• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Leftist Media Brags about Lying about Trump Tax Cuts

SG854

Hail Mary
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
So a guy in the far left media brags about how he mislead people on Trump tax cuts making it seem like people are paying more in taxes because their tax refunds are down. Which effective tax rate rather then refund is a better measure at how much you pay in taxes. Vox admitting they lied.

Nobody likes to give themselves credit for this kind of messaging success, but progressive groups did a really good job of convincing people that Trump raised their taxes when the facts say a clear majority got a tax cut.

— Matthew Yglesias

https://www.dailywire.com/news/45794/medias-terrible-power-summed-one-statistic-michael-j-knowles

He mislead people not because he cares about what may or may not benefit people, so that they have more money in their pockets to spend on things. Which may depend on different situations. He mislead people because he just hates Trump and wants people to hate him.

The media lying is getting out of hand now. From Trump Russia Conspiracy Theory, to saying people are paying more in taxes. It’s getting ridiculous.

Last edited by SG854,
Reactions: the_leg

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States

A lower tax refund means you are paying more in taxes throughout the year that aren't being returned to you. You're not fooling anybody by saying, "your tax refund went DOWN, your taxes didn't go UP!" For all intents and purposes, it's the same thing. Less money in your pocket, more of it going to the massive tax cuts for the corporate sector.

The average refund is down 17% now that Trump's tax reform is active.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/02/22/irs-tax-refunds-2019-1207283

Furthermore, twice as many companies are now paying zero in taxes:

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/ta...aying-zero-taxes-under-trump-tax-plan-n993046

Last edited by Xzi,

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All I know is, for the last 5-6 years I’ve owed the IRS a modest amount each year. Less than a thousand, more than five hundred, every year. This year, no changes in my withholding, no changes in income, no changes in # of dependents, etc. And this year, I got a $165 return. I’ll take it.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

A lower tax refund means you are paying more in taxes throughout the year that aren't being returned to you. You're not fooling anybody by saying, "your tax refund went DOWN, your taxes didn't go UP!" For all intents and purposes, it's the same thing. Less money in your pocket, more of it going to the massive tax cuts for the corporate sector.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/ta...aying-zero-taxes-under-trump-tax-plan-n993046
I'm not saying you're wrong, but you're only looking at one side of the equation. If less is being withheld, that means less returned right? Although yes, corporate tax shelters should be outlawed.

SG854

Hail Mary
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the

I know a lot of people saying they benefited from tax cuts. 80% of Americans benefited.

Tax refunds isn’t a good measure in if you are paying more in taxes. Because a refund is your own money you overpaid in taxes. And they are just returning it to you. Effective tax rate is a better measure. If your withholdings are less because of lower taxes, then your refund will be less because they are withholding less money you paid for taxes.

https://taxfoundation.org/tax-refunds-tax-cuts/
Don’t Judge Your Taxes by Your Refund

But a tax refund is adjustable, you can adjust your withholdings a for a bigger refund or a bigger pay check.

cots

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, it's basically the same thing as the so-called "manufactured crisis at the border" the Liberals said people were making up. Two months later look at the headlines on their bigoted news sites - they now admit it's a crisis and something needs to be done, but blame Trump for not doing anything. I wonder who has been the ones holding back Trumps hand every time he tries to do something? Liberal logic, I just can't grasp it.

Reactions: Fugelmir

Fugelmir

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I would love my government to give corporate tax cuts outside green initiatives. Give an incentive to keep our industry local. Lucky Americans.

SG854

Hail Mary
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
All I know is, for the last 5-6 years I’ve owed the IRS a modest amount each year. Less than a thousand, more than five hundred, every year. This year, no changes in my withholding, no changes in income, no changes in # of dependents, etc. And this year, I got a $165 return. I’ll take it.
See you benefitted from the tax cuts.

