Hardware Left side of any headphones not working on 3DS

Torsomuted

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My Old Original 3DS's headphone jack seems to be damaged, The left side of any heaphones or speakers is not working on my 3DS.

I opened up my 3DS and I'm wondering if I can resolder the Headphone Jack and how?
If soldering is necessary, what diameter is recommended for the solder?
Here are some photos:
20230118_183308.jpg
20230118_183215.jpg
20230118_183224.jpg

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can get replacement parts from AliExpress, but can't guarantee it'll last the same.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255800228737824.html

Reminder that Chinese New Year is in a week or 2 (and some companies have already stopped operations entirely), so you're gonna be waiting for a LONG time if you order from Chinese sellers in general.

Before replacing, make sure to test continuity with a multimeter and dummy 3.5mm audio jack to check if your audio jack really is messed up and not the audio amp. Something like this would work: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/cui-devices/SP-3544G/9486648

Diagrams:
https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-ab2c68a32f2e5ece753428fc7b400b00-c
https://www.petervis.com/electronics/4-pole-jack/4-pole-jack-wiring.jpg

When desoldering, heat up the pad, make sure it's hot enough, and lift GENTLY. If it feels like it doesn't want to let go, apply more heat. Make sure it's not too hot, and it's not too cold. If you don't heat it up properly and lift anyway, you risk damaging the pad and having to do a much more difficult repair.

Last edited by master801,
Reactions: BigOnYa

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can get replacement parts from AliExpress, but can't guarantee it'll last the same.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255800228737824.html

Reminder that Chinese New Year is in a week or 2 (and some companies have already stopped operations entirely), so you're gonna be waiting for a LONG time if you order from Chinese sellers in general.

Before replacing, make sure to test continuity with a multimeter and dummy 3.5mm audio jack to check if your audio jack really is messed up and not the audio amp. Something like this would work: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/cui-devices/SP-3544G/9486648

When desoldering, heat up the pad, make sure it's hot enough, and lift GENTLY. If it feels like it doesn't want to let go, apply more heat. Make sure it's not too hot, and it's not too cold. If you don't heat it up properly and lift anyway, you risk damaging the pad and having to do a much more difficult repair.

New Year is actually 3 days away.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The left side of any heaphones or speakers is not working on my 3DS.
You mean sound doesn't come out from the left channel, when using both headphones and the 3ds's speaker? If so, changing the headphone probably won't fix it, since whatever that's causing it is affecting them both. Maybe the sound chip (or dac, if the 3ds has any)?

Torsomuted

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You mean sound doesn't come out from the left channel, when using both headphones and the 3ds's speaker? If so, changing the headphone probably won't fix it, since whatever that's causing it is affecting them both. Maybe the sound chip (or dac, if the 3ds has any)?
The speakers on the 3DS work, Its just the headphones.
Post automatically merged:

Have you tested the headphones on another source? They do go bad and one side will crap out on you.
I tested them on my PC and Phone, I can confirm that its just the 3DS

Before replacing, make sure to test continuity with a multimeter and dummy 3.5mm audio jack to check if your audio jack really is messed up and not the audio amp. Something like this would work:

Diagrams:

Thank you for the informative answer!
Just a question about the continuity test, should I replicate it like this illustration?:
Capture.PNG

If that's the case, would I have to plug the male dummy into the female headphone jack on the 3DS?
Can I also ground the negative probe on any metal or does it have to be grounded on the dummy?

Last edited by Torsomuted,

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The speakers on the 3DS work, Its just the headphones.

I tested them on my PC and Phone, I can confirm that its just the 3DS

Thank you for the informative answer!
Just a question about the continuity test, should I replicate it like this illustration?:
View attachment 348145
If that's the case, would I have to plug the male dummy into the female headphone jack on the 3DS?
Can I also ground the negative probe on any metal or does it have to be grounded on the dummy?
I'm not entirely sure about the 3DS headphone jack specifically (some jacks use 3 contacts - left, right and ground; some use 4 contacts - left, right, ground, mic), but that should work okay.

Make sure it's plugged in because headphone jacks usually have a switch inside to switch between speakers and headphones.

But since you said the speakers work and not the headphones, high chances are it's the jack. But the test will verify if the headphone jack really is broken. Either way, you'll have to spend some money.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro