Hatchetball

RepititionRedundancyRepitition
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Liezah said:
Hatchetball said:
Anyone buying a computer, ever: Do not buy from Best Buy. They lie about warrenties and screw you out of money. You overpay for the computer. You overpay for ANY services. I'd recommend not ever buying any electronic from Best Buy. I've seen it thousands of times.

You can buy it from Best Buy.. just don't get the warranty? I think the better warranties are the ones from the Manufacturers anyways. It is true that Best Buy doesn't have the best policies and has crap services (that you can probably do yourself). BUT they do have good deals on stuff. So I must disagree with you Hatchetball.

Oh and Pretty nice list there Rydian :3
Of course you can buy from Best Buy. It's just highly suggested you do not as:
Software can simply be found online.
Hardware... do I even need to say how expensive it is there?
laugh.gif

Warranties are a joke. Might as well just hand that money to a homeless guy if you're going to waste it.
Prices are overpriced. Even Walmart is cheaper - regardless of variety.

As a former employee of Best Buy I know what they do and even I advise people not to go there. They will mess up your computer on purpose just to make you have to pay them more for something you JUST bought. It's a rather sad business. You go in for a "free" virus scan, or anything, and you end up paying as much as your computer costs to replace a part that didn't need replaced. You can defend the company all you want but you're truely just leading people into con after con.

Disagree, that's fine, I respect your choices. Just trying to help the OP.

Rydian is correct. Brand is pointless. Saying the cheapest models aren't stable however... is not needed as that is not correct. The price has nothing to do with the parts being stable. As well, tech support has nothing to do with wasting your money on a warrenty. It's not hard to google computer problems...
Brand differences are basically the look of the computer. That's pretty much it.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Hatchetball said:
The price has nothing to do with the parts being stable.Anybody thats had a cheap PSU die and take out the MB/GPU would slap you for saying that.

In cases where there's an unwavering baseline of quality that's tightly controlled (such as with processors) it doesn't matter, but for many parts where you have many manufacturers in competition price-wise, many of them cut corners in an attempt to lower their prices. There are places you do NOT cut corners, such as the PSU. Price isn't the only indicator, but when you see a $20 PSU that claims it's 1000W, you know it's a piece of shit.

Hatchetball said:
As well, tech support has nothing to do with wasting your money on a warrenty.I'm not talking the warranty from the place that sold it to you, I'm talking the manufacturer one.

QUOTE(Hatchetball @ Mar 15 2011, 04:35 PM)
It's not hard to google computer problems...
The entire existence of tech support would like to have a word with you.
tongue.gif

EDIT: Correction, meant to say 1000W, not 100W.

Liezah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hatchetball said:
Of course you can buy from Best Buy. It's just highly suggested you do not as:
Software can simply be found online.
Hardware... do I even need to say how expensive it is there?
laugh.gif

Warranties are a joke. Might as well just hand that money to a homeless guy if you're going to waste it.
Prices are overpriced. Even Walmart is cheaper - regardless of variety.

As a former employee of Best Buy I know what they do and even I advise people not to go there. They will mess up your computer on purpose just to make you have to pay them more for something you JUST bought. It's a rather sad business. You go in for a "free" virus scan, or anything, and you end up paying as much as your computer costs to replace a part that didn't need replaced. You can defend the company all you want but you're truely just leading people into con after con.

Disagree, that's fine, I respect your choices. Just trying to help the OP.

Rydian is correct. Brand is pointless. Saying the cheapest models aren't stable however... is not needed as that is not correct. The price has nothing to do with the parts being stable. As well, tech support has nothing to do with wasting your money on a warrenty. It's not hard to google computer problems...
Brand differences are basically the look of the computer. That's pretty much it.

Lol, That's true Hatchetball! But Best Buy can be that Go-to when you can't wait for your stuff to come through the mail. XD And I know that they're tech support is Bogus since they don't even help fix hardware that isn't from them. AND the fact that they just call the manufacturer to "fix" a computer is bogus too. I can't deny those facts but they do have some nice items for sale and stuff :3. But I guess your background is more credible since you know what happens behind the scenes.

