Hacking Linked vs unlinked Emunand?

kermitfries

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right now my Sysnand and Emunand are linked, and I was just wondering, what is better in the long run. Linked or unlinked? I may want to unlink in the future, but I don't want to screw anything up. Advice?

Ra1d

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
There is nothing major other than the fact that when you install a CIA on a linked emuNAND you will have to unwrap it every-time you enter GW mode.

Deleted member 361703

GBATemp OldFag
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Right now my Sysnand and Emunand are linked, and I was just wondering, what is better in the long run. Linked or unlinked? I may want to unlink in the future, but I don't want to screw anything up. Advice?
Besides the unwrapping bs your connection to the internet will be shared. For me this is bad I use go gateway for android to avoid updating my sysnand because last time my.linked emunand actually updated my sysnand

Reactions: genericuser

Garou

Trophies
XP
Country
both
using 2 sd cards you can have linked emunand (for whatever reasons you need it to be linked) and unlinked emunand (i use this one for daily use, and have real connection to the internet)

when unlink emunand, make sure that you do system format while in emunand, not sysnand

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
both
using 2 sd cards you can have linked emunand (for whatever reasons you need it to be linked) and unlinked emunand (i use this one for daily use, and have real connection to the internet)

when unlink emunand, make sure that you do system format while in emunand, not sysnand

Mine gave an error when trying to format emunand so I formatted sysnand instead. No purchases on the system so nothing lost.

Garou

Trophies
XP
Country
in my case, i don't want to lose my legit installed eshop games in sysnand
i might be wrong, but i don't see any benefit to format sysnand to unlink emunand. you'll end up with empty sysnand

Mine gave an error when trying to format emunand so I formatted sysnand instead. No purchases on the system so nothing lost.

good for you
unfortunately i have some games purchased from eshop, and when playing those games, rather than using gateway, i usually play it directly from sysnand

genericuser

Trophies
XP
Country
Does anyone know which one benefits a system transfer? Or does it not matter?
I've read it's better to have linked for system transfer.

From gateway manual:

"It is best to perform this operation right away after first acquiring your New 3DS system and setting up Gateway3DS, as having an unlinked EmuNAND may complicate the process"

Reactions: MattKimura

powersaver

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I prefer unlinked because I'm not sure if there are consequences to filling up a real valid eShop account with games you didn't actually purchase. It's probably also detectable via serial, however. so all this might now matter much.

However, I don't see a reason to use linked other than to have your primary Mii be identical on both sysNAND and emuNAND? Are there other reasons? That's the only issue I can think off right now.

powersaver

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With SDF (SaveDataFiler) saves can be imported/exported. It's not the easiest thing to do, it's not terribly difficult, but it does work, at least from 9.2 to 4.x.

There may be some exceptions, however I haven't encountered any yet. It even works with Fantasy Life which had an different kind of save system (for a cart at least).

genericuser

Trophies
XP
Country
If you have n3ds and you want to buy something from the eshop (eg by using NTR CFW), I think linked does have the advantage that the purchase will appear in emunand without any extra steps. I haven't tried this though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: