RELEASE L4T Lakka Switch - now with audio and Vulkan

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by natinusala, May 15, 2019.

1. Trice

Trice GBAtemp Regular

Jan 20, 2009
    Switzerland
    It doesn't matter which CFW or Switch FW version you have, Lakka is an alternative to the regular Switch OS, it doesn't run on top of it.

You need to follow the same steps as everybody else to boot it from an SD card: https://lakka-switch.github.io/documentation/installation.html

joshwaan2k likes this.
  2. joshwaan2k

joshwaan2k GBAtemp Regular

Dec 10, 2004
    Thanks for clearing that up cheers :)

3. Jackson98

Jackson98 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 8, 2017
    Australia
    After a little more testing ;P

N64 runs full speed for 99% games at stock, although Yoshi's Story seems to lag badly even at 2ghz overclock(whenever moving forward). Certain games also automatically close whenever modifying the CPU or GPU clock speeds while playing(possibly to do with the format .z64 as opposed to .n64, still unsure)
    PSP surprised me to a large degree, it runs just perfectly. Out of about 8 games tested 7 run flawless with stock CPU, only God of War seems to require any kind of boost. Castlevania X Chronicles does seem to Crash/Freeze whenever trying to close content though.. not sure how to avoid that. Seems like powering off is the only option.
    DS is pretty poor, Melon has no configuration options, and Desmume although the better performer needs severe overclocking to even get a pokemon game running at playable speeds. It does only support interpreter core at the moment.
    PSX is mediocre for most games, something like crash bandicoot will get about 45fps with dithering off, requires around 1500 OC to get full speed. Still lacking a dynamic recompiler core.
    GC most games run at full speed with max performance OC after a bit of tweaking, PAL seems to be the better choice in most cases, as they can reach full speed with a lower FPS.
    WII doesn't seem worth it, to get playable performance you need Max overdrive +3, Donkey Kong Country Returns got about 40-52fps with tweaking, Klonoa can run at full speed with Vsync disabled
    (53-60fps), Mario Galaxy gets around 40fps on average.

Ghost92, Shaneus and joshwaan2k like this.
  4. astrodraco

astrodraco Member

Newcomer
    Aug 6, 2018
    United States
    I can't seem to figure this one out on my own:

I installed the newest version of L4T Lakka and I can't get joy cons to work at all. They're attached when I boot, I tried detaching, booting, and then inputting them again, but they never work. I can somehow control touchscreen inputs but nothing about where it scrolls or what it selects makes sense.

Any help is beyond appreciated.

5. EmulateLife

EmulateLife GBAtemp Psycho!

May 30, 2016
    United States
    Delete Lakka folder and start over.

6. joshwaan2k

Dec 10, 2004
    PSP emu works very well anyone managed get save states working without emu crashing? Tried quite few games all lock up when choose save state.

Also Dreamcast where do i put bios for that what dir in lakka folder?

7. EmulateLife

EmulateLife GBAtemp Psycho!

May 30, 2016
    United States
    Dreamcast bios: lakka/storage/system/dc, just make the dc folder yourself.

Should have dc_boot.bin and dc_flash.bin.

joshwaan2k likes this.
  8. joshwaan2k

Dec 10, 2004
    Thank you :)

9. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    I don't suppose anyone tried Chibi Robo on Dolphin, any performance report? TY.

10. joshwaan2k

Dec 10, 2004
    PSP emu anyone managed get Vulkan to work with it. when load game it crashes but GL works fine?

Also any one managed to use save states with PSP emu seems freeze emu for me on all games tried?

11. Mario119

Mario119 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 2, 2018
    United States
    Question: I would like to experiment with Wii games on Dolphin running through Lakka, but the problem I have is that I simply can't copy the Wii ISOs over to my SD Card due to a lot of them being over 4GB in size. Is there anyway to get around this?

12. dotmick

dotmick Member

Newcomer
    Oct 7, 2018
    United Kingdom
    You might want to convert them to .wbfs format.

ELY_M likes this.
  13. Mario119

Mario119 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 2, 2018
    United States
    Ah, I had forgotten I could do that. Thanks!

14. Jackson98

Aug 8, 2017
    Australia
    I dont think the PSP/N64 cores work with Vulkan at the moment, both run very well with glcore though. Not 100% sure about the PSP save states.

Last edited by Jackson98, Jun 9, 2019
  15. joshwaan2k

Dec 10, 2004
    Thanks u cheers

16. sorabora

sorabora GBAtemp Regular

Dec 8, 2016
    United States
    Just to be certain: should we be using GL or GLCore? Thanks!

nacimem likes this.
  17. Jackson98

Aug 8, 2017
    Australia
    From what I understand glcore is more recent and puts to use certain features otherwise only available with vulkan, so If glcore works I generally always pick it over gl. For a more in depth technical analysis I'm sure you would get a better answer from one of the developers though ;).

sorabora likes this.
  18. sorabora

sorabora GBAtemp Regular

Dec 8, 2016
    United States
    Thank you! I'm new to Lakka so I had been sticking with gl. I'll try it out and see how it performs. A follow-up question, if you don't mind:

Is there a general rule when it comes to what type of overclocking to enable when you use it? For example, should I leave GPU alone and just use CPU OC? Should I do both? Or only GPU? That kind of thing. Thanks!

19. Jackson98

Aug 8, 2017
    Australia
    The GPU only is necessary if you want to use shaders/graphical improvements/increase the screen resolution, and most of the time you wont need to increase it much ;). 95% of the overclocking you will need to do is with the CPU. Their are no rules, but I personally overclock my CPU anywhere up to the 1768 mark(Max Performance) as it has been tested by the developers and deemed safe, the only downside is it drains your battery faster than normal.
    I also normally like to improve resolution as it comes at a small GPU cost. The only core that should require much overclocking at the moment or in the long run is the Dolphin one. The Playstation and Nintendo DS emulation will still need a fair boost currently, only because they are still running off interpreter cores. Before resorting to overclocking though I suggest trying to change the settings in Retroarch if your games cant reach full speed. Certain things you can do like, using PAL over NTSC(for some cores), Disable Vsync, enable Threaded Video, change the emulator CPU(very handy for Dolphin), disable dithering(PSX), can all be used to gain performance boosts and won't drain your battery any faster. Nothing is set in stone however, just play around with settings, see what you can do to get a good performance for your games and enjoy.

Last edited by Jackson98, Jun 11, 2019
    sorabora likes this.
  20. enderer

enderer GBAtemp Regular

Jul 19, 2015
    United States
    i tested new super mario bros wii in dolphin and it runs very well with 1.7ghz cpu and boost +1 gpu.

any plans to add sleep mode now that l4t ubuntu has it?

ELY_M likes this.