Anyways.. On a different note, I totally drool on when I try to make my own computer (like online where you choose the specs). Totally making my dream machine.
tongue.gif
But I'd never buy it since I'd have to cut of a limb or sell an organ to afford it.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Rydian said:
Hatchetball said:
tongue.gif
Actually it's not hard to google computer problems. 99% of all computer problems has been reported to some forum or another in the past, so finding that problem is not hard. Finding a solution on the other hand... now that's an entirely different story.

RNorthex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Berthenk said:
RNorthex said:
HP? i reeeeally don't recommend thatt And why is that? read below
so far from my experience dell notebooks are the best And again, why exactly? from my experience and seen tests
what u should look for imo
intel corei7 Wait for Bulldozer or go for a mobile Sandy Bridge. 'Nuff said. agreed somewhat
ati hd card[though geforce is more compatible with intel cpus] Source? Also, why is AMD better than nVidia? amd is not better than nvdia, i don't rly like amd and i myself go for nvidia
preferably the most ramslots available[with the least ram or at least it should run at 1600mhz and be kingston[not kingmax]]RAM speed doesn't mean jack if anything at all, and you'll need a renown brand like Kingston, Corsair, OCZ, etc. told kingston, never really heard of ocz, corsair i never used, kingston is cheap and hq
led blacklit would be good, lcd sucks really hard on notebooks Personal preference. why is that?
1tb winchester[though look out for rpm and tm] Winchester? Never heard of that, and that's usually not a good thing. Also, TM? Besides that, 7200 RPM is scarcely found amongst laptop harddrives. it's not that easy to upgrade at some of them or it's just costy, better to have top now than latter imo, scarcely but found, if not, even an external would do it, has low cache and just 5,4krpm, wouldn't make much difference would it?
if u go legit, a win7, if not, then no os or max freedos And why is that? i prefer not to pay for 1250+USD for an os[that is converted with extra corruption from my country, but even outside that, brand new, it comes at a high price
the maximum usb ports u can possibly get Should OP need any. read below

QUOTE(Originality @ Mar 15 2011, 07:10 PM)
If you go by "what people say", you should never get a HP, Acer, Dell, MSi, Asus or Apple laptop. That just leaves Samsung and Toshiba from the big names. Anybody saying "don't get products" should be ignored outright and banned from the internet for not knowing what they're talking about. yes because kingmax ram is surely better than kingston, enermax better cooler than thermaltake etc

Laptops with Sandy Bridge CPUs are already starting to leak into the market, although the uptake is a bit slow with the whole B2-stepping cockup with the motherboards. Given that B3-stepping motherboards are now being shipped, we should see many more mid-high end laptops running Sandy Bridge CPUs, at least until Bulldozer is out which will be a while yet. AMD Bobcat is highly anticipated for the power saving market and has received good reviews so far.
agreed, that is if he's looking for a gaming laptop, i still think amd is not a really good choice, safer, but lacks the power

For the graphics, there really aren't many laptops that use mid or high end nVidia GPU, just the 330 or 335 for Optimus. That's a good reason to look for AMD graphics instead - seeing HD 5750 or better is quite common in gaming laptops.agreed, said

For the point on RAM, I call B$. No laptop on the market can make use of 1600Mhz RAM. With laptops, size is more important than speed, and most laptops come with 3-4GB of RAM. There is no point in considering what brand of RAM it has because that jacks the price much higher than necessary.sometimes, sometimes not, i can give u 3 bad kingmax 2gb rams while all my kingston rams still work, 1600mhz is a possibility, 1333mhz-1066 is way more common, that is true

Finding a laptop with an LED screen is rare. Don't bother looking specifically for one - just take whatever screen it has.agreed somewhat, one of the last things to consider, but it's still something, i mean after you bought it, u'll be stuck with it prolly

For the HDD, I would stick with whatever it comes with. You can always upgrade it later, but for extra space it's usually better to use externals.at a gaming laptop it's important, i'm aware that it's rare they got good internal hdds, but it's still a good thing to look after

Nearly all laptops on the market come with genuine Windows 7 anyway. No need to say anything there.not rly