So if you combine the about $1,000-500 you usually owed, plus the $165 return, that’s about $1,165 (just using 1,000 for example) you got extra from tax cuts. Makes no sense that your paying more if your effective tax rate went down even if your refund went down. Some people’s refund might go up like in your case.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...sing-under-the-new-tax-law-heres-how-to-tell/

Last edited by SG854,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, it's basically the same thing as the so-called "manufactured crisis at the border" the Liberals said people were making up. Two months later look at the headlines on their bigoted news sites - they now admit it's a crisis and something needs to be done, but blame Trump for not doing anything. I wonder who has been the ones holding back Trumps hand every time he tries to do something? Liberal logic, I just can't grasp it.
Are you hearing yourself? "They said Trump was manufacturing a crisis...two months later, there's suddenly a crisis!" That's what tends to happen when you tear-gas asylum seekers and threaten to do massive damage to the economy by closing the border.

I know a lot of people saying they benefited from tax cuts. 80% of Americans benefited.
This is literally propaganda, the "tax foundation" is a conservative think tank, not an independent news organization. When you see a statistic that unbalanced it should be a red flag to check your sourcing. How are 80% of Americans benefitting when the average refund is down nearly 20%?

Last edited by Xzi,

SG854

Hail Mary
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Are you hearing yourself? "They said Trump was manufacturing a crisis...two months later, there's suddenly a crisis!" That's what tends to happen when you tear-gas asylum seekers and threaten to do massive damage to the economy by closing the border.

This is literally propaganda, the "tax foundation" is a conservative think tank, not an independent news organization. When you see a statistic that unbalanced it should be a red flag to check your sourcing. How are 80% of Americans benefitting when the average refund is down nearly 20%?
I keep saying that a refund is not a good measure to see if your tax liability went down, it’s effective tax rate. I even linked an article from cbs news.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...sing-under-the-new-tax-law-heres-how-to-tell/

This guy who is a lefty and not a rich corporation benefited from the tax cuts. His effective tax rate went down 13%. The comments on the YouTube vid are hilarious.

Last edited by SG854,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I keep saying that a refund is not a good measure to see if your tax liability went down, it’s effective tax rate.
Again man, I don't know who you think you're fooling. On average, Americans have less money in their pockets after this tax season compared to tax seasons prior. It's as simple as that. Just so we're clear: that doesn't mean nobody's tax rate went down, and it doesn't mean nobody managed to snag a larger refund, but your average joe six-pack had 17% of their refund taken away to be given to some CEO instead.

I honestly don't know how anybody expected this to play out any different. Trump didn't touch the middle-class/working class tax rate, but he slashed the corporate tax rate by 50%. All that money given away as corporate welfare has to come from somewhere, thus the average refund decrease.

Fugelmir

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Single Filers Tax Rate

FEDERAL TAX BRACKETS 2018 – 2019
$0 – $9,525 10%
$9,526 – $38,700 12%
$38,701 – $82,500 22%
$82,501 – $157,500 24%
$157,501 – $200,000 32%
$200,001 – $500,000 35%
$500,001+ 37%

FEDERAL TAX BRACKETS 2014 – 2015
10% $0 to $9,225
15% $9,225 to $37,450
25% $37,450 to $90,750
28% $90,750 to $189,300
33% $189,300 to $411,500
35% $411,500 to $413,200
39.6% $413,200+ $464,850+

It's interesting to see the way the Trump administration is shifting around the tax burden. He certainly does seem to be cutting personal income taxes down slightly for the middle class and large earners. I can see why people are getting money back when they were charged a small fee before.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States

More to the math than "you're paying more" .. Exemptions, exceptions, credits. They've all changed...

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
More to the math than "you're paying more" .. Exemptions, exceptions, credits. They've all changed...
Precisely, it's all just an attempt to obfuscate things more for your average taxpayer in hopes they won't realize they're getting fleeced. The numbers Fugelmir posted above aren't really the effective tax rates. Not only is the average refund down, but fewer tax returns resulted in any refund this year as well:

USAToday said:
The share of returns getting a refund is also slightly lower than a year ago. The IRS doesn't offer figures about what people owe.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...lls-burden-some-americans-budgets/2909854002/

USAToday said:
In some ways, Stephanie Harris is one of the luckier ones. The 53-year-old actuary in Pittsburgh is still getting a refund, but it’s about half of what it usually is. Even so, she is one of the five percent of filers that the Tax Policy Center estimated would end up paying more in federal taxes following the changes to the tax law.

