and risk breaking something when you could just buy a cart for £60 (or its USD equivalent...).

That is assuming you only want to run ROMs however. For homebrew I suppose you could run Cubic Ninja from your Sky3DS and do the exploit from there if you so desire.

BrainSlugs83

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I would have thought the easiest solution for you would be to buy a Sky3DS and wait for a ROM with a higher firmware update and then sell it and get a Gateway...I don't think it's worth it to fiddle around and risk breaking something when you could just buy a cart for £60 (or its USD equivalent...).

That is assuming you only want to run ROMs however. For homebrew I suppose you could run Cubic Ninja from your Sky3DS and do the exploit from there if you so desire.

Can a Sky3Ds run hacked roms and emulators? -- What's Cubic Ninja -- does that work from 7.x-U? -- ... and what exploit are you referring to? -- Also, doesn't Sky have like ... really bad support ... and like can only load 10 games per SD or something?

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
Trophies
XP
Country
Can a Sky3Ds run hacked roms and emulators? -- What's Cubic Ninja -- does that work from 7.x-U? -- ... and what exploit are you referring to? -- Also, doesn't Sky have like ... really bad support ... and like can only load 10 games per SD or something?
No, Sky3DS can only run legitimate ROM's as the feeling is at the moment is that it emulates a real cartridge. Initially you could only write 10 games to the card, but that has since been broken and they now sell a card with a blue button without this limitation.

The Cubic Ninja exploit, as far as I am aware, works on all firmware versions up until 9.3, however this does not support loading ROMs of any kind (hence why you'd need a Sky3DS) but it does load homebrew. Do a bit of research on it.

As for support, the only thing we don't know is what will happen if a new FW blocks it, but you shouldn't be updating anyway if you're waiting for Gateway.

Smash Br0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone have any answers for the questions I asked in my last post?

About backing up sysNAND and emuNAND... Do I have this right? You back up sysNAND from the Gateway menu; it gives you a NAND.bin file. Is that the only essential file I need to keep safe?

As for emuNAND tool, I take it that's necessary because you can't backup emuNAND the same way as sysNAND (via Gateway menu)? So, once I've got emuNAND set up, I copy the entire contents of my 3DS's SD card to my PC, then run the emuNAND tool. Does that result in a NAND.bin file? Do I just need to keep that file, or the entire contents of the SD card backed up?

And on a different note, I'm confused about whether I should keep my NANDs linked or not. I've read that it's best to have a 2 SD card setup: 1 unlinked emuNAND on 8.1-9.2 (for regular use), and one linked emuNAND on the latest firmware (for getting and decrypting stuff off the eShop). My questions about this are...

- Which card would I use to play online games? If I used the unlinked one on the older firmware, would the most recent firmware download to my console while connected to the 'net?

- Is it true that having your WiFi switch on while you're near a Nintendo Zone will get the latest firmware downloaded to your 3DS? Is it safe to keep WiFi on (for StreetPass) if your 3DS is in emuNAND mode, on the latest firmware?

- If a 3DS running an older emuNAND ends up with a firmware update downloaded to it via either of the above two ways, is there still an update prompt, or does it update automatically? Does sysNAND or emuNAND get updated? I know that while running sysNAND, I should keep WiFi off at all times, as well as keeping all 'net connections filled with invalid settings.

2 SD card method

In order to safely access the Data Management of the sysNAND without losing everything from the emuNAND, one must perform a FORMAT to the 3DS!

ATTENTION: THIS ONLY APPLIES TO SYSTEMS THAT DO NOT HAVE ANY BOUGHT GAMES IN SYSNAND AND EMUNAND (ex: you never bought any game in sysNAND or new console without games...)
If you bought any game, have not decrypted it, and you have it in emuNAND, you can't format the 3DS, or else, the sysNAND will change, and you will lose access to decrypt the game, since the XOR's will change.
Side note: Not shure about this but: supposedly, if you bought the game in sysNAND, and format your 3DS, if you try to access the eShop and vinculate your 3DS again, it's supposed to be able to and then you can download your bought games again, but I'm not shure about this so, better not take the risk...

