Homebrew Linux on the Wii

SSorin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I can not find any clear tutorial of how to install linux on my wii,and also the benefits of it,how powerfull it is and things like that.
I don't know what to do with my Wii,I'm out of ideas,I tried everything that I saw.
Can you suggest me new things you can do with the wii?I'm waiting for the Open Shop Channel(aka WiiSOAP) release.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Effectively, you flash an image on the SD which makes it multiple partitioned - a regular FAT32 one that can be read normally by the Wii (containing the loader and kernel, that are started via BootMii) and an ext3 or something with the main filesystem

The most widespread image contains Debian Lenny (5), I vaguely remember you can upgrade it to the next version (Squeeze) but not further (since the kernel would require manual compiling and updating, probably requiring in turn manual porting of the Wii drivers)

It's something fun to try (and you can run text-mode software reasonably, even more so considering old software is less bloated), but there is zero practical reason to use it (and I don't use "zero" lightly):
Around 2011 I used it as a 24/7 P2P machine (my desktop PC being from 2000, and without variable clock/voltages, up to 120 watts add up), but today a Raspberry Pi Zero W has over 4x the memory, yet it can be bought new at half the price of an used Wii, while using much less power, and pretty improved wifi/bluetooth/expandibility/software support!

If you agree with my theory of the homebrew golden age (= the amazing selection and variety of amateur software of DS/PSP/Wii was caused by the fact they were the only cheap and widely available pocket devices with wifi/point-and-click device working with any TV) it's not surprising any console Linux port dies far faster than homebrew in general for the same console :)

Reactions: SSorin

SSorin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Effectively, you flash an image on the SD which makes it multiple partitioned - a regular FAT32 one that can be read normally by the Wii (containing the loader and kernel, that are started via BootMii) and an ext3 or something with the main filesystem

The most widespread image contains Debian Lenny (5), I vaguely remember you can upgrade it to the next version (Squeeze) but not further (since the kernel would require manual compiling and updating, probably requiring in turn manual porting of the Wii drivers)

It's something fun to try (and you can run text-mode software reasonably, even more so considering old software is less bloated), but there is zero practical reason to use it (and I don't use "zero" lightly):
Around 2011 I used it as a 24/7 P2P machine (my desktop PC being from 2000, and without variable clock/voltages, up to 120 watts add up), but today a Raspberry Pi Zero W has over 4x the memory, yet it can be bought new at half the price of an used Wii, while using much less power, and pretty improved wifi/bluetooth/expandibility/software support!

If you agree with my theory of the homebrew golden age (= the amazing selection and variety of amateur software of DS/PSP/Wii was caused by the fact they were the only cheap and widely available pocket devices with wifi/point-and-click device working with any TV) it's not surprising any console Linux port dies far faster than homebrew in general for the same console :)
Thanks for the informations.I planned to buy a raspberry pi 3,but I'm waiting for the release of raspberry pi 4 with the hope of bigger RAM storage.
I mod my wii only for fun,not for usefull things.And I usually try to port small pc games to the wii,but I result in a code dump everytime.

Last edited by SSorin,

laharl22

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello on lenny 5.0 on my wii apt-get update give me failed to fetch how to upgrade Debian or update the sources please? I more easy friendly with kali linux on my pc

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Hello on lenny 5.0 on my wii apt-get update give me failed to fetch how to upgrade Debian or update the sources please? I more easy friendly with kali linux on my pc
Maybe you can put in the apt-get and do the check the /etc folder in the apt folder in the sources.list and then to check the validation of the file to ensure the correctness of the universal resource locator?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yWIobzBdKc