“In the past five years, my effective tax rate has been as low as 6.13 percent and as a high as 8.43 percent,” she said. “This year, my effective tax rate was 9.38 percent, the highest it’s ever been.”

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Precisely, it's all just an attempt to obfuscate things more for your average taxpayer in hopes they won't realize they're getting fleeced. The numbers Fugelmir posted above aren't really the effective tax rates. Not only is the average refund down, but fewer tax returns resulted in any refund this year as well:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...lls-burden-some-americans-budgets/2909854002/
Actually, had I not gotten married? I'd be paying the IRS for the first time...

Reactions: Xzi

Fugelmir

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

But even if the average refund is down, it lurks to another problem. Namely, if the economy is prosperous, as key recent events seem to substantiate, people are earning more money and therefore being taxed more and receiving less of a refund.

My company's headquartered in the US and I know our salaries are up across the board as a result. I don't benefit much because of our carbon tax, but it's important to note.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
But even if the average refund is down, it lurks to another problem. Namely, if the economy is prosperous, as key recent events seem to substantiate, people are earning more money and therefore being taxed more and receiving less of a refund.
Taxes don't automatically go up as a result of the economy doing well. It's a result of the new tax code implementation. I understand people are apprehensive to call out Republicans on a net tax increase for the average citizen, but that's exactly what happened here. And we won't even see any benefit as a result, it's not like the money is going to pay off the national debt or something like that instead.

cots

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The Liberal media stated that there was no crisis at the border and Trump was making the entire thing up. They didn't say he was creating an up-and-coming crisis, like you claim. They said he was lying and that there was no problem. Two months later;

“The U.S. Immigration System May Have Reached a Breaking Point,” a New York Times story read Wednesday, detailing the unprecedented problems at the border. “It was never like this before,” the article states. “The migrants come now in the middle of the night or in the bright light of day. Men and women arrive by the hundreds, caked with dirt, with teens and toddlers in tow.” The story claims that a “breaking point” has been reached in America’s immigration system, which is no longer able to cope with the unseen levels of illegal immigration.

It seems Congress changed their minds after listening to Chief Patrol Agent Rodolfo Karisch's testimony earlier this week. I mean, it's good that the Liberals are finally realizing that there is a problem with illegal border crossings, but they try to spin it like Trump caused the problem when it's been contributed to greatly by their policies (sanctuary cities, free *emergency* health care, food and housing for illegals) and their inaction. They need to take their heads out of their asses, stop blaming Trump for everything that happens and do something. They try to play it like the people who overstay their visas are a bigger problem, but fail to employ policies to kick people out who do overstay.

I say kick them all out. I don't care if they overstayed their Visas after coming over a bridge in a car, over the ocean in an airplane or crossed illegally in the Desert where there was no wall to stop them or slow them down (even NBC News admits that illegals are going further into the desert to cross the border where there is no wall or barriers and those things have made it harder for them to enter - hence them walking further to avoid them).

So you now ask a Liberal if there is a problem at the border and they answer is "yes" whereas two months ago there was no problem and it was all some liars fantasy. Maybe they are starting to realize that there are only a limited amount of food stamps to go around.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

See you benefitted from the tax cuts.

So if you combine the about $1,000-500 you usually owed, plus the $165 return, that’s about $1,165 (just using 1,000 for example) you got extra from tax cuts. Makes no sense that your paying more if your effective tax rate went down even if your refund went down. Some people’s refund might go up like in your case.

I'm no expert in tax law, but I received a bigger refund this year than last year. I'm not sure why, but I'm not complaining.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The Liberal media stated that there was no crisis at the border and Trump was making the entire thing up. They didn't say he was creating an up-and-coming crisis, like you claim. They said he was lying and that there was no problem.
Because there was no problem two months ago. Now suddenly immigration services are overwhelmed because of changes in policy made by the Trump administration. Not to mention blatant disregard for the law in the handling of asylum seekers. It's the literal definition of a manufactured crisis. When you threaten to stop taking asylum seekers and threaten to close the border, it makes people panic. Not only illegal immigrants.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-