1) Remove your SD Card and Gateway card from your 3DS, and FORMAT THE CONSOLE. This will make your sysNAND be different from your emuNAND, thus losing the problem of deletion.
2) Now, with ANOTHER SD card, install the GateWay exploit AND emuNAND to the latest version (so that you can have access to the eShop).
3) By doing this, your SD Decrypter will work normally BUT ONLY USING THIS NEW SD CARD AND THIS NEW EMUNAND! So, if you plan on buying something in the eShop (and decrypting it to share it or to install it in the OTHER emuNAND), you will always be able to using this emuNAND.
4) Use the oldest emuNAND to play only! And that's that! Two problems solved. One card to access eShop and buy/decrypt stuff, other SD Card to play decrypted stuff without worries of deletion from the sysNAND!
About that warning in red... None of the 3DS systems I have access to are "clean slate". They've all connected to the eShop and downloaded something, like updates, free games, or demos. Only one of them has games on it that were actually purchased with eShop credit, and only a couple have Nintendo Network IDs tied to them. Will these systems not work with the 2 SD card method? What's all this about "XORs" and "vinculating"? Can I format a 3DS to return to "clean slate" and make it compatible with the 2 SD card method? I'd like to be able to use .cia files, although I'm still a but unclear on what advantages they have over .3ds / .3dz files. From what I understand...

.cia are smaller, and its save files can be exported. decrypted, edited, re-encrypted, and imported back in.

.cia don't need a header imported to play online. Do they use a different kind of header? What's this mean:

Take caution about the Unique ID's of each CIA. Meaning: each CIA has it's own Unique ID. If you manage to, even by accident, install a CIA that has the same Unique ID of a CIA that you had already installed, the new CIA will replace the old one, even if it was a COMPLETELY different game or application. So take caution about this. This can easily happen if no precautions are made.

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the answers! I feel kinda dumb now -- it's apparent that I just never got around to getting my friend's emuNAND set up in the first place. I backed up her sysNAND and got her Gateway working, then stopped because she had to leave.

BTW, about backing up sysNAND and emuNAND... Do I have this right? You back up sysNAND from the Gateway menu; it gives you a NAND.bin file. Is that the only essential file I need to keep safe?

2 SD card method

Yes, the NAND.bin is the only file you need to worry about from the original dump. Since I have two, I keep them in separate subfolders named "home" and "travel" (though I could probably just rename them if I wanted them in the same folder). The folders from the card contain any apps you've downloaded, pictures you've taken, etc. So, yes, you probably want to keep both a copy of the folders ("Nintendo 3DS" has the apps, "DCIM" will have the pictures, if you've taken any), along with your EmuNAND backups. Yes, the Gateway menu only backs up SysNAND. EmuNANDTool lets you name your dumped file, so I place all of those in the same folder. I named the files for the one I keep in my coat pocket names like "Travel92" and "Travel94" and the other one "Home92" and "Home94" etc. It automatically assigns the .bin extension.

If you do unlink, your SysNAND will lose any extra apps you've downloaded. They will still be present in EmuNAND (at least, the Youtube icon is, that's all I have to go by until the 9.x version hits and my ALBW unit can join the parade, never bought anything on my 4.5s). If the guide is correct, I'm surprised EmuNAND isn't using its own XOR (then again, it doesn't load the 6.x save encryption key either). Regardless, e-shop should let you re-download them, since EmuNAND still has your ID and all that (I have a good source for .cia files, so, I'm not worried, I can re-install whatever apps I lose anyway).

