Question Lets get this straight with emuNAND and sysNAND with the new 9.0.0 update

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by lovebirdlover, Sep 11, 2019.

1. lovebirdlover
    OP

lovebirdlover Member

Newcomer
    Oct 29, 2018
    United States
    Ca
    FW 9.0.0 breaks cartridge support. So im on 8.1.0 on both sys and emu.

I will be safe updating to 9.0.0 on sysNAND but still can load my emu on 8.1.0 and be fine? Then when a new atmosphere is compatible with 9.0.0, I can just update my emu with choi and restore my cart usage?

2. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    It does not break anything. It updates GC firmware (for the second time).
    You will be safe, but you won't be able to use gamecards if you update the GC reader. So yes, exactly what you said.

3. Slim45

Slim45 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 6, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I wonder why it updates gc reader?
    Will have a nand backup restore the gc reader if updated?

4. PikachuR77

PikachuR77 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 6, 2018
    United States
    Nand backup does not affect the cartridge reader. Apparently ctcaer found a way to downgrade the cartridge slot a while ago, but it seems that hasn't come to fruition yet.

Slim45, Xyphoseos and Ericthegreat like this.
  5. Basketto

Basketto GBAtemp Regular

Jun 25, 2019
    Australia
    Seems pretty staight forward. Nintendo is trying to make it more challenging for people to run pirated switch games. As for wether a downgrade will restore the gamecard reader to its previous state idk.

6. tides

tides GBAtemp Regular

Apr 2, 2013
    United States
    no? all nintendo is doing is making sure that pirates never buy a switch game

you have to realize that there are people who do buy games and pirates at the same time.

i've seen and met many people who actually buys and owns games that they pirated because they really enjoyed it.

in fact there are many consumer studies that have report findings of people who use piracy to decide if they want to buy a game or not, simply because devs stopped providing demos since the early 2000

but yea, nintendo is doing their best to make sure that you never buy another switch game once u pirate a game

Last edited by tides, Sep 12, 2019
    thaikhoa likes this.
  7. Vendo232

Vendo232 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 14, 2013
    United States
    [ speculation ] they updated GC probably due to Witcher 3 , Link or Overwatch games. we might start to see larger cards than 15GB?

8. Basketto

Basketto GBAtemp Regular

Jun 25, 2019
    Australia
    Yes... because god forbid pirates give nintendo money lol. Nintendo hate that. Do you want me to find you articles or videos from multiple sources stating exactly what i just said? What you stated makes absolutely zero sense because pirates can still play cartridges with official firmware :P. How on earth did you come up with that seriously.. Nintendo making an update to prevent people buying their games roflllll.

9. Heichart

Heichart GBAtemp Regular

Apr 18, 2010
    Brazil
    Burajiru
    Buying digital games is a thing, don't forget that.

10. tides

tides GBAtemp Regular

Apr 2, 2013
    United States
    yup u can still access the eshop after u get banned

11. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    you won't be safe updating to 9.0.0 at all. do that and your fucked

12. Homer0815

Homer0815 Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 9, 2019
    Germany
    Everithing is working fine. Playing Mario Kart online on 9.0 Sysnand & Cardridge and Grandia 2 nsp on 8.1 Emunand in flightmode.
    Good games are worth buying them, but sometimes I want to try them out first.
    Games like Zelda you can buy blindfolded.

pbb76 likes this.
  13. pbb76

pbb76 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 4, 2009
    I updated to 9 too and everything is fine in sysnand. I did turn off AutoRCM to do the update though. Do you use SXOS and if so, are you booting into it now using the jig instead of autorcm?

Thanks!

14. pustal

pustal Koalafied member.

Jul 19, 2011
    Portugal
    The Matrix
    I'm a bit out of the loop. I also have a emuNAND config. If I upgrade my emuNAND I loose the ability to run cartridges, right? But I take it won't affect my sysNAND if I don't use a CFW with it, no?

Also is this for Atmosphere alone or SX OS is also affected?

Last edited by pustal, Sep 13, 2019
  15. Heichart

Heichart GBAtemp Regular

Apr 18, 2010
    Brazil
    Burajiru
    So this fictional person has a switch, updated to 9.0, is a pirate, is banned and want to buy a physical game to play. This person can buy the game physical as he/she can't play online anyways, and play the pirated version.

Last edited by Heichart, Sep 13, 2019
  16. mrdude

mrdude GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 11, 2015
    There's NO games out yet that need a cartridge update, in fact I've not even seen a game that requires v8.1.0 keys yet - all the ones I've tested all use 8.0.1 and lower. It's kind of pointless updating, unless you need to go online for some reason on your sysnand. If using emunand, it's not an issue if you update as you can convert all your cartridge based games to nsp dumps and still be able to play them.
    Just wait, until SXOS, Atmosphere or whatever CFW you are using gets supported.

17. Homer0815

Homer0815 Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 9, 2019
    Germany
    Jig and Hekate 5.01/Nyx to Switch between OFW Sysnand and Atmosphere 0.93 Emunand

pbb76 likes this.
  18. pbb76

pbb76 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 4, 2009
    Do you know if it works with SXOS using the jig too?

19. Vendo232

Vendo232 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 14, 2013
    United States
    works with SXOS 2.8 and sysnand 9.0 with the jig, although yesterday we were playing MK8 and I was not able to sync detached joycon on emunand 8.1 , maybe not related.

Last edited by Vendo232, Sep 13, 2019
  20. pbb76

pbb76 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 4, 2009
    Thank you! I didn't want to reboot and get a black screen or something. So... jig in and + vol button?

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted