Linked vs unlinked Emunand?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by kermitfries, Apr 7, 2015.

1. kermitfries
    OP

kermitfries Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 7, 2015
    United States
    Right now my Sysnand and Emunand are linked, and I was just wondering, what is better in the long run. Linked or unlinked? I may want to unlink in the future, but I don't want to screw anything up. Advice?

2. Ra1d

Ra1d GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 31, 2010
    Canada
    There is nothing major other than the fact that when you install a CIA on a linked emuNAND you will have to unwrap it every-time you enter GW mode.

3. HarEllis6202

HarEllis6202 GBATemp OldFag

Feb 19, 2015
    United States
    Michigan
    Besides the unwrapping bs your connection to the internet will be shared. For me this is bad I use go gateway for android to avoid updating my sysnand because last time my.linked emunand actually updated my sysnand

genericuser likes this.
  4. Heran Bago

Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

Nov 6, 2005
    United States
    Foggy California
    If you want to install clean CIAs on sysnand they have to be linked.

MattKimura likes this.
  5. Garou

Garou GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 13, 2015
    both
    using 2 sd cards you can have linked emunand (for whatever reasons you need it to be linked) and unlinked emunand (i use this one for daily use, and have real connection to the internet)

when unlink emunand, make sure that you do system format while in emunand, not sysnand

genericuser likes this.
  6. CrazySpaniard

CrazySpaniard Member

Newcomer
    Nov 14, 2008
    Canada
    why?

genericuser likes this.
  7. Heran Bago

Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

Nov 6, 2005
    United States
    Foggy California
    Mine gave an error when trying to format emunand so I formatted sysnand instead. No purchases on the system so nothing lost.

8. MattKimura

MattKimura 3DS & WiiU Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    Does anyone know which one benefits a system transfer? Or does it not matter?

9. Garou

Garou GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 13, 2015
    in my case, i don't want to lose my legit installed eshop games in sysnand
    i might be wrong, but i don't see any benefit to format sysnand to unlink emunand. you'll end up with empty sysnand

good for you
    unfortunately i have some games purchased from eshop, and when playing those games, rather than using gateway, i usually play it directly from sysnand

genericuser likes this.
  10. genericuser

genericuser GBAtemp Regular

Apr 5, 2015
    I've read it's better to have linked for system transfer.

From gateway manual:

"It is best to perform this operation right away after first acquiring your New 3DS system and setting up Gateway3DS, as having an unlinked EmuNAND may complicate the process"

MattKimura likes this.
  11. powersaver

powersaver GBAtemp Regular

Mar 15, 2015
    United States
    I prefer unlinked because I'm not sure if there are consequences to filling up a real valid eShop account with games you didn't actually purchase. It's probably also detectable via serial, however. so all this might now matter much.

However, I don't see a reason to use linked other than to have your primary Mii be identical on both sysNAND and emuNAND? Are there other reasons? That's the only issue I can think off right now.

12. EmceeKerser

EmceeKerser GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 3, 2014
    The fuckin' Blue Mountains brah
    Arent saves made in sysnand not accessible in an unlinked emunand? and viceversa

13. powersaver

powersaver GBAtemp Regular

Mar 15, 2015
    United States
    With SDF (SaveDataFiler) saves can be imported/exported. It's not the easiest thing to do, it's not terribly difficult, but it does work, at least from 9.2 to 4.x.

There may be some exceptions, however I haven't encountered any yet. It even works with Fantasy Life which had an different kind of save system (for a cart at least).

14. genericuser

genericuser GBAtemp Regular

Apr 5, 2015
    If you have n3ds and you want to buy something from the eshop (eg by using NTR CFW), I think linked does have the advantage that the purchase will appear in emunand without any extra steps. I haven't tried this though.