I'm guessing the reason they suggest 8.1-9.2 on the unlinked card is so you can still run Ninjhax. Since most homebrew devs release .cia files, it's unlikely you'll need it, but I backed up both of my 9.2 EmuNANDs just in case, so, I can go back to it anytime I want to. Play on the latest firmware if you want to. Seems more like a matter of preference. As for 9.2 trying to update, well, allegedly, if you set both Spotpass options (in connection settings) to "No" it prevents update requests (makes sense -- it's not looking for new firmware to pull, and Nintendo can't push something they don't know you need). If you unlink, you can do something even better for your new 4.5 profile -- skip accepting the online ToS, Spotpass won't run at all, lol. Last but not least, if you've backed EmuNAND up, you have nothing to worry about. You can even let it update to 9.4 if it asks, then inject your 9.2 backup when you want to run Ninjhax again.

Yes, the 3DS can automatically connect to a Nintendo Zone, no wifi configuration needed. As for it trying to update if you walk past one, not likely. That Spotpass configuration I mentioned in the previous paragraph should prevent it from knowing it needs an update, for one thing. As far as the 3DS trying to auto-update, too risky, if an auto-update started right as someone was shutting the device off, that could brick it. Nintendo doesn't want a liability like that. Also, if you haven't noticed, the 3DS usually demands to be plugged in when updating (as a safety precaution against the battery dying mid-update and bricking the unit). If Nintendo had found a way to bypass EmuNAND and update SysNAND, they probably would have used it by now. If you've backed up your EmuNAND, getting it updated is a non-issue anyway. You can always inject the backup back to the SD card. So, it's extremely unlikely leaving the system in standby mode for Streetpass could mess your system up.

Sounds like the second card is only for if you're planning on making heavy use of e-shop and SD Decrypter. I haven't had a chance to mess with SD Decrypter yet, but it looks useful. You could grab all the game updates for your region, decrypt, install on all systems, then you're good to go for online play.

CIAs might be a bit smaller, but not by much if you trim your ROMs (only do it to type 1 games). Using both does increase your overall game capacity, since the CIA goes to the internal card. They can also be run with the card out, so, if you wanted to boot two systems from the same Gateway card, hand one to a friend, and play a two-player game of Mario Kart 7, for example, you could. Playing games online from ROM format does require a proper header. Most scene releases do not have a proper header, but it's easy to patch them, and ROMs that have been pre-patched for online aren't difficult to find either. Converting to CIA does completely bypass this requirement (an oversight on Nintendo's part, or maybe they wrongfully assumed their DLC was less vulnerable and didn't need such checks). Still, converting to CIA is a much lengthier process than adding a header. The multi-system thing is the biggest benefit for me. I can see myself handing 3 3DSes to my friends to play 4-player Mario Kart. Pokemon, not so likely. But it all depends on what you want to do.

Reactions: logg and Smash Br0

BrainSlugs83

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Almost went and purchased a Sky3Ds so that I would have something to play with in the meanwhile -- actually I was going to go to the Gateway-3ds.com website to click "Resellers" (and go to the same vendor I ordered my Gateway from, because they also sell Sky3Ds -- which is $97 USD...), but lo-and-behold: NEW NEWS!

http://www.gateway-3ds.com/firmware-release-update/ said:
Firmware release update

Posted on December 18, 2014
We know many Gateway users are eagerly anticipating our upcoming native firmware support for Systems over 4.5 up to 9.2.
We have currently implemented support for firmware versions 7.0 until 9.2 and adding support for lower versions every day.
We apologize for the delay but want to reassure our users that it will be released soon.
Our proven policy is not to rush a product for a quick shameless buck, but to release highly featured updates which are also future proof. All Gateway owners have been enjoying our product for up to 18 months now and none of them regret their purchase. The same will remain for new users who we are sure will enjoy their Gateway, probably for the lifetime of their console.
Thank you for your support and we ask you for just a little more patience, our release is now just around the corner.
Posted in News.
So, if I cross my fingers really hard and maybe knock on all the wood I see today, maybe that alleged Christmas update will add support for my system (a 7.x system). Woot!

* holding my breath ... figuratively *

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival