League of Legends now a professional sport?

Xarsah16

GBATemp's Official Village Dingus/Idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So, according to articles from Gamnesia and IGN - League of Legends was just legally accepted as a sport by the United States Government - placing it in the same category as basketball, baseball, football, soccer, etc... actual real sports.

What do you think of this? Personally, I believe it is incredibly stupid. Videogaming is either just a hobby, or an industry depending on which side you're looking at it from.

I never liked MMO games- but to just single out one and not include others like WoW seems really strange to me. I'm also wondering what's becoming of the US Government. XD

Sources:
http://www.gamnesia.com/news/us-gov...Gamnesia)&utm_content=FaceBook#When:21:28:00Z
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/12/us-government-recognizes-league-of-legends-lsc-as-sport

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I never liked MMO games- but to just single out one and not include others like WoW seems really strange to me.

The difference between WoW and LoL is that one is an MMO and one is a MOBA - two very different genres entirely. One requires strategic thinking and teamwork, one both require you to have no life - guess which one is the sport. :yay:

In any case, this isn't the first time something like this happens, really. Starcraft is practically Korea's national sport since the day it was released. Unlike in other Asian countries, it is not the social standing or occupation that determines whether the father of a maiden accepts you into the family and allows you to propose to her - it's your position on the Battle.Net ladder and whether or not you can beat him 1/1 on Lost Temple. If you no prey cybersport, you disgrace to famiry. ;O;

Xarsah16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
The difference between WoW and LoL is that one is an MMO and one is a MOBA - two very different genres entirely. One requires strategic thinking and teamwork, one requires you to have no life - guess which one is which. :yay:

I've seen both consume friend's lives in equally the same way - so I don't think there's a difference in that regard XD

Xarsah16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I dunno... for people so seem to rankle over its inclusion, I'd suppose you would have to also be bothered by chess being considered a sport as well.

Unless you're cool with inconsistent beliefs. You cool with that?

Not really. Sitting there and exercising your brain is different than physically getting out and hitting a ball or passing it to your team while running to the hoop at the other end of the court. Chess should have remained just a world famous board game - sport is taking it a little too far.

So I'm guessing this will boost the public's perception of professional gaming from incredibly pathetic to pretty pathetic.
Yeah, that sums it up nicely.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really. Sitting there and exercising your brain is different than physically getting out and hitting a ball or passing it to your team while running to the hoop at the other end of the court. Chess should have remained just a world famous board game - sport is taking it a little too far.

Yeah, that sums it up nicely.
In that case, what are you saying not really to? You're agreeing that neither LoL nor Chess are sports.

:huh:

As for what constitutes a sport, I've seen opinions divided over the necessity of physical activity and the necessity of competition. One of the problems of using physical activity as a standard is what constitutes the threshold of a sport and a non-sport--and is that threshold arbitrary? If so, is that even a good measure of what a sport ought to be considered?

Bobbyloujo

I am a millipede, I am amazing.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As Celice said, you really have to define 'sport'. The first definition on Dictionary.com states that a sport is "an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess". However, if you look at the more general definitions you'll see definitions like "diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime." In this case, there is no need for physical activity.

The most general definitions of 'sport' don't require there to be any physical activity. The idea that 'sport' implies physical activity may just be a connotation.

Bobbyloujo

I am a millipede, I am amazing.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is from the same government who said Pizza was a vegetable, they can't be taken seriously anymore.
They said that the tomato sauce on the pizza counts as a vegetable not the entire pizza itself. They said this so that pizza could still be served in school. I don't know about other schools, but the "healthy" crap they served at my high school was awful. Kids aren't going to want to eat nasty food. Unhealthy food is better than no food at all.

Reactions: Gahars
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can kind of see why they would class this as a sport , especially knowing how big things like starcraft are in certain nations. I don't understand why people are hating or "losing faith in humanity" due to this , there are many sports such as the above mentioned Chess or extreme ironing that you wouldn't naturally associate with sports, this doesn't ruin sports.

Sports can be broken down into categories , such as Extreme / Team / Water ect so I don't understand why there can't be a video game/interactive media sub category?

Reactions: porkiewpyne

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
someone who plays LOL is not going to get a blowjob from a hot top model.

images

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I don't trust the free ones, but ipvanish I've used for couple years now, n like
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I wonder if they could get CPUs to run that hot then use the heat to power a steam turbine to power the CPUs....
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good idea, or at least power the GPU
    It's not the movies or games downloads that I would worry about, like breaking into networks, downloading encrypted things, spying on network traffic. I have seen so many "Top Secret" seals on files when I was a kid
    I was obsessed with finding UFOs, a surprising amount of US files where stashed on computers in other countries, China back in the early 90s omg sooo much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that crazy, I've never tried hack into anything, I just pirate, and my ISP have send me 3-4 letters, so had to VPN it
    Ship to ship communication software for the Navy although without access to the encrypting chips it was mostly useless
    I bet now a 4090 could probably crack it? Hmmm maybe not even back then I'm pretty sure they where using like 1024 bit encryption
    Yayyy the one set finished 324GBs lol
    Compressed....
    I wonder how many years that would have taken on a 56K modem lol
    18000 hours lol
    750 days lol
    +1
    So Internet is very much faster now lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Time Remaining- 2 years, 9 girlfriends, 6 hairstyles, please standby..."
    +1
    I remember one time I downloaded like a 500MB ISO file on 56K and that literally took like 2 days
    I had some sort of resume thing, I remember the software had chains
    Damned if I can't remember.the name though
    Some sort of download management app
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    hey psi
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i call your girl lyndon the way she b on my johnson
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: i call your girl lyndon the way she b on my johnson