USB ports......... why the hell are you giving advice on USB ports? The most I've ever needed is two, or three to charge my phone whilst doing transfers between the other two. Most laptops I see come with 3 or 4. Nobody ever should decide on a laptop simply because it has 1 or 2 more USB ports than another.
if i'm not using it on the run: 1 wireless keyboard and mouse[+1 to charge it], 1-2external drive[1 for sure], 1 razer headphones, and 1 at least i would need to swap between gamepad/graphicstablet - 2 is definately not enough, 3 not rly, 4 are barely, 5-6 would be ideal, that is again if the guy just need the laptop occassionally, it's not a big deal, but if this would be used as a home pc as well, then imo it counts

jumping on my throat is not going to help
plox don't flame
and please read that "imo" sign in the post
it's not for show, it's to say this is not perfect but my preference

Hatchetball

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Hatchetball said:
The price has nothing to do with the parts being stable.Anybody thats had a cheap PSU die and take out the MB/GPU would slap you for saying that.

In cases where there's an unwavering baseline of quality that's tightly controlled (such as with processors) it doesn't matter, but for many parts where you have many manufacturers in competition price-wise, many of them cut corners in an attempt to lower their prices. There are places you do NOT cut corners, such as the PSU. Price isn't the only indicator, but when you see a $20 PSU that claims it's 100W, you know it's a piece of shit.

Hatchetball said:
As well, tech support has nothing to do with wasting your money on a warrenty.I'm not talking the warranty from the place that sold it to you, I'm talking the manufacturer one.

tongue.gif
Parts die. That doesn't mean I should be slapped. Consumers should buy better items, that's none of my concern. If you buy a $20 PSU you get what you paid for. (Crap, prolly)

The manufacturer warranty is just as usless as any warranty most of the time though. If you're getting a high end product you'll want to get a warranty, duh.
I was mearly talking about Best Buy or Walmart or any other electronics store's warranty. They're pretty much a scam as the only thing they will warranty is replacing the product, not fixing the issue. Even then, without a warranty you could get that business to replace your product for free. All they do is write "defective" on a paper, send it to the company, and get another replacement shipped to them. No matter what the issue with the product is... that is what they do with or without a warranty. If anyone has ever taken a computer back to walmart and a worker took it apart in front of you and replaced a component then speak up. (It's never happened and never will)

If I spoke Arab/Indonesian/Chinese, I'd more than happy to talk with the entire tech support community
laugh.gif
but I don't have the need, or the 4 hours on hold to talk to Habib about computer issues. It's faster to just do it yourself. Google = less than a second to load.
Hardware really isn't that big of a deal to replace. You unscrew a few things, unplug what you need to, remove the bad product, and simply replace the bad product.

Anything software related can easily be google'd. Finding the actual answer/solution can be a pain sometimes though.

No need to be rude or hostile.
biggrin.gif

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I'll jump on your throat on 2 points, just because it's fun.

RAM: "The memory controller of a Sandy Bridge CPU is a dual-channel DDR3 unit, capable of speeds of up to 1,333MHz.", quoted from bit-tech. I'll restate: No laptop on the market can make use of 1600Mhz RAM.

USB ports: If you REALLY need extra USB ports, USB hubs are readily available.

I'll also say that OCZ are a very good company when it comes to SSDs, PSUs and RAM, but that doesn't really change anything. The OCZ Vertex 3 is currently the only SSD to make full use of the full 6Gbs SATA III in Sandy Bridge motherboards, whilst others don't really make use of the 5Gbs SATA III that comes with any other motherboard or PCIe SATA III card.

RNorthex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Originality said:
I'll jump on your throat on 2 points, just because it's fun.

RAM: "The memory controller of a Sandy Bridge CPU is a dual-channel DDR3 unit, capable of speeds of up to 1,333MHz.", quoted from bit-tech. I'll restate: No laptop on the market can make use of 1600Mhz RAM.

USB ports: If you REALLY need extra USB ports, USB hubs are readily available.

I'll also say that OCZ are a very good company when it comes to SSDs, PSUs and RAM, but that doesn't really change anything. The OCZ Vertex 3 is currently the only SSD to make full use of the full 6Gbs SATA III in Sandy Bridge motherboards, whilst others don't really make use of the 5Gbs SATA III that comes with any other motherboard or PCIe SATA III card.

than the 1600mhz stuff were probably fake rumors....
i plan not use usb hubs, the possiblity htere yeah...but, clumsy

never really read after OCZ's stuff, are u sure the vertex 3 is the only one that can use the 6gb 3.0 se-atas?
i heard asrock had a mobo compatible as well

I am r4ymond

PFE
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not looking for a super high-tech gaming laptop and that means that I'm not looking for an alienware laptop. Besides, I'm not really a huge computer gamer, just an average one. I don't play computer games that needs to have an absolute, perfect laptop just to run it in High Detail. What I'm looking for is just a laptop that can run games like Alliance of Valiant Arms and League of Legends at an average FPS in which there is hardly any lag. As I've already stated before, I'm looking for a laptop that can run games perfectly fine at low-mid settings.

Hatchetball

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am r4ymond said:
I'm not looking for a super high-tech gaming laptop and that means that I'm not looking for an alienware laptop. Besides, I'm not really a huge computer gamer, just an average one. I don't play computer games that needs to have an absolute, perfect laptop just to run it in High Detail. What I'm looking for is just a laptop that can run games like Alliance of Valiant Arms and League of Legends at an average FPS in which there is hardly any lag. As I've already stated before, I'm looking for a laptop that can run games perfectly fine at low-mid settings.
Ah. Well not sure where you are from but even the local Walmart in my area has decent computer that will do everything you want to do for 300-400.
Just find one with about 3GB-4GB RAM, Windows 7 (not Vista), and you should be fine. They should already come with a decent graphics card.
Desktops are much more manage-able for gaming since you can just replace the parts if something is wrong. Laptops are a bit more complicated to replace parts on, and it's very costly, it's actually cheaper to buy a new laptop than to buy a new motherboard and have a shop replace it. (bout $500 these days)

Just avoid Best Buy. The computers they sell are made of crap parts and they're way overpriced.
Newegg.com if you're wanting to order it online.

I am r4ymond

PFE
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hatchetball said:
I am r4ymond said:
Ah. Well not sure where you are from but even the local Walmart in my area has decent computer that will do everything you want to do for 300-400.
Just find one with about 3GB-4GB RAM, Windows 7 (not Vista), and you should be fine. They should already come with a decent graphics card.
Desktops are much more manage-able for gaming since you can just replace the parts if something is wrong. Laptops are a bit more complicated to replace parts on, and it's very costly, it's actually cheaper to buy a new laptop than to buy a new motherboard and have a shop replace it. (bout $500 these days)

Just avoid Best Buy. The computers they sell are made of crap parts and they're way overpriced.
Newegg.com if you're wanting to order it online.

I see. I understand that laptops aren't the best for gaming. It's just that I want to play computer games when I'm away from my house (EX: going to a friend's house or going to Seattle, Washington to visit relatives

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Hatchetball said:
If you buy a $20 PSU you get what you paid for. (Crap, prolly)
Hatchetball said:
The price has nothing to do with the parts being stable.
unsure.gif

Hatchetball said:
The manufacturer warranty is just as usless as any warranty most of the time though. If you're getting a high end product you'll want to get a warranty, duh.When it's the manufacturer it's not just the warranty, tech support packages are included. The reseller's warranty is generally crap (they just send it back to the original company for a replacement or format it), I'm talking the tech support aspect, which comes from the manufacturer.

Hatchetball said:
Hardware really isn't that big of a deal to replace. You unscrew a few things, unplug what you need to, remove the bad product, and simply replace the bad product.let's say you get a shitty PSU and it dies, taking out your motherboard and GPU. Where are you getting a new motherboard and GPU from? Your own pocket. In addition there's (potentially a lot of) time wasted (where your machine is non-functional), and many warranties require you to pay the shipping to send the product back, which is added cost.

Hatchetball said:
Anything software related can easily be google'd. Finding the actual answer/solution can be a pain sometimes though.Hang around these forums and you'll see people making threads all the time

Ask them why, and most often they'll get angry at you.

Hatchetball said:
No need to be rude or hostile.
biggrin.gif
I was being truthful. you would get slapped (or at least harshly yelled at). Apparently you've never dealt with a cheap PSU taking out other parts when it blows.

QUOTE(Originality @ Mar 15 2011, 05:32 PM)
QUOTE(Rydian @ Mar 15 2011, 09:02 PM)
tongue.gif
Actually it's not hard to google computer problems. 99% of all computer problems has been reported to some forum or another in the past, so finding that problem is not hard. Finding a solution on the other hand... now that's an entirely different story.
There's a difference between being technically hard, and knowing enough to actually do it in the first place. Then there's people who work better if helped in person (like how a video tutorial is more helpful than a plain text one), and whatever other excuse they give you for asking you instead of typing their damn question (or thread title) into google.

Lodis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't expect much more than ''just get a desktop'' or ''laptops can't game'' comments on the majority of these misinformed forums.

I suggest you go here and ask instead.

Yes you will pay a premium for decent gaming performance on a laptop and yes a cheaper desktop will perform a lot better. However, none of that really matters if you want to play a game away from your desk.

D

Deleted User

I missed this thread because of my excessive League of Legends addiction. That said... (5 days playing it so far, give or take).
Avoid Major-Brand-name labels like HP, or Dell. Most of these "manufacturer's" just purchase a barebones system and assemble it.

Very few mainstream companies these days would actually be willing to tell you that they don't make their laptops, they just assemble them
and slap their own brand-name on them. I'd recommend a Toshiba/Samsung/Asus/Sager/Clevo Machine if at all possible.

http://www.xoticpc.com is where I'll be purchasing my next laptop from. Anyway, any of the modern last gen i7 (720/740QM) are capable
of what you want, as well as anything Mobility 5650 or better. In fact, you can get an ES (Engineering Sample) 920XM (2.0-3.2) ghz processor
for around $400.00 if you feel you need extra processing power later, down the road.

I've been visiting the Alienware-M15x forums over at notebook review a lot (the i7-720QM is the PM55 chipset) (shared with the 740/840/940 processors).
Anyway, the guys there pretty much vouch for the quality of these chips saying that with the Throttlestop program (designed by a forum member) and with
adequate cooling they're capable of running at 3.2 Ghz on all 4 cores. (Capable, not recommended).

Most laptops you're looking to purchase aren't going to be very upgradeable, and the CPU/GPU on some laptops (Sager/Clevo) etc (even my M15x) are actually
rather easy to access and replace once you've taken a look at the disassembly/reassembly instructions. That said, anything along the lines of an i5-540M with a
Mobility 5650, or an i7-740QM (2630QM if you need quad-core performance) will suit your needs perfectly.

I am r4ymond

PFE
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got it. I guess I'll buy a Toshiba/Asus-brand laptop. Those i7 processors are a bit expensive aren't they? I just need a processor that's about mid/mid-high and has either a duel or quad core. And for the graphics card, all I want is one that'll run League of Legends on mid-high settings.

QUOTE said:
Spec Requirements for LoL

Minimum System Requirements[1

750 MB hard disk space
2 GHz processor
Windows XP or higher
1 GB RAM
Any DirectX 9.0 capable video card

Recommended System Requirements[1]

750 MB hard disk space
Windows XP or higher
3 GHz processor
1 GB RAM
GeForce 8800 or equivalent video card

I need help with choosing a processor and graphics card that is a bit higher than the 'Recommended System Requirements' above. I don't really know how to pick out processors and graphics cards. All I know how to pick out is the RAM and the HDD, I guess.

I am r4ymond

PFE
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
For the processor's ghz, they're assuming it's an older processor, P4-level or around that. Newer ones don't have to have a high ghz rating to be powerful, so a 1.8ghz Core i5 or something will do just fine.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834131115

Oh, okay. That's a nice-looking laptop there. Haven't seen a Samsung laptop for a while, nor have I been thinking about it. I'm assuming that the NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M is good, is it not? 1 GB of video memory.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay