Gaming Legacy of Ys: Books I & II

Edragon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Legacy of Ys: Books I & II is currently scheduled for a US release next week on February 24, 2009.
Is it good?

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Looks like another nostalgic gamers dream come true, I belive this was for GBA or something? Once upon a time.
hate2.gif

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edragon said:
Legacy of Ys: Books I & II is currently scheduled for a US release next week on February 24, 2009.
Is it good?
The original PC Engine/Tubografx versions were though I am not at all sure if played both, I know I played and finished one and it was good but may be a little dated today. Reviews haven't been too gleaming for the remakes but I can't see how they messed up the games too much.

Don't think it was ever intended for GBA but the original games are on VC.

jayminer

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well, the PC-Engine Ys games are far from the original ones! The first Ys game was released for the NEC PC-8801 (in 1987) and it was ported to MSX2, FM7, Master System, DOS, Aplle IIGS, NES and a lot more platforms. The PC-Engine games was actually developed by Hudson under a License from Falcom, and they are alot (imho) better than the older versions.

I grew up with the Master System version of Ys and I still love the Ys series, but I briefly tried the japanese Ys II for the DS and I must say it was kinda crappy :/ felt very rushed.
frown.gif

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Oh right I read somewhere it was on GBA but it was months ago and I was probably tired.
Either way I think it is another rpg I could do without since it looks a bit 'old-school'. There's so many RPGs for DS now I only bother playing the super hyped up or the one's I like beforehand or I will be here for the rest of my life.
gba.gif

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GreatFox said:
CreX said:
What kind of games are they? RPG with over world and random turn based battles?

No.
Ys' are action RPG's. Next time, use Google or YouTube

Why? Is discussion no longer acceptable in a discussion board?
rolleyes.gif

Anyway, I look forward to tinkering with the games. I never really got a chance to play through much of either game, and I know a few of my friends have always spoken highly of them.

Kinda crazy how the DS was once almost totally barren of RPGs, and now it's the system for the genre.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GreatFox said:
irpacynot said:
rolleyes.gif
Of course not, you just get information much faster on your own.

A lot like masturbation.

I don't want to go too far off topic, but in order to discuss things, there has to be give and take. Otherwise, why bother coming to this board at all? Let's just all hang out on the search engine.

I think he/she was perhaps just trying to see if his/her interest in the game would be piqued by discussing it with others.
wink.gif

Ishidori

Trophies
XP
Country
I love Y's saga, though i only played the Origin (PC) the prequel of the books I &II, Oath in felghana (III) and almost finish the Ark of Napishtim (VI). Y's I & II have a PC version too (Y's eternal) but frankly the battle system is crap, just run into your enemy. Now with the use of the stylus is a least playable, also can use the pad.

Still a little bit rusty this day, but if you like the olds Legend of Zelda give a try. Critics say is no a Must play it, but is a decent game.

CreX

Trophies
Website
backloggery.com
XP
Country
GreatFox said:
irpacynot said:
rolleyes.gif

Of course not, you just get information much faster on your own.
Okey.. they whats the point of a forum? I thought that was about ask and tell, discussions and so on.
nyanya.gif

QUOTE(Ishidori @ Feb 19 2009, 03:23 PM)
I love Y's saga, though i only played the Origin (PC) the prequel of the books I &II, Oath in felghana (III) and almost finish the Ark of Napishtim (VI). Y's I & II have a PC version too (Y's eternal) but frankly the battle system is crap, just run into your enemy. Now with the use of the stylus is a least playable, also can use the pad.

Still a little bit rusty this day, but if you like the olds Legend of Zelda give a try. Critics say is no a Must play it, but is a decent game.
Thanks.. gonna check these titles out atleast.

War

Take it easy~
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
I think pyscoblaster wrote up a review of it a while ago... he and Noitora were working on a translation project, but they stopped once they heard it was being localized. I think I saw another review that gave it like a 7 or so, so... I dunno. Probably because it's an under-appreciated outdated game.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I HEARD they were terrible, but i have no first hand experience. From what ive seen, it looks like Chrono Trigger, which I liked. So...

Goshogun1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I played the import for a while, (quit when I heard it was being localized) and wasn't impressed by the graphical style they chose. Some of the monsters and characters looked nice, but the 3D maps looks kinda shabby. Being sold individually I would be hesitant, but because the US release is on one cart, I think its more worthwhile. It's highly recommended if only for the music alone.

Having played the PC engine version at least 5 times through, I still look forward to playing this incarnation.

GreatFox

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
BortzANATOR said:
I HEARD they were terrible, but i have no first hand experience. From what ive seen, it looks like Chrono Trigger, which I liked. So...

Ys is nothing like Chrono Trigger. Ys is action-RPG, Chrono Trigger is not.
I suggest trying Ys - The Ark of Napishtim if you have chance, since it is one of the few localized Ys'.

As a side note, Ys is cult classic.

Ishidori

Trophies
XP
Country
GreatFox said:
BortzANATOR said:

Ys is nothing like Chrono Trigger. Ys is action-RPG, Chrono Trigger is not.
I suggest trying Ys - The Ark of Napishtim if you have chance, since it is one of the few localized Ys'.

As a side note, Ys is cult classic.

Yeah! Ark of Napishtim easily is the best of the serie follow for the Oath of Felghana and has been release on PS2 and PSP for US. Don't be so harsh with the game (Legacy of ...), at least is playable, ok is not a Phantom Hourglass, just let's wait until the US release.

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Solid conversions of Ys 1&2 Eternal Complete, if you ask me. The 3D is kind of..eh, but it's fast, the music is phenomenal and it's Ys. Can't go wrong with that.

Also, D-pad and buttons > Stylus. For me, anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Hilarious :rofl2: